Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Moving On

One of you guys with all your inside connections want to dial up ESPN and tell them Mack is no longer our coach?

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...eam/_/id/2752/

I'm trying to "move on" here and would like to see Travis Steele stuff there.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Quote Originally Posted by xudash View Post
    What kind of recruits do we go after from here?

Every program wants top athletes that perform under pressure, but I found this post on the Kansas board today (they still don't know what hit them):

I was at the game and seeing it live you could tell he was so much more explosive than any KU player. Maybe it was that obvious on TV too, but he elevated like crazy when going to the rim. He looks completely relaxed shooting 3s. Kid was amazing. It didn’t look like luck. He, Spellman and DiVc looked like they were out there chilling in a scrimmage against high school kids.

He was referring to Paschall.

"Looked like they were out there chilling in a scrimmage." Kids of Steele. Go recruit them coach!
    I think we tried to recruit at Nova's level last year, remember that we lost out on Swider to Nova, and just struck out on a lot of top talent, we aren't quite there yet, but we are attracting better talent, and that's giving us a chance to propel ourselves to the next level. I think we're building a better brand with each passing season, and more people are starting to take note. Just look at who's considering us for 2019, we're in on a bunch of 5 stars, ever thought that would happen?? I don't think we'll ever be a one and done program, but I do think we have the ability to recruit like Nova and get NBA talent, with guys that play for each other. Steele is known for his recruiting abilities, and hopefully he can fill a staff with guys that recruit as well as he can.

Quote Originally Posted by xukeith View Post
    Whether we like it or not whomever X hires will eventually leave only to a bigger program with bigger salaries for the coach and asst. coaches plus better facilities and a larger endowment(X has a tiny endowment).
    BUT X will get better as a program (right now I would say there are only 15 schools better than X now) and the next hire away from X will be a top 5-7 position. So it is a good news either way as X will get better and better. National championship and/or Final 4.
    Also a point we don't really mention much, everybody saying Steele will leave in 5-6 years, hypothetically a lot can happen in 5 years, what if we won a national championship, started really competing with Villanova, there's only a hand full of jobs one would want to leave for then, right? Duke, UNC, etc. I truly do believe we will continue to grow as a program, and that's going to help negate the whole "stepping stone" narrative, I have faith in Steele to help grow our machine. Hell, if Steele were to win a National Championship at X, he'd be untouchable here, they'd build a damn statue of him, that would make it really damn hard to leave if you already reach the pinnacle.

I find it so funny that my 43 yr old stoner coworker, that doesnt really care about college basketball, will be closer to the trophy than Matta, Miller, or Mack will probably ever be, because he's Muffet McGraw's nephew.

Quote Originally Posted by GIMMFD View Post
    I think we tried to recruit at Nova's level last year, remember that we lost out on Swider to Nova, and just struck out on a lot of top talent, we aren't quite there yet, but we are attracting better talent, and that's giving us a chance to propel ourselves to the next level. I think we're building a better brand with each passing season, and more people are starting to take note. Just look at who's considering us for 2019, we're in on a bunch of 5 stars, ever thought that would happen?? I don't think we'll ever be a one and done program, but I do think we have the ability to recruit like Nova and get NBA talent, with guys that play for each other. Steele is known for his recruiting abilities, and hopefully he can fill a staff with guys that recruit as well as he can.

Also a point we don't really mention much, everybody saying Steele will leave in 5-6 years, hypothetically a lot can happen in 5 years, what if we won a national championship, started really competing with Villanova, there's only a hand full of jobs one would want to leave for then, right? Duke, UNC, etc. I truly do believe we will continue to grow as a program, and that's going to help negate the whole "stepping stone" narrative, I have faith in Steele to help grow our machine. Hell, if Steele were to win a National Championship at X, he'd be untouchable here, they'd build a damn statue of him, that would make it really damn hard to leave if you already reach the pinnacle.
    I'm choking on my late night snack. Muskies have made 2 elite 8's in their history and you have them "possibly" winning a NC in the next 5 years with no FF under their belt. I mean, I'm rooting for that just as much as anybody...but please. Get a reality check about who Xavier is and the hill they must climb to be what you want them to be. In the NCAA tournament they are gonna win some and gonna lose some. There is no mystique about the Muskies...yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Go Golston View Post
    I'm choking on my late night snack. Muskies have made 2 elite 8's in their history and you have them "possibly" winning a NC in the next 5 years with no FF under their belt. I mean, I'm rooting for that just as much as anybody...but please. Get a reality check about who Xavier is and the hill they must climb to be what you want them to be. In the NCAA tournament they are gonna win some and gonna lose some. There is no mystique about the Muskies...yet.
    To be fair, even though Butler didn't win, they made it to 2 National Championship games without being at the level they even are today. I think if we've learned anything it's that the tournament takes skill, yes, but a bit of luck as well to win the whole thing. Who knows what type of roster we're going to have in 5 years, and if we get the perfect draw in order to win the whole thing? I understand as a pure threat stand point we aren't at that Elite level in college basketball yet, and that it's most likely not going to happen in the next 5 years, barring something miraculous happening, however, would you have considered Michigan a national championship contender before the season started?

Quote Originally Posted by Go Go Golston View Post
    That would be... "3 elite eights since Matta took over (Matta 1, Miller 1, Mack 1.

X certainly had enough talent to get to a final 4 and possibly beyond this year. Beating this season's Nova team would have made it quite difficult to win it all though. We should be careful before we to sell X teams short over the next 5 years. Let's just wait and see if Steele and his staff can add a much needed talented big or two and how the incoming class looks and then see if Steele and his staff can get the most out of his teams come tournament time.

Sophomore
    I just went to Cincinnati for Easter weekend from Conn and bought a X San Antonio Number 1 seed shirt half price. Watching Michigan I still think of being up 70-68 with the ball and a minute to go against FSU, then a win over till less Gonzaga, then a close win over Mich, then sister rose winning.. Sigh. I had to get a shirt as this was a GREAT season but could have been more. Hart do believe I will not see so many of my favorite players again. Go team Steele.
    Last edited by whopper; 04-02-2018 at 09:31 PM.

Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by GIMMFD View Post

I think I saw the highest recruiting class they’ve had over last four years was 28th. (They do have two 5 and two 4 star guys, though).

Swider and Quinnerly are both top 50 guys. Brunson and Spellman are top 20 guys. I am not sure where the rest fell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk