George King - Colorado
    Devon Hall - Virginia
    Kendrick Nunn - Oakland
    Yante Maten - Georgia
    Desi Rodridguez - Seton Hall
    Justin Tillman - Virginia Commonwealth
    Kyle Washington - Cincinnati

https://www.portsmouthinvitational.com

Wish some of our guys were there but I don't know the entire logistics.. Barford voted MVP

Delgado and Carrington put up decent numbers I noticed..all details on web site

This isn’t exactly a list of burgeoning NBA stars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ArizonaXUGrad View Post
    This isn’t exactly a list of burgeoning NBA stars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My belly was burgeoning last night after I ate a plate of Pulled Pork Nachos at the lodge in Shawnee State Park near Portsmouth. I guess it is one of those appetizers that are meant to be shared.

Unsurprisingly, Portsmouth, OH is not where the Invitational is held.
    No, I be concubining.

Quote Originally Posted by Smooth View Post
    My belly was burgeoning last night after I ate a plate of Pulled Pork Nachos at the lodge in Shawnee State Park near Portsmouth. I guess it is one of those appetizers that are meant to be shared.

What took (dragged) you to Portsmouth and the Lodge?
    X A V I E R

Quote Originally Posted by xudash View Post
    What took (dragged) you to Portsmouth and the Lodge?
    A hiking/spring wildflower vacation that ended with with a day volunteering removing invasive plants at a preserve kind of near Shawnee. The lodge had a deal where you save 25% if you stay two nights so it was about the same price as the one-step-above-the-cheapest chain motels with better scenery than gas stations and fast food restaurants that normally surround them.

About four years ago I actually stayed in one of those motels in North Portsmouth. I was upgraded to a suite with a jacuzzi. In the room above me, a couple was chasing each other around the room. It would get quiet and then they would repeat the process. When it started getting close to my bedtime I decided to go upstairs and beat the crap out of the guy. That's when I saw the line of guys outside the room waiting their turn. Since I was outnumbered and am not very good a beating the crap of people in a fair fight, I went back downstairs and got another room. Without a jacuzzi. And obviously have not stayed at that motel since then.

Based on your question I'm guessing that none of this is a surprise to you.

If Portsmouth, OH decided to have an Invitational Tournament for college seniors, I know where the players from Louisville would stay.
    No, I be concubining.

A hiking/spring wildflower vacation that ended with with a day volunteering removing invasive plants at a preserve kind of near Shawnee. The lodge had a deal where you save 25% if you stay two nights so it was about the same price as the one-step-above-the-cheapest chain motels with better scenery than gas stations and fast food restaurants that normally surround them.

About four years ago I actually stayed in one of those motels in North Portsmouth. I was upgraded to a suite with a jacuzzi. In the room above me, a couple was chasing each other around the room. It would get quiet and then they would repeat the process. When it started getting close to my bedtime I decided to go upstairs and beat the crap out of the guy. That's when I saw the line of guys outside the room waiting their turn. Since I was outnumbered and am not very good a beating the crap of people in a fair fight, I went back downstairs and got another room. Without a jacuzzi. And obviously have not stayed at that motel since then.

Based on your question I'm guessing that none of this is a surprise to you.

If Portsmouth, OH decided to have an Invitational Tournament for college seniors, I know where the players from Louisville would stay.
    Ha! That's about right for those motels just north of town.

A once proud little city with one of the first NFL teams (now the Detroit Lions) that lost its steel and shoe industries to global competition. Portsmouth couldn't figure a way through that, though without an interstate freeway it's options weren't great or plentiful. Terrible leadership didn't and still doesn't help either.

Damn shame.
    X A V I E R

at the good old tecumsah room?

Most of my family.still lives there. It's tough going back and seeing/hearing what has happened to it.

Quote Originally Posted by mohr5150 View Post
    Most of my family.still lives there. It's tough going back and seeing/hearing what has happened to it.
    Yes, it is tough, and rather sad.

I have no family there anymore, but try to get back every so often to visit some friends (i.e. if I can wedge a trip over there from Cincinnati when I'm up for Xavier related stuff).

I had pointed out the loss of the steel mill and the shoe factories, but failed to point out that Portsmouth had a huge rail switching, fueling and maintenance yard for Norfolk & Western (now Norfolk & Southern) - one of the largest, if not the largest between the East Coast and Chicago - at one time. Believe me: it was very substantial. The local unions flat out screwed the pooch and blew themselves up, losing a stupid battle against the railroad at one point, losing the yard in the process.

NSC is one of my wife's largest legal clients and we've become friends with a number of their executives over the years, including a couple of the very senior guys out of Norfolk. The stories they tell of dealing with the Portsmouth people are cringe worthy.

I normally wouldn't post stuff like this on this board, but it's the off-season, and the following is a rather amazing read: https://www.trainorders.com/discussi....php?2,1926488.

So, once again, changing forces in business in general certainly contributed to its demise, but if you take the time to read to the fascinating bottom of the attached link, you will see first hand why blockheaded behavior became self-defeating.

Unions probably don't exist in Utopia, but because management is intelligent enough to understand that it's much better to treat human resources as human beings, even when their labor isn't highly skilled. Instead, we end up with a lot of friction, stupid battles, and America's version of Animal Farm, except in those cases where the pigs turn into train derailing hogs and get slaughtered, as they did in Portsmouth.

It's refreshing to witness cities like Cleveland and Pittsburgh redefining themselves. It's wonderful to see what Cincinnati has become, and what it continues to accomplish in advancing its appeal. Portsmouth obviously did not and does not have the critical mass through which to work a major transition, but the leadership should have and could have figured out something. They're trying desperately to turn it around now, as they hold to a population level of about 22k as I understand it.

It should never have gotten to that. There are smaller cities and towns all over that found a reasonable way to redefine themselves to some palatable degree. If you read that attached link, perhaps you'll agree that "tipping over" - literally derailing - trains is not a good "dialogue/reaction approach" to addressing your grievances with another party.
    X A V I E R