Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: It's Steele!

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by OTRMUSKIE View Post
    This is a mid major question. Steele was a great hire. Who the hell do you think X should get? Greg Marshall? Shaka Smart, Porter, Pat Kelsey? This was the perfect hire. I rather have Steele then any coach that would have been interested. John Grove, Mark Schmight, Dino Gaudio, Thad Matta, the guy from Nevada or John Brennan. Nope I want Steele. X has been winning and
    Getting better with every new coach. I think I am going to trust the system more then your mid major question.
    I’m not sure what question you think you’re responding to, but whatever. Top 25 programs don’t hire assistants very often, and just because you express your own opinion of the names you listed with a tone of overt cynicism doesn’t mean there aren’t some damn good coaches that may have been available to us. I think at least some of the infatuation with Steele is that he’s a blank slate. His nonexistent Head coaching resume doesn’t have any warts on it yet, so he must therefore be better than all the other candidates that do. I don’t care about your opinion much, but I’m very willing to buy that GC simply believes Steele is an obvious can’t miss, Head and shoulders above the rest. He’s our guy now, and I’m on board. Hope he’s awesome.

I'm a big fan of this choice. Can't see anything wrong with it and the upside is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by IM4X View Post
    I think so too... he has the opportunity to off a little of his recruiting ability now. If he can land one of the top uncommitted HS players or transfers (and hold onto the incoming class (aside from the the transfer) l, It would a great first step in keeping us winning at a high level.
    who's left that they might zero in on?

Romeo Langford??
    Last edited by DexterBailey84; 03-31-2018 at 08:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by XUBison View Post
    I’m not sure what question you think you’re responding to, but whatever. Top 25 programs don’t hire assistants very often, and just because you express your own opinion of the names you listed with a tone of overt cynicism doesn’t mean there aren’t some damn good coaches that may have been available to us. I think at least some of the infatuation with Steele is that he’s a blank slate. His nonexistent Head coaching resume doesn’t have any warts on it yet, so he must therefore be better than all the other candidates that do. I don’t care about your opinion much, but I’m very willing to buy that GC simply believes Steele is an obvious can’t miss, Head and shoulders above the rest. He’s our guy now, and I’m on board. Hope he’s awesome.
    The opportunity cost, in my mind, is not giving Kelsey a chance.

He's an all-star, with an impeccable moral resume, married with a solid HEAD COACHING resume. What Xavier is now, added to Kelsey's philosophy, coaching & 'program & fan base rallying' would have been something to see.

I am behind Travis, and wish US luck. However, my questions with him, pertaining to x/o, readiness, the next man up strategy, to appease current & former players, are real.
    Don't get saucy with me, Bearnaise!

Congrats to Travis. The Steele Era has begun at Xavier University. It looks to be the best yet.

The House of Snipe Approves
    RIP Brian Dargin McCormick

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Delkus View Post

He's an all-star, with an impeccable moral resume, married with a solid HEAD COACHING resume. What Xavier is now, added to Kelsey's philosophy, coaching & 'program & fan base rallying' would have been something to see.

I am behind Travis, and wish US luck. However, my questions with him, pertaining to x/o, readiness, the next man up strategy, to appease current & former players, are real.
    I think UMass might disagree with the part about an “impeccable moral resume.”

Steele has turned down programs comparable to Winthrop. So yes, he lacks head coaching experience. Still, our last six coaches combined for 2 seasons worth and things worked out fine. Sometimes the obvious choice is the best choice and Steele was a slam dunk here.

I hope Steele is great, but count me as disappointed. Hiring an assistant is a mid-major mentality, and i guess we haven’t outgrown that. I suppose we’re also destined for another generation of Prosseresque matador defense. Oh well, maybe Steele can bring in that benchwarmer transfer from Syracuse.

Wouldn’t Luke have to be nuts not to stay at X as Steele’s top assistant if offered? I mean, he might be able to leverage the Same role at UL into a head coaching job at somewhere like hoffstra or even East Carolina. If he is the top guy on Steele’s staff, he automatically gets to be the next head coach at X when Steele leaves in a few years. Seems like a no-brainer.
    We will agree to disagree. If you are looking at a winning program and the program has no issues then it's not a mid major move to hire from within. If the program has been losing or has outside issues then it's best to hire a HC with a different philosophy IMO.
    Balls of Steele!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Delkus View Post

Agree completely. I hope Travis turns out to be the greatest coach in Xavier history. However, I think he was the safe, short term outlook hire. As I mentioned in another thread somewhere around here, we’ve been very lucky with the promote from within philosophy, but that worked in the MCC and A-10. The Big East is a different level. I just hope Steele is up to the challenge.

I know this is VERY early, but at this point, I’ll be happy if we keep the non losing conference streak alive next year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Golf is a relatively simple game, played by reasonably intelligent people, stupidly.

Supporting Member
    I hope Steele is great, but count me as disappointed. Hiring an assistant is a mid-major mentality, and i guess we haven’t outgrown that.
    This was asked by someone previously. When I see comments like this, I need to ask, who would you rather have had with HC experience that would have accepted the job ?

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by Muskie in dayton View Post
    Who did you want to see hired?
    I suppose it’s not even worth getting into at this point. I just hope it’s not Steele because of shortsighted roster Concerns, which I believe were overstated. Or worse, because x preferred the financial discount. As i said in another post, I’ll buy that GC believes Steele is the obvious choice to build on X’s success, over all other candidates, and irrespective of financial considerations. No worries, I’m an easy sell on all things X, so he‘s now my favorite coach. In fact, I think he may already be the best in the game. He’s certainly an upgrade over that Mackitino guy down in Skanksville.