Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Tre

Mama always told me, stupid is as stupid does. @danagardens

All-Conference
    I would be very surprised if either made a roster, but would be happy if they did.

Sophomore
    Tre is getting a lot of workouts. I have no idea what that means, but seems like a good sign. He's gonna end up with 16 workouts or so according to that video, so that's more than half the league.

Freshman
    Have a friend who works in the nba. He’s been in the team’s draft room for the last few days. Some interesting tidbits. Grayson, Donte DiVencenzo and Huerter from Maryland all tested out top five in athletic ability. Grayson best in the draft. 37 inch vertical with one step is the metric I recall and there are many. The thought is he’s a freak athlete and a great competitor and his shot will improve. DiVencenzo getting a lot of attention. Villanova has 4 guys who will get drafted in first round. Tre Bluiett not getting a mention. When he worked out the take was what we all know - nice shot. But defense is a struggle as is beating the defender on the dribble. One coach said and I’m quoting - the kid is a “one trick pony”. But that is one coach in a league full of them and it’s a shooters league so it’s a good trick to have. Wish Tre the best.

Sophomore
    This is the downside of rooting for a real team. We never had the real stud to totally take over the game and make their own shot; Trevon was as close as we had. Except for Sumner(who met all the metrics) there has not been enormous NBA interest on these X players. I actually appreciate it now even more as kind of a purist how well we played without any NBA locks. I hope someone breaks through and it will probably be Tre. Man is it tough to make the NBA and I would have thought Malcolm Foster, and Kellan Martin would be "locks" and even they get limited interest but Khyrie Thomas is a "lock" due to the metrics. Not the way I learned the game but this is 2018. The fact that Villanova has 4 first round draftees is amazing and shows the mountain we had to climb..in hindsight the Villanova losses had to do with them looking past opponents(Butler, Creighton, Providence, St Johns) and they would never look past Xavier which is a testament to Xavier(I guess)

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by whopper View Post
    This is the downside of rooting for a real team. We never had the real stud to totally take over the game and make their own shot; Trevon was as close as we had. Except for Sumner(who met all the metrics) there has not been enormous NBA interest on these X players. I actually appreciate it now even more as kind of a purist how well we played without any NBA locks. I hope someone breaks through and it will probably be Tre. Man is it tough to make the NBA and I would have thought Malcolm Foster, and Kellan Martin would be "locks" and even they get limited interest but Khyrie Thomas is a "lock" due to the metrics. Not the way I learned the game but this is 2018. The fact that Villanova has 4 first round draftees is amazing and shows the mountain we had to climb..in hindsight the Villanova losses had to do with them looking past opponents(Butler, Creighton, Providence, St Johns) and they would never look past Xavier which is a testament to Xavier(I guess)
    A few things here. The NBA cares about metrics more than the ability to play good basketball. If you can or have both, great...you are most likely a top ten pick. However, the problem with people like Tre and Martin are 1.) they aren't athletic even by NCAA D 1 standards and 2.) they are too short for the NBA in the way that they play basketball. NBA teams believe that if you have the metrics, they can teach you how to play in the league...sometimes they are right, sometimes they are wrong. However, people like Tre and Martin are never going to grow a couple more inches, or become athletic....those guys go to Europe and make pretty good livings though.

Secondly, its pretty simple why Mack coached teams routinely got bludgeoned by Villanova. 1.) Mack doesn't value defense and 2.) the packline hybrid defense that Mack employed made it simply too easy for Nova's biggest strength...shooting and making threes

In today's NBA, I wonder what the draft chatter would be for a Brian Grant, Tyrone Hill or DFW?
    Veritas vos Liberabit

Freshman
    Quote Originally Posted by murray87 View Post
    In today's NBA, I wonder what the draft chatter would be for a Brian Grant, Tyrone Hill or DFW?
    Don't forget James Posey, Aaron Williams or even Derrick Strong. These 3 and the 3 above were all stellar NBA players who played in the old MCC or A10.

Junior
    My opinions:

James Posey would continue to be an ideal fit in the NBA as a 3-and-D wing.

The rest of the guys -- its hard to tell because of what's known as "timelining". A lunchpail big who can't protect the rim, can't defend (well) out in space on the floor, and can't shoot the 3 aren't going to be stars in the modern game. The timelining comes in when you think about if they *would have* developed those skills if they were known to be valued at the time.

Strong, IIRC, ended up playing mostly SF (he was a *generous* 6'8") and I think could have been a 3-and-D wing *if* he could extend his range to 3-point range.
    DFW would want to to develop a 3-point shot as well, as a stretch-4. His game, which included a lot of midrange 2's, has fallen out of favor as those are less efficient shots than shots at the rim or 3-pointers.

Hill, Williams and Grant are kind of lost to the dustbin of history -- the game has changed to no longer value their skillset. Williams might be valued for rim protection, though at 6'9" he's a little small for that.

Edit: nvm, bask-ref lists Strong exclusively as a PF: https://www.basketball-reference.com...stronde01.html

Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    I think nova will have 2 go in first round. I think Brinson falls into early second and spellman middle second round. Spellman shoulda gone back.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17