Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I'm not sure what you're trying to say, but baseball doesn't have any age requirement for domestic players (16 for international). You can be drafted after high school (or after two years of high school and one year of JUCO if you find a loophole like Bryce Harper). If you go to a four year school after high school, you're not eligible for the draft for three more years. If you go JUCO, you can be drafted after your first and/or second year there. So someone who goes JUCO out of high school and then transfers to a four year school could, in theory, be drafted 5 times.

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    I'm not sure what you're trying to say, but baseball doesn't have any age requirement for domestic players (16 for international). You can be drafted after high school (or after two years of high school and one year of JUCO if you find a loophole like Bryce Harper). If you go to a four year school after high school, you're not eligible for the draft for three more years. If you go JUCO, you can be drafted after your first and/or second year there. So someone who goes JUCO out of high school and then transfers to a four year school could, in theory, be drafted 5 times.
    The point made earlier was that you can't prevent players from taking a professional job offer before graduating, I was just curious how the baseball system worked (I don't follow college baseball or even much of the MLB), I was wondering I guess what the wording was for a D1 player at a 4 year school to not go pro if he wanted to after a good Freshman or Sophomore year; is it like the NFL where the rule states the player must be "out of high school for 3 years" so not necessarily an age requirement, but a timeline thing?? God I'm even confusing myself now.

Yes, it's three years post-high school. And it's out of the players' hands. The teams aren't allowed to draft first or second year college guys. I like the baseball system that allows the teams to draft anyone they feel like, and no one ever has to declare for anything. 400 high school kids get drafted but still go to college every year. I just made that number up, but you get the point.

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    Yes, it's three years post-high school. And it's out of the players' hands. The teams aren't allowed to draft first or second year college guys. I like the baseball system that allows the teams to draft anyone they feel like, and no one ever has to declare for anything. 400 high school kids get drafted but still go to college every year. I just made that number up, but you get the point.
    The man is holding me down, +public reps.

Okay, so I kind of get it now, but I don't think the NBA would implement it like that, I could see them doing high school or two minimum, just because the shelf life of an NBA player is shorter (I mean I'm assuming here, I know an elite pitcher will most likely only be DOMINANT 3 years or so, but in terms of age able to play), so 3 would be cutting into some of their years, but again the point with declaring after high school may not work because of the whole protecting their investment spiel I had earlier.

Maybe a way to combat that for NBA teams would be if you leave out of high school you have to play 1 year minimum in the NBA G League?? Raises the competition of the G-League into basically all the one and dones that were gonna get paid anyways, and then the 2 year guys would be the best of the rest that needed to develop some (like how Sumner, and Semaj left, etc.)?? I still think there's a bunch of logistics that I'm missing here, but it's a thought.

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure a high school kid can already go pro and play in the G-League without spending a year in college. But maybe they can't get drafted and are basically unaffiliated with an NBA team during that year in the G-League? Not sure on how all that works.

The so-called one-and-done rule is stupidly overblown. Of all the things that are wrong with college basketball it is totally ridiculous to focus on something that A) is outside of the NCAA's control, and B) really isn't a problem to begin with.

There are roughly 4500 div1 college basketball players. In a given year, less than ten of them leave for the NBA after playing just one season, and because of that everyone totally freaks out. There are probably close to ten times as many that quit playing basketball after their freshman year simply because they decide they don't want to play anymore, or their scholarships are not renewed.

Prior to the one and done rule, players still left for the NBA after playing just one year of college basketball. Granted, it wasn't as many as ginormous number of 8-10 players who do it now, but we still saw it every year. Carmello Anthony played one year and left. Luol Deng played one year and left. Getting rid of the one and done rule won't stop college freshmen who destroy the planet during their freshman season from leaving for the NBA.

Also, prior to the one and done rule, there were roughly forty players who entered the NBA Draft right out of high school in the five years before it was implemented that were not drafted and never played in the NBA, and as a result were ineligible to attend college. I don't see what's good about that. Maybe it's not necessarily bad if that was their choice, but that's still close to as many players missing the NBA and not being able to go to college as there are one and dones who make the NBA.

And, how has this hurt college basketball?? What's the problem?? This commission was put together to fix college basketball, and their top priority is something that does not effect 99.8% of the players who play college basketball AND that the NCAA has no control over anyway. Gee, nice job!!
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

...and just to clarify, this was not the NCAA's report. This was the Commission on College Basketball's report (or whatever the hell it was called) of recommendations to the NCAA.

And to be fair, I did think they made two really good points in regards to certifying agents and allowing those certified agents to communicate with players, and to certifying non-scholastic basketball tournaments and camps. The practicality of this is obvious. Certify the good ones and do not certify the dirty ones.

But recommending that the NCAA addresses the one and done rule is like recommending that the NCAA addresses moving the Super Bowl back to the last weekend in January. It's really not their decision.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

Sophomore
    Let me fix college basketball with 3 simple rules.

1. Be under the age of 25.
    2. Be a full time student
    3. 4 years of eligibility

That's it.

Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    ...and just to clarify, this was not the NCAA's report. This was the Commission on College Basketball's report (or whatever the hell it was called) of recommendations to the NCAA.
    I'm glad you pointed that out, as it would be pretty ridiculous (not that they aren't that already) for the NCAA to say the NCAA should have penalized UNC.
    Last edited by paulxu; 04-26-2018 at 03:18 AM. Reason: really bad spelling
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    The so-called one-and-done rule is stupidly overblown. Of all the things that are wrong with college basketball it is totally ridiculous to focus on something that A) is outside of the NCAA's control, and B) really isn't a problem to begin with.

There are roughly 4500 div1 college basketball players. In a given year, less than ten of them leave for the NBA after playing just one season, and because of that everyone totally freaks out. There are probably close to ten times as many that quit playing basketball after their freshman year simply because they decide they don't want to play anymore, or their scholarships are not renewed.

Prior to the one and done rule, players still left for the NBA after playing just one year of college basketball. Granted, it wasn't as many as ginormous number of 8-10 players who do it now, but we still saw it every year. Carmello Anthony played one year and left. Luol Deng played one year and left. Getting rid of the one and done rule won't stop college freshmen who destroy the planet during their freshman season from leaving for the NBA.

Also, prior to the one and done rule, there were roughly forty players who entered the NBA Draft right out of high school in the five years before it was implemented that were not drafted and never played in the NBA, and as a result were ineligible to attend college. I don't see what's good about that. Maybe it's not necessarily bad if that was their choice, but that's still close to as many players missing the NBA and not being able to go to college as there are one and dones who make the NBA.

And, how has this hurt college basketball?? What's the problem?? This commission was put together to fix college basketball, and their top priority is something that does not effect 99.8% of the players who play college basketball AND that the NCAA has no control over anyway. Gee, nice job!!
    Great post!