Page 36 of 123 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686 ... LastLast
    I would say raising a kid in California is only good if you want to raise a tree hugging liberal that gets offended at the words what sex are you? Mack never said he wanted to go to Louisville, only people on this board and so called pundits. For all we know Mack is laughing his ass off at this. I honestly don’t think he is going anywhere. If he does stay then just be honest with us and say he will be at X till he gets fired because this coaching carousel is becoming obnoxious.
    If I was going to school for school, I wouldn’t have picked the University of Cincinnati. Dontonio Wingfield

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by JTG View Post
    Miller is looking for a place to land
    Mack is being courted. Very different situations
    No one comes out and says they're not interested hours after the current coach is let go. Let it play out ,see where it goes. Of note, except for Matta, the other former X coaches had only very modest success. It's says something for the grass not always being greener elsewhere.
    No one comes out to say they’re not interested hours after the current coach is let go? Chris doesn’t have to say jack about the Louisville job. He can simply say he’s staying at X, any time he wants. And very modest success? Sean has done pretty damn well, until getting nailed by the FBI. So did Skip, until he, you know... died.

Junior
    I could only hope to raise a kid like that

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by smileyy View Post
    I could only hope to raise a kid like that
    Seattle still has some catching up to do?

Quote Originally Posted by xavierj View Post
    I think they shot high and just missed. The Louisville stuff came out after all of that but other coaches may have had an idea it was coming and used that against X.
    Which is why we should be concerned. About Mack, and every coach before and after. Nothing is holding us back from a FF but recruiting. Mack can coach. He'll leave sooner or later if he can't land the players he wants.
    It's a still great day to be a Muskie, but a sad day to be a supporting member of this board.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardinalsforlife View Post
    UofL fan here although I've liked Xavier since the Brian Grant days. Anyways, I've been reading your board and I must say you guys/gals really have a good grasp on things. I have no idea what Chris Mack is going to do and I don't know if UofL will be the only school looking at Mack. He's a good coach. Let's be honest, the way Pitino did things any punishment except maybe the Death Penalty (even that's not totally out of the question as a repeat offender). UofL was in a similar situation as Xavier in basketball for football when we were in the Big East. We had John L Smith and Bobby Petrino use UofL as stepping stone(Smith to Mich State and Petrino to Falcons). We were fairly lucky that we moved to the ACC for football in particular. If not our football would probably be in that 30-40 job range like somebody mentioned earlier in the thread about X basketball. I think Mack being an alum is a big positive for you. You'll likely get a hometown discount but at some point a lot more money becomes hard to pass up. Ultimately, I think you may be a little at the mercy of the other Big East teams. I think the more depth in the BE the more credibility the overall schedule becomes respected. Not meant in any menacing ways... I know that Creighton, Seton Hall, Butler, etc... are good teams but they're not household names yet. Xavier/ Cincy and Xavier/Nova move scales and some other non-conference opponents (UNC, Duke, UK, UCLA, maybe UofL and a few others) are marquee. Getting Georgetown, Depaul, and St' John's where they can be would help Xavier too. With the talent in Chicago it amazes me that DePaul isn't at least a top 50 school with an occasional Sweet 16 caliber team. Also, Xavier was a 1 seed this year and I think UofL has only been a 1 seed twice. Anyways, I hope I didn't come off as a troll. I liked the rational discussion going on here. Good luck going forward.

Welcome, and very solid analysis. I hope Mack stays, but cant blame him for taking the UL job if the salary is double (or close to double) that X offers. He's proven he can win here (other than V) and he can recruit here. I totally agree with you on the top half of the BE/ACC. Today should be interesting....

Quote Originally Posted by KabeX View Post
    First of all I hope all goes well with your surgery. And I absolutely think Travis is ready. I think he's as ready (or more) to take over than Mack was. I remember vividly the presser when Sean announced his decision and someone asked him do you think Chris is ready - Sean said "Oh yeah, he's more than ready". I know that's some coach speak in supporting your staff while you're driving your brand new Lexus to the bank but something about that - maybe the way he said it -caused me think think this might actually work out pretty well. Of course I couldn't foresee the Big East etc... but it did indeed work out pretty well. So count me in the "Oh yeah, Travis is more than ready" camp.
    Yeah but we have NO IDEA if the guy can coach. Recruit...yeah.

CMack absolutely is enabled to do what he wants, but between “Strippers” , allegedly paying players as recruits, enabling morally bankrupt coaches like Pitino and Petrino along with various and asundry other flotsam & jetsam, U of L (& I’m from Louisville and my mother went to U of L) has been evil and has displayed a pattern of horrible misbehavior. Chris can do what he wants, but that school’s reputation is in the sewer. No one should pretend it isn’t....other than ESPN honks.
    The stink is there, will attach itself to anyone who goes there, and won’t dissipate for a long time.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

I’d be very happy if he stays, it I wouldn’t blame him for leaving. Only he can decide what is most important for him and his family. He would make enough money by going to UL to set his family up for generations...but is that what he wants? He already makes enough to live in a lifestyle he probsbly didn’t dream of when he was growing up. How many of us grew up thinking we would make 1-2 million dollars per year? He already does that and still has the privacy in his life to hang out at his favorite watering hole and not get hassled. Pretty good situation from my point of view. But it is not necessarily about the amount of money he makes. Everyone has an ego. Does Mack NEED to be the coach at a school at the level of UL? Does he NEED to go head to head with coaches like he will face in the ACC on a nightly basis? Some people need that kind of challenge and/or the respect from others that comes with it. Only Mack knows where he stands and I suspect that even he is not sure all of the time. I wish him nothing but the best no matter what he decides.....even if Louisville Sucks. :)

If Hurley with no NCAA wins in his entire career, is worth $3mil+ to UConn, how much is Mack worth?
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.