Reclassification fast-tracks prospects college NBA draft

Pretty interesting article about reclassification being on the rise amongst the top recruits. We're seeing top prospects of class of 2020 reclassifying for 2019, etc.

I didn't think this was such an easy thing to pull off---graduating high school early. I actually did graduate a year earlier than the class I came up through school with, but I planned for that years in advance because of something I wanted to do before college. Had to work my butt off to get the requirements completed.

The way the NBA values youth, I can see these kids gunning to get through to the chance of a draft opportunity as soon as possible. Not sure that's always the best for a person, basketball or not.

How reclassification fast-tracks top prospects to college and the NBA

I wonder if reclassification is a thing that some of these basketball based academies stress in "recruiting" of high school talent. Being able to go to summer class, etc. to finish off credits required to graduate early, I definitely could have graduated high school early, however I also went to a pretty crappy public school and that was what, 8 years ago or so, but I feel like these academies probably have a system built in to where they can help these guys out. I can only imagine what it's like now with this wave of wanting to get into college and then the NBA quicker.

I do agree with the statement that it's not always the best situation for people, for players like Marvin Bagley, sure, you're 6'10, and a physical freak. I think you'd have to be a top 15 recruit in the country to really benefit from it, as those are usually the ones that are the most "NBA ready" while others should probably just take that extra year of high school and develop their game. It's a interesting line between having youth and potential, but also being developed enough at that point to be worth a draft pick.

Quote Originally Posted by GIMMFD View Post
    I wonder if reclassification is a thing that some of these basketball based academies stress in "recruiting" of high school talent. Being able to go to summer class, etc. to finish off credits required to graduate early, I definitely could have graduated high school early, however I also went to a pretty crappy public school and that was what, 8 years ago or so, but I feel like these academies probably have a system built in to where they can help these guys out. I can only imagine what it's like now with this wave of wanting to get into college and then the NBA quicker.

I do agree with the statement that it's not always the best situation for people, for players like Marvin Bagley, sure, you're 6'10, and a physical freak. I think you'd have to be a top 15 recruit in the country to really benefit from it, as those are usually the ones that are the most "NBA ready" while others should probably just take that extra year of high school and develop their game. It's a interesting line between having youth and potential, but also being developed enough at that point to be worth a draft pick.
    I agree with a lot of your points but I think for a lot of NBA caliber recruits, it's all about getting to that 2nd contract. So the earlier they can gain service time the better.

Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    I agree with a lot of your points but I think for a lot of NBA caliber recruits, it's all about getting to that 2nd contract. So the earlier they can gain service time the better.
    Hmm that's a really good point, I didn't really think of that. I guess in my mind I'm thinking, wouldn't you rather be more developed that way it reflects in the league so you could get a higher payout?? But then again, I'm not in their position. You tell me that I could be making a couple million at 19 years old, I'm probably going to take it run, rather than look at a one more year investment of growing as a player and getting an extra $5-10 down the line. But it makes sense, especially considering all of the factors that go into contracts, a lot of guys get paid off potential and name in my opinion.

As stated in the article, guys view it as being better to develop their game at the college level over their high school program. So even if they aren't drafted right away, they are still working towards that in a more focused (to them) environment.