Page 14 of 51 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
    As others have mentioned, there 2 schollies out there. At least one will either go to another guard (Beverly, Gaffney, Newman) or a combo forward (hopefully Beren). The other possibiliy Steele will hold on and see what shakes out in the spring with decommits and transfers. Here is the depth chart next year as I see it (pure speculation based on seniority and rankings, also as we know positions are fluid).

PG Q Goodin, D Bishop
    SG P Scruggs, K Kennedy
    SF E Harden, D James
    PF N Marshall, D Ramsey
    C T Jones, Z Freemantle, D Miles

I hope Naji bulks up if he's playing PF.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Quote Originally Posted by XU 87 View Post
    That was a great class. Besides Holloway, Lyons probably would have been a hall of famer had he stayed for his senior year (he still scored over 1200 points in 3 years). Frease didn't live up to his hype, but he still scored over 1100 points and had over 700 rebounds. I think Redford left as the all time leader in 3 pointers.

That class also went to three Sweet 16's.
    I don’t think Lyons would have been a HOFer had he stayed. He was good, but doesn’t measure up to the best players we’ve had. Frease came up short for sure. We HAD to play him due to lack of other options. So he racked up some stats but I wouldn’t say he ever had even one productive year.

Almost certain that Redford didn’t have the record for 3’s

Quote Originally Posted by MHettel View Post
    I don’t think Lyons would have been a HOFer had he stayed. He was good, but doesn’t measure up to the best players we’ve had. Frease came up short for sure. We HAD to play him due to lack of other options. So he racked up some stats but I wouldn’t say he ever had even one productive year.

Kenny had an offensive rating of 112.2 in 2011 which was second on the team. His eFG% was 54.9 which put him in the top 250 in the country. His DR% was 21.8 which put him at 110th in the country. He had productive years but people thought he should have been averaging 20 and 10 so nothing he did was ever good enough.

This is a really good class on paper, and hopefully it fulfills it’s potential. But it takes years before that answer is known. Frease, Holloway, Lyons, Redford and Walsh was a class right? Perfect example of a mixed bag. One legend, a couple guys that contributed, an injury and a transfer. Trevon and Macura stand out as exceptions when you can get 2 4-year studs out of one class.

Anyway, the rankings DO have a lot to do with the number of players in the class, and keep in mind most of the 5 star guys don’t commit until later and those teams will just jump up in the rankings when that occurs. So, #4 right now, but right now isn’t what matters. Actually none of this ranking garbage matters ever. Wins matter.
    Same with Bluiett, Macura, OMara, and someone else. 2 were great. 1 was average, 1 was lackluster.

Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    Kenny had an offensive rating of 112.2 in 2011 which was second on the team. His eFG% was 54.9 which put him in the top 250 in the country. His DR% was 21.8 which put him at 110th in the country. He had productive years but people thought he should have been averaging 20 and 10 so nothing he did was ever good enough.
    I don’t know much about those specific metrics. I do know what I witnessed from him, and he was pretty dang average

Quote Originally Posted by xukeith View Post
    Same with Bluiett, Macura, OMara, and someone else. 2 were great. 1 was average, 1 was lackluster.
    Thought Ed was pretty darn good in that class. Two lackluster in that class with Makinde and Austin.

Quote Originally Posted by sirthought View Post
    Best class ever? Do we need the measuring stick on everything? Can't we just enjoy watching them play?
    I know everything shouldn't be a measuring stick, but it's the off-season, I figured some discussion would liven up the place and just get us a little more excited for X basketball. Like I said, on paper, I realize that things happen, life happens, etc. But I figured it'd be a fun little talking point since there's not much else going on right now haha.

I don't necessarily think this was the best class ever, but I figured it would be interesting to see how it compared with others, obviously we know nothing until the guys get here and what not, but just kind of mulling over, I think I have it as these three or four worth debate (going with 247 rankings:

2011 - Dez Wells (59th), Jalen Reynolds (100th), Dee Davis (103rd)
    2014 - Trevon Blueitt (39th), Makinde London (88th), JP Macura (102nd), Edmond Sumner (106th), Sean O'Mara (156th)
    2017 - Paul Scruggs (34th), Naji Marshall (58th), Elias Harden (136th)
    2019 - Zach Freemantle (103rd), Daniel Ramsey (109th), Dahmir Bishop (123rd), Dieonte Miles (184th)

Obviously 2019 will change with players moving up and down, but now that I've typed it up and looked at it, I think it's definitely between the 2014 and 2017 class on paper as the best. Pretty interesting stuff to just see I guess more than anything. I don't know. I am happy with the hiring of Travis Steele and I do believe we are trending on the right path, these aren't recruits that will give us the last 2% as of yet (per XVILLE's saying), but I do think it's a solid basis, and with Odom committed, if we could somehow get another home run with him, it would beautiful.

Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by noteggs View Post
    Thank you Greg Christopher for hiring Travis Steele on March 31! What he and his staff have been able to pull off the the last 5 months is remarkable. Not only has he (and staff) set up X for future success from our 2019 and 2020 recruits, but they also got us quality grad transfers to be competitive for the upcoming season. Well done gentlemen!
    He's already proving to be an ace recruiter. If he can coach, which I believe he can, we're gonna be Badass good.

This class had three 1000 point scorers. Another guy made almost 200 threes, which was he was brought in to do. They won 3 A-10 championships and went to the NCAA’s All 4 years, going to 3 Sweet 16’s.