Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Traditional Four Year Players

I had a thought with all of the transferring, committing, de-committing, re-committing, etc. that happens in the modern world of college basketball, that it is now incredibly rare for a player to just play four years after only committing to one school during their recruitment and career.

In the last 10-11 years of Xavier basketball, the only players I can think of that would fit under this would be guys like JP Macura, Sean O'Mara, and Dee Davis. I'm sure I'm missing guys, but it sheds light on how rare it is. Everyone else either committed somewhere else originally, transferred, redshirted, left early, had academic issues, etc.

Obviously, X has no one that fits that as a senior year this year with Kaiser leaving, Q and Tyrique could be the next ones.

Am I missing anyone?

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve A View Post
    I had a thought with all of the transferring, committing, de-committing, re-committing, etc. that happens in the modern world of college basketball, that it is now incredibly rare for a player to just play four years after only committing to one school during their recruitment and career.

In the last 10-11 years of Xavier basketball, the only players I can think of that would fit under this would be guys like JP Macura, Sean O'Mara, and Dee Davis. I'm sure I'm missing guys, but it sheds light on how rare it is. Everyone else either committed somewhere else originally, transferred, redshirted, left early, had academic issues, etc.

Obviously, X has no one that fits that as a senior year this year with Kaiser leaving, Q and Tyrique could be the next ones.

Am I missing anyone?
    You couldn't think of anyone else?
    And why does it matter if they committed elsewhere beforehand?

I thought Trevon played for us for 4 years.
    Must be wrong.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    Must be wrong.
    He verballed to UCLA originally, so he would not qualify.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    Must be wrong.
    Yes, Yre played 4 straight years for X. Can’t believe you guys missed that.

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    He verballed to UCLA originally, so he would not qualify.
    James Farr also wouldn't qualify because he held an offer from Ball State.

Quote Originally Posted by XMuskieFTW View Post
    James Farr also wouldn't qualify because he held an offer from Ball State.
    Did he commit to Ball State?

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    Did he commit to Ball State?
    Verbals are not binding --- there is nothing official about them. Even if Tre submitted an LOI to UCLA but was given his release by that school, he STILL played 4 successive years in an XU uniform and 0 years at UCLA. If Curtis doesn't select Xavier when all is said and done, would he not be able say that he was a 4-year player for Kansas, UNC, UK, or some other college considered to be a better basketball school than X?

Quote Originally Posted by muskienick View Post
    Verbals are not binding --- there is nothing official about them. Even if Tre submitted an LOI to UCLA but was given his release by that school, he STILL played 4 successive years in an XU uniform and 0 years at UCLA. If Curtis doesn't select Xavier when all is said and done, would he not be able say that he was a 4-year player for Kansas, UNC, UK, or some other college considered to be a better basketball school than X?
    I didn't create the test. You'll have to talk to the OP about that. I'm simply trying to apply it.

He's just stating his perception that student athletes used to commit to one school and play four years (thus the term "commit") and is speculating/wondering how many of Xavier's players fit that mold in the recent past.

I don't see anything wrong with that line of inquiry.

BTW: Everyone is free to participate...or not.
    I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I drink 2XS.