Page 28 of 86 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878 ... LastLast
    Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by xukeith View Post
    get real. Basketball and winning a national championship are the next steps. Getting one and done recruits are necessary. The good angelic choir boy look of the Musketeer program left the barn a long time ago. It is win, baby, win.
    Have to agree with Keith on this one. As mentioned, we have had players leave early. Crawford, Christian, and Sumner (whose mother apparently took money from an agent) come to mind. I won’t go as far as saying we have to get such players to win a NC, but you take what you can get.

Quote Originally Posted by xukeith View Post
    get real. Basketball and winning a national championship are the next steps. Getting one and done recruits are necessary. The good angelic choir boy look of the Musketeer program left the barn a long time ago. It is win, baby, win.
    I don't recall commenting about this topic; although I do agree with your assessment.

Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    Well, I think that you guys are wrong. I don’t think that Xavier will ever place the athletic programs ahead of the school. Even if they realize that athletic success helps to raise the profile of the school, they also realize that having athletic success is not the main purpose or focus of the university. I’m not saying that they won’t try to get players with the best talent. I am saying I suspect that one of the reasons that Miller, Matta, and Mack may have left is because the administration told them not to go after one and done players whose primary reason to come to school was to use it as a short stop before going onto the NBA. I think that they take a great deal of pride in the fact that players that come to X and stay for 4 years ALL graduate. I think that they take a great deal of pride in the fact that they recruit STUDENT-athletes. So let’s just leave it at that. You believe what you want to, and I’ll believe what I want to.
    It's ok to believe what you want, but if you could stop posting about it as if it has any potential modicum of truth, that would be great...

A grad transfer IS different, as they already have their degree and should be working towards a masters.

Junior
    I.e., found a master's program that their current school didn't offer at a new school they want to play at.

Quote Originally Posted by Olsingledigit View Post
    Have to agree with Keith on this one. As mentioned, we have had players leave early. Crawford, Christian, and Sumner (whose mother apparently took money from an agent) come to mind. I won’t go as far as saying we have to get such players to win a NC, but you take what you can get.
    Amen you get what you can take, I actually think a NC needs a blend of some older guys that have learned and developed in a system, mixed with some NBA talent, I mean look at the Nova and UNC teams that have won in the last 3 years, no one and done's, but just good NBA talent, mixed with some experience. We could realistically recruit guys like that, but at the same time if 5 star Matthew Hurt wants to suit up for X and leave after a year, we damn sure should go after time, those type of players don't come often for schools like us, you take em and hope you make a splash with them in the year you have.

Quote Originally Posted by GIMMFD View Post
    Amen you get what you can take, I actually think a NC needs a blend of some older guys that have learned and developed in a system, mixed with some NBA talent, I mean look at the Nova and UNC teams that have won in the last 3 years, no one and done's, but just good NBA talent, mixed with some experience. We could realistically recruit guys like that, but at the same time if 5 star Matthew Hurt wants to suit up for X and leave after a year, we damn sure should go after time, those type of players don't come often for schools like us, you take em and hope you make a splash with them in the year you have.
    Both of those schools were/are recruiting in that 25-75 range of players. As you said, it creates teams of very talented players that stay around for more than one year.

Quote Originally Posted by xuwin View Post
    Do you think Xavier is signing all of these grad transfers for academic reasons?
    Nope. Just basketball reasons. Maybe eligibility helps with being a grad student.

OK, let us assume the 2018-19 twelve man roster is set. I have a myriad of questions as to what comes next. Each of these questions needs two answers - one for the three freshmen, and the same questions for the three transfers.

1. When is the earliest they can get on campus? Does that require enrolling in summer classes?
    2. Do they have to be enrolled in classes or just the university to start in the conditioning program? This is probably more directed at the frosh.
    3. Do they have to be enrolled in classes or just the university to start any type of unofficial "open gym" type arrangements?
    4. Assuming that they can get together in open gym, what constitutes open gym? Are any of the coaches allowed to be there, and/or instruct? Are there weekly time limitations they can use the facilities as a group, or does open gym really mean open gym to any student enrolled?

Obviously, with a six man turnover, the sooner they can start working together, the better. However, I have changed my antiquated idea of a team needing extensive time to build team chemistry. Just be ready to defend the league title.

Jim, I bet some of the board members who were managers or know others close to the program can address this better than I can. But it seems from media reports in the past that freshmen these days do arrive during the summer.

But it usually seems to be around July, probably depending on family plans before their baby heads off to college. Many do start with summer classes, at least getting some sort of orientation "how to college" class to get them use to a schedule and some study habits. This likely does allow for use of residential and training facilities. I do believe they can have meetings with coaches to discuss drills or things they should work on privately. I don't think they can have any formal type of practice, but I bet the older players will run through some stuff just to get younger guys familiar with some of it and start lifting. They are invested in hitting the ground running, but also want summer to be more fun.

The Deveroes Summer League use to be a fun way to spot players early. I think programs are keeping guys out of that sort of thing in order to have them play with their own teammates privately, in order to develop chemistry.

I think the grad transfers will be here as soon as their classes end this summer in order to move in and get to know the trainer.