Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1

    Kevin McGuff strikes again

    I just saw Ohio State lost at home as a #3 seed to #11 Central Michigan in the Women's Tournament. In four years with the second-leading scorer in NCAA history (Kelsey Mitchell), OSU never made it past the Sweet Sixteen. Awfully similar to the Harris-Phillips years here.

  2. #2
    Supporting Member GoMuskies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    25,406
    Were Harris and Phillips not on the team that was one missed layup away from the Final Four?

    In any event, maybe Ohio State will fire him and he can make his triumphant return to Xavier!

  3. #3
    Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Montgomery
    Posts
    11,611
    Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    Were Harris and Phillips not on the team that was one missed layup away from the Final Four?

    In any event, maybe Ohio State will fire him and he can make his triumphant return to Xavier!
    Yes they were, I remember watching that and being so sad/frustrated for them. Same girl missed TWO layups that would have sealed it.

    2010 I believe.
    "Iím willing to sacrifice everything for this team. Iím going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. Iím going to play harder than Iíve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    Yes they were, I remember watching that and being so sad/frustrated for them. Same girl missed TWO layups that would have sealed it.

    2010 I believe.
    Yes, but that group won only one other NCAA tournament game in five years (Harris was a year older than Phillips, but missed one season due to injury). Most of those years they lost as the better seed.

  5. #5
    Voice of Reason Masterofreality's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    On America's Great North Coast
    Posts
    17,306
    McGuff. Great recruiter, lousy game coach. dayton’s guy used to coach rings around him.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

  6. #6
    Supporting Member XU 87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    6,099
    In light of the current status of Xavier women's team, I sure wish McGuff was still here.

  7. #7
    When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The Overlook Hotel
    Posts
    11,019
    You're thinking of Jim Jabir. Dayton actually had their best years shortly after McGuff left Xavier for the Washington job.

    As frustrating as postseason was with him at times, it's a much better situation compared to where it is now.

  8. #8
    Sophomore cinskyline's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Blue Ash, OH
    Posts
    731
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    McGuff. Great recruiter, lousy game coach. daytonís guy used to coach rings around him.
    Yep. That pretty much sums him up. Also, when Kelsey Mitchell committed to OSU, McGuff hired her dad as an assistant. Shady to say the least.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Senior Cheesehead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    West Chester, Ohio
    Posts
    6,036
    Quote Originally Posted by cinskyline View Post
    Yep. That pretty much sums him up. Also, when Kelsey Mitchell committed to OSU, McGuff hired her dad as an assistant. Shady to say the least.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Interesting, did not know that. The optics of that looks horrible. Very sketchy.
    Zip'em Up!

  10. #10
    Voice of Reason Masterofreality's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    On America's Great North Coast
    Posts
    17,306
    Quote Originally Posted by X-band '01 View Post
    You're thinking of Jim Jabir. Dayton actually had their best years shortly after McGuff left Xavier for the Washington job.

    As frustrating as postseason was with him at times, it's a much better situation compared to where it is now.
    Yup.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •