Page 29 of 38 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast
    Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by XUBison View Post
    Okay, I need some help on Steele. He is 34, correct? A 2015 GoXavier article says he started coaching AAU in 2001, when he would have been 17? The same article also said he graduated from Butler in 2004, when he would have been 20? Am I missing something, or is he our own version of Doogie Howser?

I am not at all anti-Steele, but I really think Christopher will have to be 100% sold on him before giving him a $2M(+) position at a BE program that just won the conference and got a 1 seed. I realize Steele wouldn’t start anywhere near $2M, but that’s beside the point. I would have to swallow hard before giving a 34 yr old with no head coaching experience this sort of gig. I know the whole Miller/Mack thing, but this isn’t the same situation anymore.

How long of a leash can GC give a guy like Steele if it’s not going well? I know we think we’re the most patient and reasonable fan base out there, but I also remember the Fire Thad threads after he lost to UC and Ball State. Maybe Steele has no growing pains, but you can’t hire someone like him without expecting he will. Sean certainly took some early lumps, and Steele wouldn’t be inheriting junior class David West. And you only have to look at this year’s St. John’s team to understand how much different the Big East reality is vs the A-10 Thad and Sean experienced.

Maybe Steele is the guy to keep the current roster together, but that doesn’t mean we’re not looking at a young guy who looks lost this time next year. Our circumstance is so much different now than it was 10 or 15 years ago. There is much greater potential to set someone up for failure who isn’t quite ready for the big time. And as awkward (and awesome) as it is to say, X basketball has become big time. As much as Steele believes he’s ready, GC would have to be a fool to put him in that sort of position if he wasn’t totally convinced he’s ready for it. It wouldn’t be fair to Steele.

That said, I also read that Steele has a son named Winston. Winston Steele. Enough said, call the press conference.
    Here's my thought on this without having any insider knowledge at all about Steele or any possible candidates. If there is not a proven major head coach willing to take this job, then give the job to Steele. I'd rather take the risk with him and keep things as stable as possible in the near term, vs a mid major head coach or an outside assistant that is going to be just as risky. That's just my opinion.

SLU GRAD, XAVIER SUPERFAN D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    I read he could have played DIII ball but knew he wanted to get into coaching so enrolled at Butler and coached an Indy high school team.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Junior
    Even with Mack, everyone was expecting a rebuild type year next season. Obviously the incoming class wasn’t a home run, either. I guess what I’m saying is no matter who the coach is the leash will be somewhat long considering the circumstances.

We might as well acknowledge that no matter who is the coach next year, the roster has some holes. Decent starting five, but not much proven depth. Not a strong (current) recruiting class coming in (at least on paper), good chance there will be a learning curve for both the coach and the players as new systems and personal are put in place. The chances are better than even that next year will be a struggle. My expectations are certainly lower than they where for this past year, but that would have been true even if Mack had returned. I really have no idea who will be the coach next year, although I would say that Steele appears to be the current front runner. But no matter who it is, they will most probably have to be given a pass for next year, and possibly even the next one after that.

They should be expected to make the tournament next year assuming everyone comes back. That’s hardly rebuilding. They could definitely use some depth, so a couple grad transfers/JUCO guys would be nice.

Supporting Member
    Starting five is solid...depth is a serious issue. Need Bordeaux back or another grad transfer for the front line for sure and would be nice for guard depth too. I doubt any of the incoming freshmen will be ready to play much.

Who will be the next coach at X?

I hope the new coach can get more out of Gates than we saw most of this year. He had a couple games that proved he has the talent. The second half of the year left much to be desired, hopefully a fresh mindset can keep him from snowballing negatively on both ends of the floor.

I worry because if the supporting guys last year weren’t excelling with defenses focusing on Tre/JP/Kerem, I don’t see it improving when they will be focused.

Naji, of course was the exception.

Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    Here's my thought on this without having any insider knowledge at all about Steele or any possible candidates. If there is not a proven major head coach willing to take this job, then give the job to Steele. I'd rather take the risk with him and keep things as stable as possible in the near term, vs a mid major head coach or an outside assistant that is going to be just as risky. That's just my opinion.
    Great post- I agree completely.

I prefer a proven coach at a high profile job- I am on the Miller/Matta/Musselman train myself, but there certainly are others that have been thrown out there that I like. If that cannot be done, then go Steele over Oats and some of the other mid-major names out there.

Quote Originally Posted by XUBison View Post
    Okay, I need some help on Steele. He is 34, correct? A 2015 GoXavier article says he started coaching AAU in 2001, when he would have been 17? The same article also said he graduated from Butler in 2004, when he would have been 20? Am I missing something, or is he our own version of Doogie Howser?
    Rick and I did an interview with Travis on our podcast a few years ago. He knew he wanted to coach from a young age and was actually coaching youth AAU teams (think grade school kids) and doing skill workouts with younger players while he was in high school. I believe he was an assistant coach for HS varsity team while he was a student at Butler, which is kind of amazing. This is also why the Merchants of Class don't consider him part of the Butler family - he was never really involved with the BU program while he was there. After that he was a grad assistant with Thad at OSU for a year, a couple years with Sampson at IU, and then here.

Also worth noting that John Groce, currently Akron coach and formerly at Illinois, Ohio U, and an assistant at Xavier, is his half-brother, so that explains somewhat his entry into the profession at a young age.

All-Conference
    Quote Originally Posted by danaandvictory View Post
    Rick and I did an interview with Travis on our podcast a few years ago. He knew he wanted to coach from a young age and was actually coaching youth AAU teams (think grade school kids) and doing skill workouts with younger players while he was in high school. I believe he was an assistant coach for HS varsity team while he was a student at Butler, which is kind of amazing. This is also why the Merchants of Class don't consider him part of the Butler family - he was never really involved with the BU program while he was there. After that he was a grad assistant with Thad at OSU for a year, a couple years with Sampson at IU, and then here.

Also worth noting that John Groce, currently Akron coach and formerly at Illinois, Ohio U, and an assistant at Xavier, is his half-brother, so that explains somewhat his entry into the profession at a young age.
    Interesting.

Considering he was the guy who couldn't land our top targets last year (not bashing, just pointing it out), does he even want the job knowing how hard it is to get elite talent? He might even feel he'd have more success at Louisville getting talent, and I'm guessing he already knows his salary number if he heads to Louisville. Basically, he could be looking to earn more as an assistant.

I could see him removing his name from consideration if certain things aren't guaranteed. You can tell Mack wanted him in his presser, and I'm sure he made the salary very enticing. Steele and Mack have likely been discussing this strategy for months to guarantee the best of both worlds for Trav.
    Last edited by drudy23; 03-29-2018 at 09:27 AM.