Page 16 of 51 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by XU 87 View Post
    My guess is Miles is a tall and athletic guy who currently lacks basketball skills (see Aaron Williams).

For our younger folks, Aaron Williams was a 6’9” center from Chicago who could jump and run his freshman year (1989-1990) and got WAY better and played in the NBA for about 12 years.
    Williams was at XU when I was. He was a good player for sure, but for some reason never would accept my arm wrestling challenge. I used to call him “toothpicks”

Aaron Williams? One of the greatest put-backs in Xavier history against Georgetown.

May this new recruit have high character, a burning desire to develop and win, and may all that allow him to deliver his own great Xavier memories.
    X A V I E R

Quote Originally Posted by xudash View Post
    Aaron Williams? One of the greatest put-backs in Xavier history against Georgetown.

May this new recruit have high character, a burning desire to develop and win, and may all that allow him to deliver his own great Xavier memories.
    7 blocks against Loyola(Chicago) too. He was frustrating to watch as he disappeared often but Grant and he both at times were dominant.

Quote Originally Posted by xudash View Post
    1989 - 90 has some the fondest memories I have with X. Three future NBA players on the team and advancing to sweet 16 for first time in school history with that win you described. Thought we would beat Texas next since they were a 10 seed. Unfortunately, not much of a game because they were on fire and we gave up 102 points.

Almost forgot, that was the year I graduated as well...

Quote Originally Posted by markchal View Post
    A lot of the recruiting rankings of our class have to do with the size of it, right? I feel like every few years we have a giant class of 4-5 kids and everyone gushes because it's ranked so high, but then a few decommit or transfer or don't fit in. I'm really excited for the kids we have coming in, but I think we should take our class rank with a grain of salt.
    Yeah. I agree. There should be excited about how the 2019 class is shaping up. Yet, it probably makes sense to wait on feeling complete confident until the players are officially signed.

There are a few things we should keep in mind: We are one of only three schools (USC and Aburn being the other two) who have 4 commits, which means other schools will be moving up once they get more commits. All of of the recruits committing to X are ranked higher on the 24/7 site than on other sites (rivals has only one of our players in the top 100 and they rank our class 4 spots lower as 8th best class).

Still, I cannot help but be please about the players who have verbally committed. They look legitimately talented.

Steele appears to have a great "pipeline" to talented players. Who knows maybe he pulls out a 5 star. You'll have "decommits' but this guy never stops with the relentless recruiting efforts. Just moves on to next best alternative. His contact list must be huge. We'll have to see with the X's and O's, but man, this guy has a great rep as a recruiter. I think he kills it with the 2020 class.
    2023 Sweet 16

Quote Originally Posted by bobbiemcgee View Post
    Steele appears to have a great "pipeline" to talented players. Who knows maybe he pulls out a 5 star. You'll have "decommits' but this guy never stops with the relentless recruiting efforts. Just moves on to next best alternative. His contact list must be huge. We'll have to see with the X's and O's, but man, this guy has a great rep as a recruiter. I think he kills it with the 2020 class.
    on the 24/7 site they have a section where you can see all of the players that they have listed as having received OFFERS from X for various years. The Verbal Commits site has the same thing, but it also shows the current roster and breaks the positions down even better. According to that site, X has already offered at least 1 high school FRESHMAN. The twitter feeds on those sites frequently mention what coach is in to see which player and which player has received an offer from what school. From looking at these sites frequently, its easy to see that recruiting is a 24/7-365 day a year job. X still has a lot of offers out to players and there are still quite a few players in the top 100-150 for 2019 that are undecided. In addition, there are very few schools that have any commitments for the 2020 class, and x has lots of offers out to players in that class too.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbiemcgee View Post
    It definitely helped getting Jonah Hayes, and Ben Johnson as well. I definitely think our entire staff is recruiting at a high level, hell even Dante was vital in getting Dahmir Bishop. They are definitely relentless in the recruiting game, I think as long as the on court product continues to be good, and we keep making good runs in the tournament this staff has the ability to land a "5 star" guy. Odom is a promising start to the 2020 class, only time will tell obviously, but we're definitely in a good place with recruiting. I just hope we can keep onto Hayes and Johnson for a few years, because I'm sure they're gonna get poached for a HC job soon.

2019 class rankings from 24/7 are pretty interesting right now. Mack and Steele duking it out! LOL

https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Ba...eTeamRankings/

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    2019 class rankings from 24/7 are pretty interesting right now. Mack and Steele duking it out! LOL

https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Ba...eTeamRankings/
    Gotta give Mack and his staff credit for being able to recruit under these circumstances.
    Last edited by XU 87; 09-18-2018 at 04:30 PM.