Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
    Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Have you ever competed in D1 Athletics? Do you honestly believe its possible to make it to that level with "only giving a shit once in a while." You are making a serious character insult based on someone's temperament during arguably one of the most stressful moments of their life. And at a former Xavier player at that. Unreal.
    There is plenty of evidence in games we could compile that would provide a pretty good case that Kaiser has that "disease." With that said, we don't know what goes on at practice etc. However, as many coaches say, you play the way you practice.

I do think it is very possible for a D1 player to get by just on talent and not give great effort....everyone is talented at the D1 level, I think what separates people at that level is the mental aspect of the game and the effort employed. Those are the types of things that separates a good player from a great player.

Lastly, if this is "one of the most stressful situations" of your life, that's a pretty damn good life, and if this is the way Kaiser acts during those times, that is pretty telling.

I wonder if people are just down on Kaiser because he left early. He was here 3 years (not one) and from the coaches encouraging tweets, one might suspect that he did pretty good and they are hoping he succeeds.
    Guess I'll be in their camp and hope he succeeds as well.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    I wonder if people are just down on Kaiser because he left early. He was here 3 years (not one) and from the coaches encouraging tweets, one might suspect that he did pretty good and they are hoping he succeeds.
    people are down on Kaiser because he displayed that "disease" throughout his career and then blamed how he was used. Rightfully so, it pisses people off when people don't give proper effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    people are down on Kaiser because he displayed that "disease" throughout his career and then blamed how he was used. Rightfully so, it pisses people off when people don't give proper effort.
    I've always thought that credit is earned, not given.

Sophomore
    Off topic but here is the Japanese guy from George Washington with a chance to make Nets, with Marshall beating Wichita St and some Midd Tennessee guys doing well our early season schedule looks better from last years
    https://www.netsdaily.com/2018/7/13/...m-japan-to-nba

Quote Originally Posted by whopper View Post
    Off topic but here is the Japanese guy from George Washington with a chance to make Nets, with Marshall beating Wichita St and some Midd Tennessee guys doing well our early season schedule looks better from last years
    https://www.netsdaily.com/2018/7/13/...m-japan-to-nba
    I recall this guy. Caught parts of some GW games past few years. He was decent at GW and a tough kid. Good for him.
    Zip'em Up!

Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    To be fair, you're going to expect the coaches/social media to be encouraging for Kaiser because if they didn't it would look bad for the program no matter what they think of him. I do think he was absent a lot, and always left more to be desired, but I liked Kaiser just fine, I want him to succeed as well. But there were obvious moments of just "ugh come on man, get it together" and nobody can deny that.

Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    Ignoring the rightful indignation some apparently feel for the perceived lack of effort by someone on a team they are not even a part of, did I miss where Kaiser complained about how he was used?

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Have you ever competed in D1 Athletics? Do you honestly believe its possible to make it to that level with "only giving a shit once in a while." You are making a serious character insult based on someone's temperament during arguably one of the most stressful moments of their life. And at a former Xavier player at that. Unreal.

LOL. SHOCK! /s

I think it happens frequently enough that people become D1 athletes on hitting the genetic lottery without real effort or skill set developed to compete up to their potential. Guys even make it to the pros and they don't really care about playing the sport at that point but it's hard to turn down the money. Low effort happens all the time.

It is a character insult to Gates, but one that's understandable in many regards. Maybe it wasn't a great fit for him. Maybe he was injured. We kept waiting for him to turn a corner. He made some good plays and contributed to several wins. But the eye test is still telling. He left before hitting close to his ceiling and now he might not get a chance to reach it.

Yeah, if this is the most stressful moments in these athletically gifted young men's lives, then they have a bright life ahead of them.

All-Conference
    People are down on Kaiser because he didn't make a shot in March, the most important month. That's pretty much it.

He was a key piece to a Final Four run. He was the stretch 4 that made it all work and made us very hard to guard. If he hits 3's in March like he did in November, we're in the F4.