Page 71 of 86 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by XMuskieFTW View Post
    My guess is they told him "Hey. We can't promise you a scholarship, but any year you're here where we don't use all 13 you will be getting one." Which is almost all the time.
    Absolutely. Scholarships are one year renewable. It isn't out of the ordinary to give someone a scholarship for just one year and them knowing full well they won't get it again.

xu95

My guess is they told him "Hey. We can't promise you a scholarship, but any year you're here where we don't use all 13 you will be getting one." Which is almost all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by xu95 View Post
    Absolutely. Scholarships are one year renewable. It isn't out of the ordinary to give someone a scholarship for just one year and them knowing full well they won't get it again.

xu95
    So when has this happened before at X? Not saying it hasn’t I am just trying to recall a situation as it is described here...Don’t get me wrong, it means he is here for good reasons (likes the school, etc) but to me it’s far from a guarantee that he will be on scholarship.

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Braun View Post
    So when has this happened before at X? Not saying it hasn’t I am just trying to recall a situation as it is described here...Don’t get me wrong, it means he is here for good reasons (likes the school, etc) but to me it’s far from a guarantee that he will be on scholarship.
    Probably Andrew Taylor

Probably Andrew Taylor
    He was a D2 transfer, then walk on for what felt like 6 years, THEN awarded scholarship. That’s not the same as saying “any year we don’t have 13 you get first open scholly” only to be a walk on the next year.

I'm almost positive they gave Keenan Christensen a scholarship one year when they had an extra. I wasn't specifically talking about X though, I was just saying that schools reward walkons who work their ass off with a scholarship at times when they have an extra one.

Trust me, this kid is coming in as a walk on. He isn't expecting a scholarship. But if they have an extra one, why not let him use it for a year? Its not like they can bank it for another year.

xu95

Quote Originally Posted by xu95 View Post
    But if they have an extra one, why not let him use it for a year?
    I can think of about forty thousand reasons....

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    Thank you for saying that! That is so spot on for many reasons!

Each case has its unique circumstance, but preferred walk ons get help at times. Erik Stenger, Christensen, Landon Amos, Joe Hughes

Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    Have you not heard of creative accounting ? That scholarship might go on the books at 40k, but I reality doesn't cost the school near that. Room and board is retail, but the tuition costs the school very little.

In this case it would cost $40,000, because if he doesn't get the scholarship he'd actually pay tuition.