Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15232425
    For Noteggs:

So a lot of people don't understand the Holgorsen move, but I for 1, 100% do. Holgy wanted an extension, to get him through one more recruiting cycle, and our AD Shane Lyons did not feel Holgy earned that after a very underwhelming season, where we won 8 games, but were 30 minutes away from a Big 12 Championship experience. Shane Lyons and Holgorsen never really saw eye to eye much here, Holgy's biggest gripe was how poor our athletic facilities are (which they are, may be last in the conference, and need a lot of revamping), Lyons has announced plan to improve them, however it's not coming at a fast enough rate, and Dana's personality can rub people the wrong way. When he first got here, he was very arrogant, though I believe over the last 8 years he became humbled, and really started embracing the state, as evident by all of the cool traditions he implemented in his time here. This next season for WVU will be a tough one, we don't have much of a roster, and I'm looking at a 6 win season, that would have gotten Holgorsen fired, which is also another reason he wanted an extension and to try to secure the job. Houston's number one donor, is a big oil guy, who threw a lot of cash at Holgorsen because they are friends, and gave him an insane assistant salary pool, Holgy got what he wanted, job security, and a school/area he is very familiar with. In his penned goodbye letter, I do genuinely believe he enjoyed the state, and the people and relationships he made, but let's face it, WVU has a very fickle fan base, and will bitch about basically everything for a lack of better words. I think the break up at the time was a great move for both parties, and I have no ill will towards Holgorsen. I respect everything he did transitioning WVU football into the Big 12, and stabilizing the program a bit, he ended up as #2 on the all time wins list, passing a name who we don't speak around these parts, and genuinely deserves the best as Houston.

As for the Neal Brown hire, Shane Lyons hit an absolute home run with it. He is the complete anti-thesis of Dana Holgorsen. Huge family man, gives a lot of program access, and really seems to have a pulse on the fan base and area as he's from Danville, Kentucky. In his introductory press conference, he said all the right things, while seeming incredibly genuine about it, not to mention the way he left Troy thanking the fans at half time of a basketball game. Coach Brown mentioned past WVU legends, and told them to come around any time (something Pat White and Steve Slaton felt Dana did not do, as they said they felt a bit under-appreciated when coming back to visit), and referenced Coach Don Nehlen who truly took the WVU program to new heights over the course of 2 decades. He seems to really understand the culture, and emphasized making sure he gets the recruits in state whom are capable of playing at WVU (something Holgy wasn't great at either). Neal Brown is a player's first coach, but even better such an incredibly stand up guy. I could ramble on for DAYS about how perfect this hire was, but I won't bore you anymore than I probably already have. I think he's going to lead WVU to greater success than Holgorsen, and it's going to be easier for our fan base to accept him, because he seems like "one of us" even referencing the hard blue collar working spirit of native West Virginians. I'm for one all in with the hire, and happy for everybody involved.
    Last edited by GIMMFD; 01-10-2019 at 08:43 PM.

Thanks for update. For some reason, after spending time in the state, I’ve become a quasi WVU fan. Mainly because of the people in the state and fan base -die hards but not over the top. Might be a long 2019 for you sports wise (First X then WVU). I’ve heard that lack of depth thing somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by noteggs View Post
    Thanks for update. For some reason, after spending time in the state, I’ve become a quasi WVU fan. Mainly because of the people in the state and fan base -die hards but not over the top. Might be a long 2019 for you sports wise (First X then WVU). I’ve heard that lack of depth thing somewhere else.
    Haha you should mosey on over to Morgantown for a game, we're a much nicer bunch in the Big 12 than the old Big East days, you'll have enough pepperoni rolls and moonshine to hold you over for a life time. The thing about WVU football is, we have no professional team, so it's all we know. We follow it in a die hard fashion, Neal Brown is already hitting the recruiting trail hard, and has potential to really do wonders for us, as long as the fan base can stay patient for a couple years, we should be in good shape. I've never had much success in picking sports teams (Panthers and Charlotte Hornets as well, ouch!) but doesn't stop me from following them through thick and thin!

Is this tweet Greg Christopher taking a savage shot at UC?

Greg Christopher

@GC_XUAthletics
    Follow Follow @GC_XUAthletics
    More Greg Christopher Retweeted Tim Brando
    This has been interesting to watch, adding analysts to certain games specifically to talk about players’ pro prospects. Essentially using one platform to promote another. Akin to what midweek G5 college football games are: 3 hour promos for the big P5 games that weekend.