Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Recruiting Rankings overrated?

Kansas State and Loyola do not have anyone higher than 3 stars on their teams. Xavier Snead was ranked 144 in his class. I hear a lot of people basically saying next years class sucks because we have no incoming 4 stars. It’s not the be all end all.

Quote Originally Posted by xavierj View Post
    Kansas State and Loyola do not have anyone higher than 3 stars on their teams. Xavier Snead was ranked 144 in his class. I hear a lot of people basically saying next years class sucks because we have no incoming 4 stars. It’s not the be all end all.
    EVERY year you have a team or two that makes a run and then you don't hear from them for years. Why? Because they don't consistently recruit at a high level. Loyola is having a perfect storm year for them. They won't do anything for another decade.

KSU is decent, but still it's been since that epic Sweet 16 game vs X that they've done anything in the tournament.

Recruiting is one of the MOST IMPORTANT things for a basketball program, because in the end, the team with the most talent usually wins. Not always, but more often than not.

There's no way around it, next year's recruiting class is not up to Xavier standards. Not a single Top 150 kid.

Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    EVERY year you have a team or two that makes a run and then you don't hear from them for years. Why? Because they don't consistently recruit at a high level. Loyola is having a perfect storm year for them. They won't do anything for another decade.

KSU is decent, but still it's been since that epic Sweet 16 game vs X that they've done anything in the tournament.

Recruiting is one of the MOST IMPORTANT things for a basketball program, because in the end, the team with the most talent usually wins. Not always, but more often than not.

There's no way around it, next year's recruiting class is not up to Xavier standards. Not a single Top 150 kid.
    I agree but I also think one of the new guys will be really good. My guess is Keonte Kennedy. Long and athletic. Had a lot of offers
    Including Georgia tech and Nebraska. The scout guys also think Walter is ahead of O’mara At the same stage and he is 7’1”. Throw in the transfer who averages 17 and 8 his first two years and it will probably be a better class than people think.

Even Florida State has 6 3 stars on their roster, Xavier had 3.

Quote Originally Posted by xavierj View Post
    I agree but I also think one of the new guys will be really good. My guess is Keonte Kennedy. Long and athletic. Had a lot of offers
    Including Georgia tech and Nebraska. The scout guys also think Walter is ahead of O’mara At the same stage and he is 7’1”. Throw in the transfer who averages 17 and 8 his first two years and it will probably be a better class than people think.
    Yeah honestly, we do good with player development, I trust our staff in how the develop the talent, and what we can attract, it's a down class, and they're still not our top prospects, but I don't believe we would just take anybody. This doesn't even count the transfer market we're in now, apparently former 4* Marcus Carr has interest from Xavier, who played his Freshman year at Pitt, he's pretty talented, bit of a turnover prone player, but has potential to become good, I have no doubt we're going to get another guy or two that'll help grow this program. The "class" technically isn't done.

Consistent Recruiting is important.
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Muskie View Post
    Consistent Recruiting is important.
    Yep and I think Xavier has done that. The talent level this year was plenty good to get to a final 4. Talent left on the roster is plenty good to be good next year. I think you will see at least one of the 3 stars coming in will be stars. Sometimes recruiting analyst just miss. If you get a lower rated player it sure helps if they are long and athletic and can shoot.

Recruiting rankings are just someone’s opinion. I like Kennedy and James. Walter is a Wait and see guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sophomore
    I am perversely proud that XU is a so successful over the last almost 30 years without a McDonald's All American Freshman ever.
    Do we find hidden gems?
    Recognize hard workers?
    Develop potential?
    All of the above?

Wear blue at games!
    Birdman'71'76