Page 68 of 123 FirstFirst ... 1858666768697078118 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by stammina0721 View Post
    I'm sorry but I call your bluff. You said it yourself... The choice comes down to your family. They are well off at 175k a year. If XYZ comes and offers you 500k you are not considering you are flying at that job. 500k gives you a new lifestyle. 500k means after 5 years you have better 2.5 million as opposed to less than 1 million. If original company comes back and says how about 300k you are still going for 500k cause it puts your family in a better position. The difference between 300k and 500k is immense. And you are definitely taking not just considering if XYZ is a little over an hour away so you are still in contact with family and friends
    Fundamentally, you make point. But it's the use of "generic" numbers that allow you to do so.

-175K Vs 500K would be a massive increase and would in fact result in a "different lifestyle." Point made!
    -the counter offer of 300K vs the existing 175K would also improve your quality of life a great deal, but not as much as 500K would.
    -So the question becomes, what is the actual impact on your lifestyle of the incremental 200K?

But here's the thing.....we are not talking about 175K, or 300K, or 500K. We are talking about numbers that are 10 times those amounts.

If I'm making 1.75M already, I'm in a very select circle of people that can already afford all the luxuries in life. Do I really need more? Hell yes, I'll take more....but need? Gold silverware maybe? Buy a helicopter? get ANOTHER vacation home? Bling?

so along comes the 5M offer, and as a result a 3M counter. the 3M is still a huge upgrade, and you can go ahead and get the vacation home and the bling, but maybe not the helicopter. And, you give up NOTHING of what you already have.

Would you trade a helicopter for uprooting your kids, tolerating fan scrutiny to a 10x level, having the looming NCAA investigation, and just overall uncertainty?

The numbers are too big here to suggest a lifestyle change. He's already got the lifestyle. If Mack is Smart, he's use UofL to get the biggest raise possible, and have us shower him with accolades. he should speak to Matta, Miller, and Gillen. How that work out. Hell, Prosser DIED, and you cant rule out the possibility that job related stress wasn't a contributing factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Blooded-05 View Post
    To put it another way... imagine one of those previously mentioned recruits with a hooker who has been paid and is willing. Everything is about to go down, as expected... alone in a room... clothes off... condom on... legs spread... then he looks down and sees herpes. Not a massive outbreak yet, but just a few noticeable yet inconspicuous bumps. Now, we all know cooler heads should prevail and he should know that one small bump is just as bad as one hundred. We sit here removed from the situation and say he should obviously stop and think about the long term impact this decision will have on his health and happiness. We all know he should walk away, and deep down, he does too. But we also know in that moment he’s going to tell himself that it’s probably razor burn and worry about the reprocussions later.

what.the.fuck.?

Leaving X killed Skip? Damn... if that’s not enough to convince Mack to stay I don’t know what is.

Quote Originally Posted by Backyard Champ View Post
    A little more money... better facilities, better confererence, bigger spotlight, chance to coach against some of the best coaches of all time, a top 10 (close to top 5) basketball program..

But yeah it's for "a little more money"
    Following 3 legendary coaches at a program that was top 10 when you got there

vs.

Becoming the legendary coach of the top 10 program you helped create

checkmate.

Junior
    It occurred to me UL is an Adidas school, whereas X is a Nike school. Any chance Nike sweetens the Xavier deal to keep a high profile coach from switching to Adidas ? Probably a stretch but something I thought about.

Quote Originally Posted by MHettel View Post
    Following 3 legendary coaches at a program that was top 10 when you got there

vs.

Becoming the legendary coach of the top 10 program you helped create

checkmate.
    One could argue the real checkmate will be Mack taking the Lville job, which all credible sources are making sound like a sure bet.

We're plumbing new depths folks.

Quote Originally Posted by MHettel View Post
    Hell, Prosser DIED, and you cant rule out the possibility that job related stress wasn't a contributing factor.
    Are you seriously arguing that the Wake Forest job killed Skip, and he would still be alive today had he stayed at X?

Quote Originally Posted by SemajParlor View Post
    "With his first head coaching job at his alma mater – and in his hometown – Mack said he couldn't envision being in a better situation.

Xavier fans have heard that before, of course.

Maybe this time things will be different."
    When Mack talks about his passion for his new gig – when he labels it a "destination job" and a "once-in-a-lifetime opportunity" – there's a chance he actually means it.

"Destination job"....I hope the Louisville situation is just a ploy to get more money....If he leaves, he is nothing but a liar.

Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by XU 87 View Post
    Are you seriously arguing that the Wake Forest job killed Skip, and he would still be alive today had he stayed at X?
    I'm not sure about Skip, but the Wake Forest job definitely killed Dino Gaudio's career.
    zip em up