Page 76 of 86 FirstFirst ... 26667475767778 ... LastLast
    Two thoughts:

1. If Castlin is anything like Malcom Bernard, then God blessed us.

2. While I see the logic and a certain amount of validity in analyzing a player's performance statistics from their previous team, I always can't help but think that those data points may not be relevant in a linear kind of way, as the player is stepping into a new team that will possess its own set of dynamics, etc. Yes, the league will be tougher as well, but what if these kids were the "go-to" guys on their respective squads. They would have been scouted and defended accordingly. Either way, they weren't playing with the likes of Q, Scruggs, and Marshal.

If they have the base level of skills to compete at the BE level, then it's up to Travis to coach them up and make them all gel together. I believe God blessed us with Travis, too. I believe he'll form this crew into a solid team that will have a great season. First year coaching blues be damned.
    X A V I E R

Quote Originally Posted by MHettel View Post
    I'll take Malcom Bernard. Sign me up
    Hear, hear!

A point I've made before: If this guy (or any transfer) turns out to be as tenacious a player and as effective at motivating his fellow teammates as Malcom was down the stretch while at X, count me in as being ecstatic about him being on the team.

We should have hired Malcolm to speak to the team prior to FSU and maybe a clip of "We got Champions in that locker room" from Stanley at halftime.
    Last edited by bobbiemcgee; 06-18-2018 at 03:39 PM.
    2023 Sweet 16

Quote Originally Posted by xudash View Post
    Two thoughts:

1. If Castlin is anything like Malcom Bernard, then God blessed us.

2. While I see the logic and a certain amount of validity in analyzing a player's performance statistics from their previous team, I always can't help but think that those data points may not be relevant in a linear kind of way, as the player is stepping into a new team that will possess its own set of dynamics, etc. Yes, the league will be tougher as well, but what if these kids were the "go-to" guys on their respective squads. They would have been scouted and defended accordingly. Either way, they weren't playing with the likes of Q, Scruggs, and Marshal.

If they have the base level of skills to compete at the BE level, then it's up to Travis to coach them up and make them all gel together. I believe God blessed us with Travis, too. I believe he'll form this crew into a solid team that will have a great season. First year coaching blues be damned.
    Specifically relating to Castlin...

last year, XU players played a combined 7075 minutes. The team had 579 Assists, and 441 Turnovers.

Converting the minutes to a "per 40 as a team", the squad average 3.3 APG and 2.5 TOPG.

So, a A:TO ratio of 1:1.32.

So, this is the whole team, and I realize we kind of had a high octane offense that probably resulted in more assists due to our catch and shoot approach.

But Castlin's Assist and TOs (per 40) both seem a bit low to me, suggesting he wasnt trying to create much offense (hence low TO and Asst numbers).

Anyway, I felt like getting a better understanding of how the whole team did, and thought i'd just share it.

Quote Originally Posted by MHettel View Post
    Specifically relating to Castlin...

last year, XU players played a combined 7075 minutes. The team had 579 Assists, and 441 Turnovers.

Converting the minutes to a "per 40 as a team", the squad average 3.3 APG and 2.5 TOPG.

So, a A:TO ratio of 1:1.32.

So, this is the whole team, and I realize we kind of had a high octane offense that probably resulted in more assists due to our catch and shoot approach.

But Castlin's Assist and TOs (per 40) both seem a bit low to me, suggesting he wasnt trying to create much offense (hence low TO and Asst numbers).

Anyway, I felt like getting a better understanding of how the whole team did, and thought i'd just share it.
    Kyle Castlin had an Offensive Rating of 121.7 which was the highest on his team. It's higher than Trevon's and JP's. Now the numbers are skewed because his usage rate and games played/minutes played are much lower but he seems like a pretty efficient player.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbiemcgee View Post
    We should have hired Malcolm to speak to the team prior to FSU and maybe a clip of "We got Champions in that locker room" from Stanley at halftime.
    Yes... but then he would have needed to actually be in the FSU game too - like with that Arizona game- not allowing his teammates to give up and lose even when it looked like some were ready to fold around him.

Quote Originally Posted by IM4X View Post
    Yes... but then he would have needed to actually be in the FSU game too - like with that Arizona game- not allowing his teammates to give up and lose even when it looked like some were ready to fold around him.
    Tu Holloway should have been there and taught all how to make free throws and play clutch when down 15-20 points(purdue game) and win.

Quote Originally Posted by xukeith View Post
    Tu Holloway should have been there and taught all how to make free throws and play clutch when down 15-20 points(purdue game) and win.
    Yup... or maybe a certain head coach at the time should have done a little more than just show up and go through the motions... you know like actually coach his team when it counted most.

Okay, maybe I'm still a little bitter.

Quote Originally Posted by IM4X View Post
    Yup... or maybe a certain head coach at the time should have done a little more than just show up and go through the motions... you know like actually coach his team when it counted most.

Okay, maybe I'm still a little bitter.
    Amen

Sophomore
    Not bitter, loved Mack but not one of his best efforts. I watched the game 3 times(mercifully aged out of DVR) and the missed foul shots and needless turnovers killed us. The foul shots and turnovers were early in second half and lead of 12 max could have been 18 and we would have moved on. Looking forward to seeing how X guys do in summer league and next year team. Thankful for last 4 years and 95% of colleges would trade with X. I did not sleep that night though