Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    The nba is a tough league. It’s both a business and sport. Teams must balance winning and putting butts in seats.

NBA players that aren’t stars all have a specific role. Players unwilling to complete those roles don’t last.

Gates, Macura, Tre, even Crawford all have the ability to fulfill one of those roles. Whether they park their ego to do it remains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ArizonaXUGrad View Post
    The nba is a tough league. It’s both a business and sport. Teams must balance winning and putting butts in seats.

NBA players that aren’t stars all have a specific role. Players unwilling to complete those roles don’t last.

Gates, Macura, Tre, even Crawford all have the ability to fulfill one of those roles. Whether they park their ego to do it remains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I kind of think Crawford has answered that question for us. Thats dude is instant offense and an absolute gunner. But for whatever reason, he cant stick with a team. Something off the court is his issue.

I think Crawfords issue is the NBA doesn't like his shooting metrics.. his true shooting % isn't that great.. But the man does get buckets...

Quote Originally Posted by MHettel View Post
    I kind of think Crawford has answered that question for us. Thats dude is instant offense and an absolute gunner. But for whatever reason, he cant stick with a team. Something off the court is his issue.
    By “off the court”, do you mean “between his ears”?

SLU GRAD, XAVIER SUPERFAN D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    I also think part of Crawford's problem (maybe I am making this up) is that he requires a hire NBA minimum salary than a younger similar player. It is probably hard for older players with some NBA experience and season under their belt who kind of bounce around to fully stick when there a similar younger cheaper option.

Again maybe that has nothing to do with it but I have read other places NBA execs and former players talk about how as an end of bench NBA vet who has bounced around you can do everything right in practice, camps, etc but if there is a guy who is similar and younger and cheaper (or hey need more depth at a different position) you can be let go just like that.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Two-way contracts are not guaranteed right? JP couple be cut after summer league or after training camp, or anytime during the season?
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    I also think part of Crawford's problem (maybe I am making this up) is that he requires a hire NBA minimum salary than a younger similar player. It is probably hard for older players with some NBA experience and season under their belt who kind of bounce around to fully stick when there a similar younger cheaper option.

Again maybe that has nothing to do with it but I have read other places NBA execs and former players talk about how as an end of bench NBA vet who has bounced around you can do everything right in practice, camps, etc but if there is a guy who is similar and younger and cheaper (or hey need more depth at a different position) you can be let go just like that.
    David West is in his 3rd year accepting the league minimum. I guess that is league minimum for his 15 years playing in the NBA as opposed to a rookie getting a league minimum.
    I don't know the pay scale.
    I do know West got roughly $1,000,000 this year as a league minimum.

Googled NBA league minimum and got this:

NBA two-way players will earn $77,250, prorated for days spent on an NBA G League roster, and the NBA rookie minimum salary, prorated for the days with their NBA team, for maximum potential earnings of $385,000 next season. This season, 83 players across all 30 NBA teams signed two-way contracts.Apr 17, 2018

Quote Originally Posted by xu82 View Post
    By “off the court”, do you mean “between his ears”?
    I just mean that if you watch him play, he seems like a guy that you would want to get minutes. Without going too over the top, imagine a heater like him that you could bring off the bench and give a ball dominant guy a much needed rest. Give lebron a 5 minute break and let a guy like Crawford just run and gun for a few minutes. Force the other team to speed up the pace and chase him aroudn while your main guy gets a breather. it just seems like you'd want a guy liek that.

and also, in blowout situations, you can bring him in and just turn him loose. maybe had can rattle off 20 qucik points and get your team back in it. Or, the worst case scenario is that you starters get some rest and you lose anyway....

So, yeah, something else is teh reason he doesnt stick in teh NBA. Maybe he's a crappy teammate and guys just dont like him. Or maybe he's totally uncoachable (attitude) or cant (or wont) run the plays.

We got good dudes like Tre and JP that have ALL the will and desire to make it but just come up short on the "god given" skills. And then you have Crawford, who seemingly is the exact opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by xukeith View Post
    Googled NBA league minimum and got this:

NBA two-way players will earn $77,250, prorated for days spent on an NBA G League roster, and the NBA rookie minimum salary, prorated for the days with their NBA team, for maximum potential earnings of $385,000 next season. This season, 83 players across all 30 NBA teams signed two-way contracts.Apr 17, 2018
    This is what I got, its not a huge disparity so maybe I was making that up.

0: $582,180
    1: $936,932
    2: $1,050,262
    3: $1,088,038
    4: $1,125,816
    5: $1,220,257
    6: $1,314,700
    7: $1,409,141
    8: $1,503,583
    9: $1,511,068
    10+: $1,662,176