Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
    [QUOTE=D-West & PO-Z;624847]Didnt see this before my post, funny we used same adjective but that field really is stacked. Kinda bummed we are playing in a tourney that good in a year with so many new faces and unknowns.[/QUOT

This is why X will win. They will sneak up on them.
    We've come a long way since my bench seat at the Fieldhouse!

This seems really early for the full non-con schedule to come together.

Then again, I've been drinking.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

The team is less experienced, I know, but this schedule is the opposite of impressive. To put all their eggs in with the Maui tourney is not what the program should be aspiring to. No reason to buy a home ticket except for maybe Wisconsin.

I'd hope what they go towards is tough competition from multiple conferences every year. Preferably one match up scheduled from the other big six conferences, outside of any tournament. That can be tough, I know, but should be possible most years. Focus on schools, at least, from with the top 16 RPI conferences.

No need to play TWO MAC and THREE Horizon schools in the same year. One from each is great, but let's try to matchup with programs towards the top of last year's standings. Would love to see games with Wright State and NKU instead of IUPUI, Detroit or even Evansville. Between leagues like Southern, Patriot, Ohio Valley, CUSA, A10, etc. there has to be teams that were towards the top of the standings that would at least draw more interest of a competitive game.

I wouldn't complain if they played Dayton, but really see no reason to play them ever again, unless it's in a tournament. Certainly not every year. It was a tired matchup for years and just no longer fun. Can't see that changing soon unless they elevate their program. I think it would be great to have at least one team from A10 each year, but not the same team.

It does seem that other than the Maui tournament, that the schedule is easier than it’s been historically.

Junior
    I agree (even though I think Xavier schedules too much for numbers game and less about high quality teams) and in most cases wouldn’t love it but I think it will be important for Steele to have some ease ones this year
    Last edited by Xavier; 05-20-2018 at 10:33 PM.

I think the schedule is pretty solid. @Mizzou and @Cincy with Wisky at home to go along with likely 3 really tough games in Maui (0-3 is not even close to out of the question)? I really wouldn't want a more difficult schedule with this year's roster.

I certainly trust Mario. The last three years: 1 and 2 seeds, and importantly a tourney invite with a 9-9 League record. I don't think we'll be competing for a top 5 RPI this year, but hopefully the schedule (with the Maui tourney) will support our results as defending Big East champs in the league and we will enjoy postseason success. Would anyone be shocked if Travis brings us to a Sweet 16 or beyond - what a great program we have!

What about the schedule in terms of entertainment value?

Last year's OOC set up quite well for this out-of-towner. UC, Baylor, and Colorado were games of interest and two of those were on a Saturday (also away games at Wisconsin and at UNI were drive-able). I also made the exhibition and the Hampton game. Initial thoughts on the schedule are that maybe I take an extra day off and make an extra long weekend for both Evansville and Wisconsin. The @UC game is certainly more intriguing than the rest of the home schedule. I'll certainly try to make one or two more, but not sure. I'm not complaining, just sayin'.
    Last edited by WCWIII; 05-21-2018 at 07:09 AM.

Sophomore
    I think you guys are underselling the Maui Tournament. In most exempt tournaments, you typically get 1 high major, and it's not always a marquee game. The Maui will guarantee 3 marquee, high-major games on top of Wisconsin, UC, and Missouri. The schedule will be plenty tough.
    Last edited by scoscox; 05-23-2018 at 11:54 AM.

Is it a question of whether the schedule is adequately tough for a resume alone? Or is there no need to give fans a reason to want to see the team play a competitive game at home?

Jeez, I want to support a team, but by this point we know they could be scheduling more competitive games and fill the stands. The machine is likely selling enough season tickets that they aren't worried. But as a fan who wants to enjoy action on home court, this schedule is snoozer.

Yep, that tournament will be a challenge. It's not at Cintas.

But I agree, between the tournament, UC, WI, and MO they have the right number of majors to give them a resume.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by sirthought View Post
    Is it a question of whether the schedule is adequately tough for a resume alone? Or is there no need to give fans a reason to want to see the team play a competitive game at home?

Jeez, I want to support a team, but by this point we know they could be scheduling more competitive games and fill the stands. The machine is likely selling enough season tickets that they aren't worried. But as a fan who wants to enjoy action on home court, this schedule is snoozer.

Yep, that tournament will be a challenge. It's not at Cintas.

But I agree, between the tournament, UC, WI, and MO they have the right number of majors to give them a resume.
    We will still have wisconsin at home and the shootout and missouri happen to be away. Besides you'll still get to see them play the defending national champs, along with marquette, gtown, butler, creighton, etc. Just consider that 5 years ago, you'd see maybe two high majors a year and then fordham, st bonaventure, and umass. I'm willing to give them a pass on squeezing in another high major non-conference home game to an already loaded schedule.