Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Big East Recommends Replacement of 1 and Done

Link

The Big East has recommended replacing one-and-done with a two-or-none policy in college basketball, along with NCAA regulation of agents and the creation of an elite player unit to focus on "players with realistic aspirations of playing in the NBA."
    The Big East's recommendations come a week after a similar report by the Pac-12 for the NCAA's commission on college basketball, led by former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice. The commission was created in response to a federal investigation into corruption in college basketball.
    The Big East's plan calls for the elimination of the NBA's one-and-done rule, which prohibits its teams from drafting players until they are at least 19 or a year removed from high school.
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

This is the way to go. If a kid doesn't want to go to college but try his hand at professional ball why not let him, but if he's going to go to college he needs to make a commitment past one year.

Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Personally I think it should they should be able to go right after high school or go to college for just one year. Not sure why they should be restricted. Only reason NBA did this was to protect themselves from drafting high school kids who were busts.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Supporting Member
    I'm against any restriction on when someone can declare for the draft. If he has NBA talent, then why wastes years of that talent (and the money that goes along with it) to risk getting injured while playing for free.
    "If our season was based on A-10 awards, there’d be a lot of empty space up in the rafters of the Cintas Center." - Chris Mack

Two years give a program an assurance that the player will be there and gives the program more continuity. But I also think players should get some kind of stipend or at least money held in trust until they graduate or leave.

I don't believe football or baseball has had any issues with doing things this way, and their requirements are three years.

Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chico View Post
    Two years give a program an assurance that the player will be there and gives the program more continuity. But I also think players should get some kind of stipend or at least money held in trust until they graduate or leave.

I don't believe football or baseball has had any issues with doing things this way, and their requirements are three years.
    These arent NCAA reuirements they are the professional league requirements. (Except maybe baseball, I'm not positive there.) They only exist to benefit the professional sports leagues. No other reason.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Junior
    The system undoubtedly needs a change. Problem is, as mentioned, the NBA holds the trump card (age requirement) and an utterly contemptible NCAA holds the rest.

One thing that grinds my gears about the system is it benefits foreign players. They can be drafted and left in Europe for a couple years. I don't have the statistics, but I feel like a lot of second round picks go to foreign players, they get stashed, and then never see an NBA floor. Can anyone with more knowledge of the NBA verify this?
    zip em up

Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    They only exist to benefit the professional sports leagues. No other reason.
    Yep. (Public reps)

The NBA really likes its free advertising and player development it gets from the NCAA. The G-League seems to be slowly evolving into a proper minor league, which could make high school players more attractive to the NBA. The NBA benefits from getting LeBron James and Kevin Garnett in the league as soon as possible. If they can do that while whiffing on Desagana Diop (by putting him in the G-League), I think you'll see change in the NBA's draft rules.

Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    These arent NCAA reuirements they are the professional league requirements. (Except maybe baseball, I'm not positive there.) They only exist to benefit the professional sports leagues. No other reason.
    I agree they benefit the pros. It's a great feeder program, and costs them nothing.

I just think that if there are kids that want to go straight to the pros, let them. But if a kid wants to play for a college there needs to be more of a commitment than just one year. It also means that the letter of intent needs to change from a one year commitment from the school to a two year commitment.

I thought of an approach recently. Kind of similar to what the BE is suggesting...

-The NBA would convene a separate draft yearly, where teams could select a HS JUNIOR.

-Not all teams would need to select someone. They would establish a draft order once, and if you select a player, you would move to the end of the draft order the following year. If you pass, you keep your spot in the draft order for next year.

-No more than 15 players may be drafted per year.

-A player that is selected is required to finish their Senior year of HS, playing if they choose to. They cannot sign the contract until after they graduate, and the contract is for a set amount. the team cannot rescind the contract between drafting and when the player graduates.

-Players are NOT required to sign the contract, and can elect college if they choose to

- If a player is signed, the NBA teams can elect to 1) send the player to the D league, 2) put them on the active roster or 3) place them on the roster as an additional player beyond the normal number of players permitted, allowing the player to travel and practice with the team, but they cannot play in games.

- NBA teams are only permitted to have 1 player at a time that was drafted under these circumstances and is either in the D-League, or on the roster as an "extra player." Once a player makes the normal roster, the team becomes eligible once again to draft someone.

- NBA teams are forbidden to trade a player for 2 full years. They can release the player. In the case of a trade (after 2 years) or release, the NBA team would be prohibited from participating in this draft for 3 years after the year they drafted the player (they can still move "up" in the draft order, but they cant make a selection)

- After 3 full years, a player that has not made an active roster has the option to become an unrestricted free agent.

- The NORMAL NBA draft would be modified so that NBA teams are prohibited from drafting players who haven't spent 2 years in college (or are the equivalent age).

- This applies to ALL players, foreigners too.

So, in essence, what you'd get is the very top players who would have been one-and-done out of the way, and the would never enter college. but those that DID go to college would need to stay for 2 years (I guess they could go pro overseas or whatever, but they can already do that and rarely do....) And, since they get drafted after their junior year of HS, the colleges can stop recruiting them or would have a year to react if one of their commitments does get signed.

Fire Away!
    Last edited by MHettel; 03-22-2018 at 03:41 PM.