Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

UC ATHLETIC BUDGET Brutal

Brutal. Just brutal:

http://www.newsrecord.org/news/soari...0bda06336.html

It's like being on the Titanic on that fateful night. You finally see the iceberg, but you know the rudder isn't capable of turning you away from the collision.
    X A V I E R

Wow each student paid $1,200 per year on average to cover the athletic department, jeeze UC needed that deep tournament run way more than we did

Quote Originally Posted by GIMMFD View Post
    Wow each student paid $1,200 per year on average to cover the athletic department, jeeze UC needed that deep tournament run way more than we did
    Sort of.

Tuition at UC has basically been the same throughout this whole period. They haven't really raised it except for a rather minuscule amount, so they'd be paying the same amount whether that money was going to athletics or not. The real question is where was that money going before it went to athletics, and what (if anything) is being done to supplement that??
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    Sort of.

Tuition at UC has basically been the same throughout this whole period. They haven't really raised it except for a rather minuscule amount, so they'd be paying the same amount whether that money was going to athletics or not. The real question is where was that money going before it went to athletics, and what (if anything) is being done to supplement that??
    Huggy Bear Buyout?
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    Huggy Bear Buyout?
    I think his buyout was about $3 million. The irony was crazy. Most people have their lives jacked up when they get a DUI.
    He ended up getting $3 million for not having to work. That was long before this, though.

One student was quoted as saying “It's unfair to students who don’t go to these sporting events,” Dirr said. “Half of this money is probably going towards luxury items that athletes don’t necessarily need, such as alternate uniforms and warmups.”

I always thought uniforms and warmups were paid for my the shoe / apparel company whose name was on them, i.e. Nike, Adidas, etc. Maybe that’s only for FB and BB?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Golf is a relatively simple game, played by reasonably intelligent people, stupidly.

Quote Originally Posted by bjf123 View Post
    One student was quoted as saying “It's unfair to students who don’t go to these sporting events,” Dirr said. “Half of this money is probably going towards luxury items that athletes don’t necessarily need, such as alternate uniforms and warmups.”

I always thought uniforms and warmups were paid for my the shoe / apparel company whose name was on them, i.e. Nike, Adidas, etc. Maybe that’s only for FB and BB?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    They are. The person who said that obviously doesn't know that.

Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    Sort of.

Hmm, really?? That's strange then, it's kind of amazing that these universities can hide these fees and figures throughout various places, that does make me very curious about where it was if the tuition is relatively the same.. I wonder if someone prods along and finds out.

Their subsidies will start to increase soon. UConn, UC and USF have all been receiving money from the Big East split and that pot dries up this year or next year.

Quote Originally Posted by kellernr View Post
    Their subsidies will start to increase soon. UConn, UC and USF have all been receiving money from the Big East split and that pot dries up this year or next year.
    Exactly. It's about to get a lot worse.

I believe they made a colossal mistake renovating Nippert the way they did. It's a moot point now, with respect to positioning a program for a P5 invite, but dumping over $70mm into a stadium renovation and coming away with just over 40k seats afterwards is a road to hell as far as the big boys are concerned.

Now they're putting money into 5/3. No doubt it needed a major overhaul, but it's another big number to put onto a highly stressed financial situation.

And then there are all the "quiet" cuts happening on the academic side.

It's not a good luck. And there is no good fix in sight.
    X A V I E R