Page 74 of 86 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684 ... LastLast
    We should all hope that Welage has no problem adjusting because it looks like he is going to start and play significant minutes. Can anyone see a scenario where he doesn't start?
    President of the Eddie Johnson Fan Club

We are short on playmakers/ball handlers. Q, Scruggs,..... Castlin in a pinch? Can Naji advance to be more of a playmaking fwd? How much can you play Q/Scruggs together? Crunch time lineup perhaps: Q, Scruggs, Welage, Naji, Tyrique. (Gates would have been nice here!)

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Braun View Post
    Crunch time lineup perhaps: Q, Scruggs, Welage, Naji, Tyrique.
    Not only crunch time.....this is the starting line up. The only one that makes sense, aside from something unknown, like James coming in as a world beater. As far as play makers, that is what we have a surplus of, although most of which are untested. If Castlin has no problem transitioning, he will most certainly spell both Q and Paul. Throw in ANY positive production from Harden or KK and we are gonna be fine. If any of our guards have to play at the 3, it exposes how thin we are at the 2 forward positions.
    Last edited by Xuperman; 06-17-2018 at 09:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xuperman View Post
    Not only crunch time.....this is the starting line up. The only one that makes sense, aside from something unknown, like James coming in as a world beater. As far as play makers, that is what we have a surplus of, although most of which are untested. If Castlin has no problem transitioning, he will most certainly spell both Q and Paul. Throw in ANY positive production from Harden or KK and we are gonna be fine. If any of our guards have to play at the 3, it exposes how thin we are at the 2 forward positions.
    Surplus of playmakers? Huh? Who aside from Q and Scruggs can handle the ball and make plays? They can’t play 40 minutes together which is why either starting Castlin or subbing one out early is likely going to happen. They will both play 30+ minutes likely, but if Q and Scruggs are on the bench, who is the ball handler?

Quote Originally Posted by Xuperman View Post
    I agree with this plus redshirt Jake Walter. He can practice and bang bodies plus get into high D1 physical shape.

Yeah, a "surplus" by definition. Meaning the shear number of bodies under scholarship that play the guard position. I am not saying they all will be effective play makers OR ball handlers. You just have to hope they are and be a glass half full guy. Besides, wasn't the fact we had too many 1 and 2 guys that it was discouraging some recruits?
    Last edited by Xuperman; 06-17-2018 at 09:52 AM.

Naji is a stud and will be a premier playmaker. Scruggs will take a leap forward. He was a plus defender and ball handler in high school at a top prep. This could be very good if the grad transfers mesh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ArizonaXUGrad View Post
    Naji is a stud and will be a premier playmaker. Scruggs will take a leap forward. He was a plus defender and ball handler in high school at a top prep. This could be very good if the grad transfers mesh.

I like your optimism!

They've got some great players and they will make everybody around them better. Really looking forward to this year. It's going to be special!
    I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I drink 2XS.

Sophomore
    So are we assuming now that Harden and Walter will be on the roster next season? And is there any word on Geno Crandall from ND?

Sophomore
    that's the spirit. We have been so used to an "unbeatable" Villanova, a polished skilled Xavier, an athletic Seton Hall, a heady Butler, a quicksilver Creighton, a legacy underdog St Johns/Georgetown and wildcard Marquette and Depaul it was getting predictable. Even the Foxsports analysts were phoning it in. Now we are going to start each game without a pre determined script and we might not like some of the results at times but that is sports. I think Castin and Welage with Div I experience will surprise on upside and Hankins will be motivated to have a second hoop life to make some money playing basketball at next level. I would love to see a decent big East run, an 7-9 seed and a sweet 16 as the goal. Naj, Q and Tyrique must lead the way though, would be nice to have Kaiser