Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MHettel View Post
    Confusing. he went to school here. That plays into his interest in the role, and our interest in continuity.

He's a low risk, rock-solid guy that can help bridge the gap from the winning tradition to the bright future.

Easy choice and a great chocie.

Not saying that it will happen, but potential futue XU Head Coach in Dante....
    I do apologize to "Q". But I am fairly sure you made my point.
    I have seen only two great plays: Hamlet and put the ball into the basket

Congrats to coach Jackson.

Dante struck me as a big talker...as in, always talking all the time. Not sure if that's a plus or minus, but I'll hope it's a plus. Players need someone who communicates and is in their ear.

He was a decent player, who is familiar with the Xavier system. This is an advantage if Steele implements a similar offense and defense. This could help the other coaches, as well.

For those hoping for a coach with ties to a particular region for recruiting...I get it. That would be nice. But think about all of the top D1 players from Ohio and the Greater Cincinnati region who have decided to play elsewhere. Could a young Dante make some inroads on that region while working on his recruiting skills? I'd be pretty happy if we nabbed a Vincent Edwards or Luke Kinnard. Also, coach just might ask Dante to pick a region of the country and start networking fresh. It's happened before.

I'm actually interested to see how much Steele changes in the system. Does he select assistants based on what they picked up from previous mentors? Will we see shades of Minnesota/Georgia in our defense or offense now? Curious how much Dante has picked up from other coaches.

Freshman
    Quote Originally Posted by joe titan View Post
    "Go" sorry to use Socratic method here but why was DJ hired--that is what particular skills/abilities/knowledge/qualities does he bring to the table ? Frankly I think that answer is rather simple and does not involve being former player/grad assistant. Is the answer leadership ? I knew I could get something correct today. But certainly Hayes/Johnson will be comfortable with that.

Now I'm not suggesting there will be dissension in the coaching ranks just that Hayes/Johnson expectedly may be uneasy and slower to embrace the situation.
    To answer your question, Dante has skills/abilities/knowledge/qualities in the form of having played and learned Xavier's brand of packline defense under Miller (2 seasons) and Mack (2 seasons) - 3 seasons with Steele too. Steele has stated he plans on running a very similar system, with maybe some added pressure from time to time. Who better to teach it than someone who played it extensively?

On the recruiting end, Steele has said he plans on being more hands-on than a lot of head coaches. In that regard, it seems maybe he valued what Dante offers from the coaching standpoint more than his recruiting resume.

I’m also in the group that thinks that Dante has probably developed solid contacts in the Ohio-Kentucky-Indiana areas, and will be an asset to recruiting in this area.

Bringing Dante back in, especially since X will have so many new parts this year, should help Steele to teach the system during practice too.

Certainly not a home run or flashy pick, but a solid pickup nonetheless.

Congrats DJ and welcome back!

Here's a review from a former teammate of his:

Tu Holloway
    ‏@SFFiveTu
    Rampage Jackson.. My brother.. The best teammate I ever hooped with.. Team 1st regardless.. Was always completely locked in whether it was conditioning, lifting, video he was 100 percent devoted to that X.. I watched him for 3 years and admired his ways.. 50 Bricks lifestyle..

No idea what 50 Bricks lifestyle means, but that is a pretty ringing endorsement from one of XU's best players ever.

Sophomore
    Always liked Dante as a player. He was a leader an an attitude guy. I think he will be great for X

Quote Originally Posted by sirthought View Post
    Congrats to coach Jackson.

Dante struck me as a big talker...as in, always talking all the time. Not sure if that's a plus or minus, but I'll hope it's a plus. Players need someone who communicates and is in their ear.

He was a decent player, who is familiar with the Xavier system. This is an advantage if Steele implements a similar offense and defense. This could help the other coaches, as well.

For those hoping for a coach with ties to a particular region for recruiting...I get it. That would be nice. But think about all of the top D1 players from Ohio and the Greater Cincinnati region who have decided to play elsewhere. Could a young Dante make some inroads on that region while working on his recruiting skills? I'd be pretty happy if we nabbed a Vincent Edwards or Luke Kinnard. Also, coach just might ask Dante to pick a region of the country and start networking fresh. It's happened before.

I remember as a player he yapped all the time. It really got under Jason Love's skin in Puerto Rico I think and you just have to roll your eyes sometimes. Tu Holloway LOVES Dante. hope

I'm actually interested to see how much Steele changes in the system. Does he select assistants based on what they picked up from previous mentors? Will we see shades of Minnesota/Georgia in our defense or offense now? Curious how much Dante has picked up from other coaches.
    I remember as a player he yapped all the time. It really got under Jason Love's skin in Puerto Rico I think and you just have to roll your eyes sometimes. Tu Holloway LOVES Dante. hope

I think this is a good get. I think all teams need assistants that are young and hungry. The Johnson hire has yet to pay but we will wait and see.

Junior
    No idea what 50 Bricks lifestyle means
    Maybe it means shooting jumpers over the summer until your arms are so tired that you brick 50 shots.