Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tre

Walk-On
    Tre was a great college player. He absolutely cut it in the Big East. He was clearly exposed in some games but to act as if a 2000 point scorer and among the final 16 for player of the year in all of college basketball is not that good is mind boggling to me. Like others have said, the NBA is a different animal. There have been similar players like Tre who made it for a little (i.e. Jimmer Fredette,guard on Duke can't remember his name) based solely on his shooting. I'm not saying he will make it as i have always felt he had some challenges but perhaps he can find the right fit. NBA is about speed, quickness, and outside shooting. Its also about finding the right system. Similar to the hiesman winners that do great in college because of the system but fail in the NFL. Good luck to Tre, He was pretty much the only reason X made the tourney and went to the Elite 8 last year.

Sophomore
    Trevon needs to take a cue from Kyle Korver about how he can make it in the league. He can play that kind of a role if he can improve his shooting a little bit

Quote Originally Posted by scoscox View Post
    Trevon needs to take a cue from Kyle Korver about how he can make it in the league. He can play that kind of a role if he can improve his shooting a little bit
    Korver is probably one of the 5 best shooters of all time... not sure that is blueprint for Tre to make it.

Junior
    Never say never...every NBA roster has a marginal player who someone thinks is worth a roster spot. Won't be surprised to see him in an NBA uniform at some point. Maybe not for long, but maybe.

Sophomore
    It is incredible how different the college and NBA games are. As a 50 year watcher of both (Alcindor and 69 Knicks are earliest memories at age 13) the college game has so much more vibrancy. Unbelievable talent in NBA, breathtaking athletes but getting to be like watching Roadrunner v Coyote..both punching a clock to a pre ordained script. Loved the last 4 years and looking forward to next year

Quote Originally Posted by whopper View Post
    It is incredible how different the college and NBA games are. As a 50 year watcher of both (Alcindor and 69 Knicks are earliest memories at age 13) the college game has so much more vibrancy. Unbelievable talent in NBA, breathtaking athletes but getting to be like watching Roadrunner v Coyote..both punching a clock to a pre ordained script. Loved the last 4 years and looking forward to next year
    Alcinder never played for the Knicks. He was a Milwaukee Buck before playing for LA. He teamed there with the Big O to win a championship. Willis Reed was the Knick center. :).

But I get what you’re saying. After the Royals left Cincinnati in 1974, I mostly lost interest in the NBA. Bird and Magic made it interesting at times, but I’ve paid much more attention to college than the NBA, especially when comparing the regular season games.

I hope that Tre gets a realistic shot at the NBA, but I don’t feel good about his chances of being more than a fill-in or role player. His game will transfer over to European leagues much more readily. Playing in the top leagues in Spain, France, etc. is still a heck of a good accomplishment.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Braun View Post
    Korver is probably one of the 5 best shooters of all time... not sure that is blueprint for Tre to make it.
    I don't see any other role he could possibly play. He is too limited athletically and off the dribble to do anything other than be run and shoot off a thousand screens. That's basically what we did with him this year.

I don't see any other role he could possibly play. He is too limited athletically and off the dribble to do anything other than be run and shoot off a thousand screens. That's basically what we did with him this year.
    That is true, I was more or less questioning the chance of achieving “one of greatest shooters ever” status. Hes a real good shooter but not elite IMO. Hopefully he still makes a ton of cash playing ball.

Generously, I think Tre's NBA ceiling is Doug McDermott. Very different college games, but Tre would struggle to play in a similar style in the NBA. He could be a guy who you'd have to respect for a quick shot off a pick and roll either over or under.

Sophomore
    Alcindor in college, knicks in the pros. Then Knicks beat Alcindor first year in pros, and on and on till today I am 63 retired and nursing a torn calf from playing over 50 basketball. That is how much I love basketball(and hardly hit a fair ball in baseball). I actually met the big O at Prime after my daughter's graduation from X last year I said "sir I am honored to be in your presence" on Father's Day.
    Tre will have to "catch fire" in a situation where he is called up to replace somebody and will do fine in Europe. We kind of forget that if Tre (or JP, Karem, Sean) go to Europe they will be replacing someone who many not be willing to give up their spot easily. It must be very competitive to be a marginal pro.