Page 2 of 123 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast
    Go makes some good points. Louisville is a mess right now, and you don't know what kind of sanctions that may be facing. You also don't know how much of Louisville's success is a result of their paying players to come there, i.e. how much 'ability to compete' do you really pick up by leaving Xavier to go to a depleted Louisville?

One thing we do know: They can pay A LOT more than we can/will, so that is always a concern.
    Eat Donuts!

Yes, but i have concluded it is only possible when we’re playing the role of the true underdog (4 seed or worse).

Before last night’s game, I would have put it at 90% leaving 10% staying. This morning, I’d put it at 70/30. We’ve all heard the “it’s a done deal” rumors. However, it’s one thing to depart after getting us over the FF hump. He would be welcome back to his alma mater any time. Departing now means his legacy with his alma mater ends on an extremely sour note with unfinished business. Mack was an assistant on the 2007 team when the Xavier faithful let Matta hear it every time he was shown on the Jumbotron. He obviously knows how the fans felt about Miller’s departure. He knows that if one of our own departs, it would permanently label us as a stepping stone job.

Ironically, Sean Miller might be our biggest advocate. We know Mack is going to consult him and there’s a good chance Sean tells him he would do it differently if he could do it over again.

Probably wishful thinking on my part. Soooo... Kelsey or Steele?
    Last edited by Blue Blooded-05; 03-19-2018 at 10:03 AM.
    "It's like X wasn't given enough to do, so they had to promise it more. Okay, you don't start a lot of words, but we'll give you a co-starring role in tic-tac-toe. And you will be associated with hugs and kisses. And you will mark the spot. And you will make writing Christmas easier." -Mitch Hedberg

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Blooded-05 View Post
    Yes, but i have concluded it is only possible when we’re playing the role of the true underdog (4 seed or worse).

Before last night’s game, I would have put it at 90% leaving 10% staying. This morning, I’d put it at 70/30. We’ve all heard the “it’s a done deal” rumors. However, it’s one thing to depart after getting us over the FF hump. He would be welcome back to his alma mater any time. Departing now means his legacy with his alma mater ends on an extremely sour note with unfinished business. Mack was an assistant on the 2007 team when the Xavier faithful let Matta hear it every time he was shown on the Jumbotron. He obviously knows how the fans felt about Miller’s departure. He knows that if one of our own departs, it would permanently label us as a stepping stone job.

Ironically, Sean Miller might be our biggest advocate. We know Mack is going to consult him and there’s a good chance Sean tells him he would do it differently if he could do it over again.

Probably wishful thinking on my part. Soooo... Kelsey or Steele?
    Why on Earth would anyone want Pat Kelsey?

Quote Originally Posted by boozehound View Post
    One thing we do know: They can pay A LOT more than we can/will, so that is always a concern.
    Accurate, and why I struggle so much with the folks who expect the program to reach a "next level". That's not to say that cannot. But expectations should be commensurate with resources. One cannot acknowledge that Xavier can't pay Mack as much as 30-40 schools might, but expect them to make Final Fours every so often. It's cognitively inconsistent.

BTW, the fact that number is only 30-40 is impressive given Xavier's enrollment and overall endowment. Everyone gets a pat on the back.

Quote Originally Posted by AviatorX View Post
    The foolish hope that Xavier finally lands someone who wants to stay.

I think Winthrop should want Pat Kelsey. He's done a nice job there.

Xavier? God, no. I'd say it would be Steele for sure in the event something terrible happens.

UMASS did
    "It's like X wasn't given enough to do, so they had to promise it more. Okay, you don't start a lot of words, but we'll give you a co-starring role in tic-tac-toe. And you will be associated with hugs and kisses. And you will mark the spot. And you will make writing Christmas easier." -Mitch Hedberg

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat View Post
    The foolish hope that Xavier finally lands someone who wants to stay.
    We already have a coach who wants to stay.
    Coaches don't make Xavier, Xavier makes coaches.

I'm not advocating for Kelsey, but I'm not sure what everyone has seen out of Steele that would think he's the logical successor. I'm also not trying to bag on Steele. Just asking the question.
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Muskie View Post
    I'm not advocating for Kelsey, but I'm not sure what everyone has seen out of Steele that would think he's the logical successor. I'm also not trying to bag on Steele. Just asking the question.
    The same things we saw out of Prosser and Miller and Mack that made us think they were the logical successors. It's been a pretty good system to date.