Page 69 of 86 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by XMuskieFTW View Post
    I actually love this move. X doesn't really like to have 13 scholarship players. It creates chemistry issues. To have a guy that we can throw a scholarship(assuming we don't have 13) who will be very good to have in practice, but won't expect any playing time is really the perfect use of a 13th scholarship.
    Right, we're never going to have a rotation of 13 guys, there's just not enough minutes to go around, but if he can practice hard, and push our starters it's an amazing use of a schollie. Even a guy averaging 11 minutes a game at the D1 level is better than a walk-on (no offense to walk ons)

Quote Originally Posted by joe titan View Post
    Tim's was special case under extraordinary circumstance b/c Matt was not on scholarship his last season.
    Did you know he was an Uber driver?

Quote Originally Posted by joe titan View Post
    Tim's was special case under extraordinary circumstance b/c Matt was not on scholarship his last season.
    Yea I doubt Hanson will have an older brother transfer to X on scholarship and then ask to walk on as a grad student while driving uber so his brother could use the open scholarship and save $30,000+... was just using Tim as another example of someone who went from walk-on to scholarship status.

Quote Originally Posted by XMuskieFTW View Post
    I actually love this move. X doesn't really like to have 13 scholarship players. It creates chemistry issues. To have a guy that we can throw a scholarship(assuming we don't have 13) who will be very good to have in practice, but won't expect any playing time is really the perfect use of a 13th scholarship.
    agree

He has three years eligibility remaining. I don’t think they are “throwing” a scholarship at someone who won’t play for 3 years.

Did anyone say three years? I don't see that in the conversation. But hey, we've had guys who barely got off the bench on scholarship before.

So you’re going to offer him a scholarship for a year and then pull it? I mean if he’s ok with that then ok... just seems like a very uncommon situation.

Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Braun View Post
    So you’re going to offer him a scholarship for a year and then pull it? I mean if he’s ok with that then ok... just seems like a very uncommon situation.
    It may be uncommon but I'm p. sure it has happened before. Hey, a free year of school is a free year of school.

Or if I’m being a conspiracy theorist...maybe he is a package deal with another scholarship. He IS from Minnesota hmmmmm

We've had it happen on more than one player in recent history. If a guy knows he's being given the opportunity of preferred walk on, and then they say we might have a scholarship for a year, I don't think the program is jerking him around. He could always decline. Full ride isn't a given.