Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cintas to host 2021 Regional games

Mama always told me, stupid is as stupid does. @danagardens

Oooh well that's some exciting news, I think that'd be a fun environment to see as I've never been to a NCAA Tournament game, Cintas is a nice facility and I'm not terribly shocked we'd get a chance at Regionals! Would love if we were able to play that at home, is there rules against that?

Quote Originally Posted by GIMMFD View Post
    Would love if we were able to play that at home, is there rules against that?
    No, it's highly encouraged in order to boost attendance. In many venues, these games are not particularly well attended.

I'm pretty shocked by this. I always thought that Kevin McGuff was the driving force for Cintas getting the NCAA's back in 2010 and 2011, seeing the tremendous talent that his teams had, and the likely-hood of that his teams would go deep in the NCAA's.

The program hasn't been remotely competitive since.

Unless you know your program has got a good chance of making the NCAA's, it seems kind of pointless to host these games. If your team doesn't make it, you end up hosting an event that is likely to be poorly attended. Unfortunately, this is the reality of the women's game when the host team isn't in it.

So I'm wondering what's up with this news. This is the last piece of news I expected coming from Cintas Center today.

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    No, it's highly encouraged in order to boost attendance. In many venues, these games are not particularly well attended.
    Oh, never really knew that. That would be a sight to see, Cintas full and rocking for a game in the tournament. I feel like there'd be a record for beer sales that day, and boy Dana's would be a delight. Man I miss Cincinnati.

Freshman
    I would guess there will be a very good women's team placed in the region within driving distance (Louisville immediately jumps to mind) that could fill some of the seats. It would be a minor miracle for this team to be in the tournament in three years, let alone advancing to the second weekend.

Kentucky and Ohio State have had some pretty good teams of late as well, so they are definite possibilities to be in the region. Maybe Tennessee?

Quote Originally Posted by cinskyline View Post
    I'm pretty shocked by this. I always thought that Kevin McGuff was the driving force for Cintas getting the NCAA's back in 2010 and 2011, seeing the tremendous talent that his teams had, and the likely-hood of that his teams would go deep in the NCAA's.

The program hasn't been remotely competitive since.

Unless you know your program has got a good chance of making the NCAA's, it seems kind of pointless to host these games. If your team doesn't make it, you end up hosting an event that is likely to be poorly attended. Unfortunately, this is the reality of the women's game when the host team isn't in it.

So I'm wondering what's up with this news. This is the last piece of news I expected coming from Cintas Center today.
    These are Regional games(Sweet Sixteen/Elite Eight). Not the first/second round games. This has nothing to do with wether you make the tourney or not.
    Mama always told me, stupid is as stupid does. @danagardens

I thought the Cintas was just a bit too small to host games?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ArizonaXUGrad View Post
    I thought the Cintas was just a bit too small to host games?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Not for the women.