Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by smileyy View Post
    A disadvantage of '08 is that they only went 7 deep (sorry Dante Jackson and other SG whose name I don't remember and ended up transferring out):
    Lavender
    Burrell
    Anderson
    Brown
    Duncan
    Raymond
    Love

vs. 9-deep for '18
    If its a one game winner takes all situation 7 deep is plenty. But '18 definitely had more depth and more options if someone was off or there was foul trouble.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    Dante may have saved the '08 season with his big 3 against Georgia in the first round. You've got to include him as a rotation guy.
    Nice recall. I was at that game. It was not fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    With a straight face you think Kanter would be the best big? Wow.

I'll take the best point guard and the better defense myself. Blueitt would be shut down just like he was against fsu
    Kanter was virtually unguardable down the stretch this season. So yeah, straight face.

And Tre isn’t getting shut down by that kind of team. It was freak athletes with incredible size and lateral quickness that gave Tre fits. No one on that ‘08 team fits the bill there.

Junior
    I disagree -- Derrick Brown had the length and athleticism to bother Tre.

Quote Originally Posted by SemajParlor View Post
    If we're doing this crazy hypothetical. I'd pay a lot of money to sit by the floor to hear Tu and Lyons versus Macura.
    The shit talk in that game would be incredible, I'd like to think all 3 would go off for 20+ in that hypothetical situation.

Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by GIMMFD View Post
    The shit talk in that game would be incredible
    Haha yes...and they'd all be able to take it, unlike the guys on the wrong end of 76-53

Lavender is the exact type of guard that would give this team nightmares. He had a killer floater and would get into the lane at will and then kick out to BJ Raymond, Josh Duncan, and even Derrick Brown.

CJ Anderson would take Trevon to the hoop every time he touched the ball.

I just think that '08 team would give this team all it could handle and probably win a 7 game series in 6 games.

Freshman
    As an older fan I'm bringing up the 1990 team vs 08 or 18. Would have to research entire lineup, but that team went Sweet 16. That team had 3 long term NBA players on roster : Sr Tyrone Hill (splendid NBA Career), Sr Derrick Strong (half a dozen NBA Years), Fr Aaron Williams (long NBA Career).
    That team had 2 losses going into last regular season game. This is based partially on what became good NBA Players. Other good NBA players we had years ago included Brian Grant , James Posey & of couse David West . As good as we have been the past 10 years, we aren't putting players in the NBA, at least none that last long or make an impact there.

Freshman
    Quote Originally Posted by smileyy View Post
    Nice recall. I was at that game. It was not fun.
    That Georgia team was legendary. They finished last in the SEC, and then won 3 games in the span of 30 hours to win the SEC. There was a tornado that touch down in Atlanta.

I have always thought the ideal in college is to have an 8 man rotation. Starting 5 along with a guy that can back up the 4/5, a back-up wing and a true back-up PG. In addition, it is nice to have 1-2 guys that could play if called upon, especially as you move into the conference season.

I think some underestimate the strides that can be made by Goodin, Scruggs and Marshall especially, along with Jones and Harden. Gates reminds me of Josh Duncan, and I am hoping Gates can make that little bit of an extra leap forward that Duncan did in his senior year.

Like others have said- we need 3 immediate contributors to our main 5- I hope Harden can be one, maybe one of the frosh and one grad transfer. If we get a 4/5 type player and "3 and D" wing, or heck, just a lights out shooter that is not a total liability on D, I still think a top 25 finish, top 3 BE finish and top 6 seed can be reached. Internal development will be huge.

GO X!