Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by OTRMUSKIE View Post
    Every coach that has been at X is about to be out of the game. Miller is prob gone soon. How many more people need to leave X and find themselves without a job before you say maybe it’s not worth it. 2 million is a ton of money but it comes down to job security for me. Barring a complete collapse he probably is safe here for a long time. Whatever he chooses I have nothing bad to say about him. I wish him the best and if he does leave then we move on.
    I think he'd have a pretty safe first 5 years in Louisville depending on probation, and outcomes tbh. But I don't know, it's a lot of money, and I can't blame him for entertaining that thought. I think Mack is a better X's and O's guy than Matta and Miller, I don't know if that's recency bias, or whatever, but it's in my mind. Also, Mack's keeping Xavier at this high level in a big boy conference as opposed to A-10, etc. I think that also would come into play, it's not like we're a mid-major team or anything, we're playing tough competition game in and game out, that's why I believe Mack would succeed if he left. My two cents.

Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    This is such a short-sighted statement. First of all, they may be on probation for a year, at most, 2.

Louisville is as close to a blue blood as you can get, if not already considered one...the difference between being a coach at Louisville and being a coach at Xavier is significant, and it's not just money. With that, comes more challenges but it also comes with a lot more perks. What Mack or any other coach needs to decide is if the pros outweigh the cons. Some of you really need to take off the blinders and realize there are a ton of pros along with the cons.
    Louisville is the Walmart shopping, white trash of the bluebloods.

Quote Originally Posted by JTG View Post
    Louisville is the Walmart shopping, white trash of the bluebloods.
    That's actually Kentucky. A very accurate description of Kentucky, too.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Go Golston View Post
    Chris Mack will NEVER NEVER NEVER coach at a school where hookers were provided to recruits and expose that history to his daughters, who love basketball. Lo'ville's chances of landing him are NONE to NONE.
    How many of you who thinks he is leaving are actually from here? He's a North College Hill, St. X guy. It's a GCL thing. Still hangs out with his grade school friends. He's the king. Making great money (maybe more). And he's at a DESTINATION place; not a stepping stone. None of the other guys who left were FROM HERE. Just think-if he were the coach at UMass right now and had a chance to come back here, the national media would jump on it in a minute. "He's got a chance to GO HOME". It's used all the time when talking about coaching changes. XU hoops has not even come close to hitting the ceiling. He was personally offended by the stupid question about "the end of an era" and invoked Larkin, Hill, Posey, West and Grant. That right there told me he's not going anywhere.
    I know Chris' parents. First class people with happiness values that are not primarily based on $$$. In fact, his Dad has a history of employment based upon what he wants to do and what he can contribute, even if it means less money. I am certain they have set an example.

And as to the 5 mil vs. 6 mil issue, 3 mil x20 years beats 5 mil for 5 or 10 years and I could live well on either.
    Also, he knows X is a great fit. He can only guess how Louisville would be.

Wear blue at games!
    Birdman'71'76

Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    That's actually Kentucky. A very accurate description of Kentucky, too.
    Having worked in Louisville and Lexington, I'd say you're right. Lexington does have a bit more of a snooty factor.Lots of mouth breathers amongst the general UK fans, just like the average IU fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    Maybe, maybe not. I don't know Chris and what really makes him tick. However, I will say that money is probably way down the line in terms of the decision to take the Louisville job or not. I'm sure its a decision making point, but doubt it is number one or two.

With all that said, you compound 3 million vs 5 million and the difference starts to get pretty significant over 5-10 years.
    That assumes both tracks are similar with respect to balancing level of success with expectations, and what that means for surviving the job.

Which track has the more patient disposition? The answer is Xavier's track.

If it is reasonable to argue that it is more probable that his "life expectancy" at Xavier will make it the full 10 years, then the aggregate figure is $30 mil. All that assumes his energy and passion for X stays where it is such that he continues to achieve success as he's been doing, hopefully getting to a NC win at some point.

If he lasts 6 years at UL, he matches what the Xavier track has to offer, with these assumptions being made about compensation. Let's forgot about the time value of money in all this.

We throw these differences in ANNUAL COMPENSATION out like they're candy at Halloween. The annual comp is the multiplicand, right? The question is what the multiplier might end up being.

It isn't a forgone conclusion that anyone is going to last at the 'ville for 10 years, notwithstanding UL's track record with coaches up to now. Times have changed. And that program is a mess.

And, frankly, we all have our perceptions. When it comes to UL, I see nothing but dirty. I see that in their football coach. And we certainly have witnessed that with their basketball program. WIN AT ALL COSTS and BLUE BLOOD programs don't go hand in hand with me, and I do understand that some of the other so-called blue bloods can be hot messes as well.
    X A V I E R

Quote Originally Posted by bleedXblue View Post
    Really, just how much financial security do you need? For future generations? He's going to be making gobs of money no matter what. His children are ALREADY going to be set for life. You really think he's looking at 2-3 generations down the line......
    Do you know how much money I made last year?

Not enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

Junior
    I wouldn't underestimate the Christi factor. His girls are what 6th grade? Brayden is still pre-school. Not a bad time to make the move if your wife really wants to be back in her hometown. Throw in 35 Million other reasons and a chance to bring a blue blood back to respectability ... He's gone guys. But i agree, X will be fine.
    Xavier is THE University of Cincinnati

Quote Originally Posted by Muskie View Post
    Do you know how much money I made last year?

Not enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    So....we made the exact same amount? What are the odds of THAT?

Quote Originally Posted by xu82 View Post
    So....we made the exact same amount? What are the odds of THAT?
    Very High actually since we do the same kind of work. Damn overhead.
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook