Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Currently residing in Section 105, Row J, after 17 years in Section 104, Row I

FCC stadium rumor

I heard a rumor purportedly from a source close to ownership that the West End stadium will not be built. Instead FCC will continue to play at Nippert as an MLS franchise. I find this very hard to believe. Has anyone else heard this?
    Xavier always goes to the NCAA tournament...Projecting anything less than that this season feels like folly--Eamonn Brennan, ESPN (Summer Shootaround, 2012)

I would be surprised if MLS allowed that.

xu95

All-Conference
    Why do you find it very hard to believe? Because it makes the most sense?

Unrelated, but we went to another game in the dome in Atlanta last weekend. You don’t need seats because nobody sits the whole game!

Currently residing in Section 105, Row J, after 17 years in Section 104, Row I
    Quote Originally Posted by xu95 View Post
    I would be surprised if MLS allowed that.

xu95
    Part of the rumor dealt with that argument. MLS currently allows some teams to use non-dedicated stadiums already. FCC would be simply joining that group of franchises.
    Xavier always goes to the NCAA tournament...Projecting anything less than that this season feels like folly--Eamonn Brennan, ESPN (Summer Shootaround, 2012)

Quote Originally Posted by X-man View Post
    Part of the rumor dealt with that argument. MLS currently allows some teams to use non-dedicated stadiums already. FCC would be simply joining that group of franchises.
    But I'm pretty sure, and take this as coming from someone who doesn't even live in Cincinnati anymore and has no dog in this fight, is that MLS only agreed to give Cincinnati a team because of the stadium being built.

Now maybe they will allow them to do it for some time, but I can't imagine they will allow them to do it forever.

xu95

I’ll start by saying I know NOTHING about this situation, but “non-dedicated” is not as important as “quality”, I would think. Atlanta plays in the Falcons new domed stadium. It’s not “dedicated”, but it’s pretty sweet!

I attended last Sunday’s Atlanta game with a Cincy buddy who was under the impression it was a condition of moving up to get the new stadium. I don’t know if that’s accurate. He also said Cincinnati politics was fully capable of messing this up. He’s probably correct on that point.

But those MLS franchises control the revenue stream in those stadiums. Atlanta plays in the Falcons stadium because Arthur Blank owns both teams. The Sounders play at Century Link because Paul Allen is the owner or part owner of both them and the Seahawks. The Yankees own part of NYC FC, etc. FC Cincinnati doesn't own Nippert. They have a sweetheart deal but they don't own it.

Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    But those MLS franchises control the revenue stream in those stadiums. Atlanta plays in the Falcons stadium because Arthur Blank owns both teams. The Sounders play at Century Link because Paul Allen is the owner or part owner of both them and the Seahawks. The Yankees own part of NYC FC, etc. FC Cincinnati doesn't own Nippert. They have a sweetheart deal but they don't own it.
    That’s a good point. Speaking of revenue streams, I had a $2 hot dog and other dirt cheap food at the Atlanta game. They have a cool gimmick, but they don’t lose any money because of it. There are plenty of ways to take your money. The first time we went we had access to the “EVERYTHING is free club”. Thank God for Uber!!!

I heard a rumor purportedly from a source close to ownership that the West End stadium will not be built. Instead FCC will continue to play at Nippert as an MLS franchise. I find this very hard to believe. Has anyone else heard this?
    We can only hope that is the case!