Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by xudash View Post
    Exactly. It's about to get a lot worse.

I believe they made a colossal mistake renovating Nippert the way they did. It's a moot point now, with respect to positioning a program for a P5 invite, but dumping over $70mm into a stadium renovation and coming away with just over 40k seats afterwards is a road to hell as far as the big boys are concerned.

Now they're putting money into 5/3. No doubt it needed a major overhaul, but it's another big number to put onto a highly stressed financial situation.

And then there are all the "quiet" cuts happening on the academic side.

It's not a good luck. And there is no good fix in sight.
    And they've probably been getting some rent money from FCC soccer. When that new stadium is built, assuming it is, that $$ from an outside source dries up too.

It's 11:45 am on April 9. 2018.....and the Borecats still SucK !!!
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

The American's TV deal is up after next season, and I'm really curious to see what happens after that. I do think that Mike Aresco is an excellent commissioner that is more qualified than anyone else they could have hired to negotiate a solid TV deal. He came from CBS, he was big on structuring the current NCAA Tournament deal with CBS/Turner, he helped start the American Digital Network and I think he did it with the sole intention of lumping those rights in with the next TV deal in an attempt to make it more lucrative. It looks as if everything he has done for the last several years has been done with the negotiation of the next TV deal in mind. They may seek out a deal with Turner along with CBS. Who knows how much it would actually pay the league. I'll say this. I don't think they can do much worse than their current deal. So, at least they've got that going for them.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    The American's TV deal is up after next season, and I'm really curious to see what happens after that. I do think that Mike Aresco is an excellent commissioner that is more qualified than anyone else they could have hired to negotiate a solid TV deal. He came from CBS, he was big on structuring the current NCAA Tournament deal with CBS/Turner, he helped start the American Digital Network and I think he did it with the sole intention of lumping those rights in with the next TV deal in an attempt to make it more lucrative. It looks as if everything he has done for the last several years has been done with the negotiation of the next TV deal in mind. They may seek out a deal with Turner along with CBS. Who knows how much it would actually pay the league. I'll say this. I don't think they can do much worse than their current deal. So, at least they've got that going for them.
    I don't think they end getting the money they think they will get. I've seen a lot of the aac posters saying around 10mil per year per team. I think they will be around 6mil

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    Except for putting their showcase conference basketball tournament in awful venues where no one travels to or wants to go see.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

FCC currently pays 5k per home game and an additional 20k per season. UC isn't making much off of them.

Quote Originally Posted by kellernr View Post
    I don't think they end getting the money they think they will get. I've seen a lot of the aac posters saying around 10mil per year per team. I think they will be around 6mil

$10 million seems like a lot, although I suppose it's possible. Seemingly every TV deal comes out to be more than what I think it should be. Kind of like you I was thinking it would be between $6-$8 million per school. That's everything. Football, basketball, women's basketball with UConn, the championship games, the tournament, and the rights to American Digital.

Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    Except for putting their showcase conference basketball tournament in awful venues where no one travels to or wants to go see.
    They're slowly fixing that. Will be in Memphis this year, which will be empty unless Penny shocks the world and they're good. The year after will be in Dallas, and they'll finally draw some crowds.

I believe they made a colossal mistake renovating Nippert the way they did. It's a moot point now, with respect to positioning a program for a P5 invite, but dumping over $70mm into a stadium renovation and coming away with just over 40k seats afterwards is a road to hell as far as the big boys are concerned.

Now they're putting money into 5/3. No doubt it needed a major overhaul, but it's another big number to put onto a highly stressed financial situation.

What all have they cut?? That's the real issue. It's not so much that the students are subsidizing it because the cost of tuition has been about the same. It's that something else that used to be funded is now not being funded.

And they didn't fix the major issues there which were small concourses, bad concessions, and long bathroom lines. All those problems remain.

Junior
    The renovation was simply to become more attractive to power 5 conference. IF they go to one in the next few years (and I assume Big 12 is the only one they'd go to?) then it will become worth it.