Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    We've been blessed to be a little better on the reloading front. I'm sure Mack will do the grad-transfer route again, and hopefully he can pick up somebody as great as Kanter was for us this season, but Scruggs really came on during the end, he showed some of that explosive ability everybody was raving about when we were recruiting him. If him and Q can continue to hit down the 3, and just become adequate 3 point shooters (I'm not expecting them to be Blueitt and Macura next year), it'll help progress this team along. I'm going to assume Harden stays considering the sheer minutes he should get next year, and I really hope that's true, though it was meaningless game time experience, it was still game-time experience in itself.

I'm a little worried about our bigs situation since Jones has the tendency to foul, not sure if he's going to be able to log 25 minutes a game or so, but I hope so, he shows great athleticism at times, almost like a baby Jalen Reynolds. Gates having a James Farr type of growth into his senior year would be amazing, he gets hated on quite a bit (not as much as Justin Martin or Jeff Robinson did, but still a decent amount), we've seen that Senior jump time after time again, and I am going to keep faith that he's going to get it figured out, we need his athleticism on defense, and on the glass.

Naji is going to be an absolute stud, I also believe he will be our leading scorer, and a monster defensively, he's got great length and if he can shoot the three a little bit more consistently as well too, he's going to be almost unstoppable. Looking forward to seeing him have a monster sophomore jump as well.

Moving forward, I think we'll be alright next year, I think we'll be competitive still, not going to set the world on fire with 30 wins, it's going to be a growing pain type of struggle for a little bit, but we're in a good position. If the 2018 class with Kennedy and Walters can just turn themselves into solid 4 year players that can contribute minutes, and we build on a monster 2019 class, we could have something scary for Q's Senior year, kind of like this year to be quite honest..

Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    ESPN Insider take:

http://www.espn.com/blog/ncbrecruiti.../post?id=18181

An excerpt:

Possible 2018-19 starting five

G: Quentin Goodin

G: Paul Scruggs

G: Naji Marshall

F: Kaiser Gates

F: Evan Boudreaux

Trending: Neutral -- for now. Much of this depends on what happens with Mack. He’s going to be one of the primary candidates at Louisville, and it remains to be seen what Xavier would do if he left. As it stands, don’t expect Xavier to take a huge step back, and the Musketeers will likely be busy on the transfer market to fill some gaps.
    "I知 willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I知 going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I知 going to play harder than I致e ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Quote Originally Posted by GIMMFD View Post
    Moving forward, I think we'll be alright next year, I think we'll be competitive still, not going to set the world on fire with 30 wins, it's going to be a growing pain type of struggle for a little bit, but we're in a good position. If the 2018 class with Kennedy and Walters can just turn themselves into solid 4 year players that can contribute minutes, and we build on a monster 2019 class, we could have something scary for Q's Senior year, kind of like this year to be quite honest..
    You forgot about SF/PF Dontarious James.

I think this Boudreaux kid is better than people think.
    Run the table.

Quote Originally Posted by SemajParlor View Post
    I think this Boudreaux kid is better than people think.
    He'd better be!

Trying to be optimistic here. A lineup with Goodin, Scruggs, Marshall, Gates, and Jones on paper is fantastic defensively (and significantly better than this years I might add). Throw in some scoring from what I think is a good incoming transfer for 2 years and maybe pick up a grad that can provide some shooting. If you take a look at some of the big names that are leaving the Big East, I like our chances to be a fun defensive unit that can get and up and down the floor. This team on paper will be drastically different from our high powered O and moderate to poor D this year. Not suggesting we will overall be anywhere near as this year, but a tournament berth is certainly a reasonable goal to me.
    Run the table.

Agree, Semaj.

I do think Mack, or Mack’s replacement, will have to change the defensive strategy to put an increased emphasis on turnovers. Reason being, Marshall, Scruggs, and Goodin all need space to shoot from the perimeter. Whereas, Macura and Bluiett did not. So playing solid defense, getting out in transition, and hitting open shots in transition will be the team’s key to success. And the length / lateral quickness this team puts a premium on needs to counterbalance knockdown shooting.

As the team currently stands - and we all know how summers at X typically go - I think it’s a fringe Top 25 team.

I can see a more uptempo team, more of a run and gun for next year. Scruggs and Q will start together, we have seen them play a lot together this year. I think Hardin will make a good leap, he's got a nice stroke, needed a year to grow as a player, hopefully he steps of this offseason knowing he has a chance to get big piece next season. I also saw where James is the highest rater player coming in, I think he will provide good minutes, like Jones did his freshman year. I agree would be nice to add another guard.
    Coaches don't make Xavier, Xavier makes coaches.

Keeping my fingers crossed that Hardin is the BJ Raymond of his class.

I guess I'm a little more optimistic than some about the lineup next year. Both Goodin and Scruggs have shown an ability to get to the rim, and if Boudreaux is as good a shot as some say he'll get open looks off the drive and kick out. We'll be thin down low, but maybe Gates can go the James Farr route and become more of a presence on the boards and around the basket.

I'm not concerned at all about how this lineup looked Sunday. It was the first time all year they played that lineup, in arguably the biggest game of the year. With time to practice and players now knowing it's their turn to step up, it should be a much different look in the fall.

As far as the Big East in general, we're not the only team losing the bulk of their scoring. Nova loses at least Brunson and Bridges. Seton Hall loses Carrington and Delgado. Providence loses Bullock and Cartwright. Creighton loses Foster, and Butler loses Martin. Pretty much every teams' heart and soul is departing. The Big East is going to be a different conference next year. Why can't our lineup compete?

Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chico View Post
    Keeping my fingers crossed that Hardin is the BJ Raymond of his class.

I guess I'm a little more optimistic than some about the lineup next year. Both Goodin and Scruggs have shown an ability to get to the rim, and if Boudreaux is as good a shot as some say he'll get open looks off the drive and kick out. We'll be thin down low, but maybe Gates can go the James Farr route and become more of a presence on the boards and around the basket.

I'm not concerned at all about how this lineup looked Sunday. It was the first time all year they played that lineup, in arguably the biggest game of the year. With time to practice and players now knowing it's their turn to step up, it should be a much different look in the fall.

As far as the Big East in general, we're not the only team losing the bulk of their scoring. Nova loses at least Brunson and Bridges. Seton Hall loses Carrington and Delgado. Providence loses Bullock and Cartwright. Creighton loses Foster, and Butler loses Martin. Pretty much every teams' heart and soul is departing. The Big East is going to be a different conference next year. Why can't our lineup compete?
    Brunson is only a junior and I dont think hes leaving early because I'm not sure he's going to get a first round guarantee.

But I agree with the rest of your post.
    "I知 willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I知 going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I知 going to play harder than I致e ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17