Page 42 of 123 FirstFirst ... 3240414243445292 ... LastLast
    Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    So you know what other candidates are available to them? If you don't, that is an ignorant statement.
    Unless they can lure a college guy back from the NBA or steal someone that no one has talked about as a realistic chance they dont have a better candidate. Maybe they can get one of those but I doubt it. If its not Mack it is likely it is because he said no. If that isnt the case we will all know because who they hire will be an absolute homerun.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Quote Originally Posted by LadyMuskie View Post
    I always wonder why no one asks. . .if Louisville is the 5th best program in the country, bar none, why did Pitino have to resort to all that he did in order to attract recruits to the 5th best program in the country? Why chance tarnishing your legacy if your program is held in such esteem that recruits can't wait to play there? Is it just the current culture? Or, is it that Pitino is just the world's biggest scum bag? Or, is it something else altogether ? I honestly don't know, but it's worth thinking about.
    Exactly.

It IS NOT the 5th best program in the country.

Some of you guys had better begin to come to grips with the fact that UL has seriously wrecked its brand for a while. Hookers? That's nuts. And that's on top of the other crap that is surrounding that program.

And I posted elsewhere an article from their local paper that UL isn't swimming in FREE CASH FLOW.

School: Louisville
    Conference: ACC
    Revenue: $112,146,504
    Expense: $109,393,330
    Allocation: $7,403,094
    Percent: 6.60%

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

The allocation figure appears to be amounts that the athletics department transferred back to the school and - under a 2016 change in the NCAA's reporting system - is recorded as a revenue loss. This transfer amount cannot exceed the sum of money the department received from student fees and the school. Keep in mind the other article noted complaints from the academic side of the house, concerning budget cuts and layoffs.

Now, with all that noted, some of this stuff strikes me like government budgeting and spending: spend what you have budgeted, or you'll lose it in the following year. Nonetheless, while I'm sure UL can pay more at the end of the day, it isn't going to be coming out of petty cash. Things are a little tight there overall, and they're bound to be getting a lot worse pretty soon.
    X A V I E R

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xudash View Post
    Exactly.

It IS NOT the 5th best program in the country.

Some of you guys had better begin to come to grips with the fact that UL has seriously wrecked its brand for a while. Hookers? That's nuts. And that's on top of the other crap that is surrounding that program.

And I posted elsewhere an article from their local paper that UL isn't swimming in FREE CASH FLOW.

School: Louisville
    Conference: ACC
    Revenue: $112,146,504
    Expense: $109,393,330
    Allocation: $7,403,094
    Percent: 6.60%

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

The allocation figure appears to be amounts that the athletics department transferred back to the school and - under a 2016 change in the NCAA's reporting system - is recorded as a revenue loss. This transfer amount cannot exceed the sum of money the department received from student fees and the school. Keep in mind the other article noted complaints from the academic side of the house, concerning budget cuts and layoffs.

Now, with all that noted, some of this stuff strikes me like government budgeting and spending: spend what you have budgeted, or you'll lose it in the following year. Nonetheless, while I'm sure UL can pay more at the end of the day, it isn't going to be coming out of petty cash. Things are a little tight there overall, and they're bound to be getting a lot worse pretty soon.
    They are next tier after the big four. If they aren't fifth, than who Is? Regardless, they land somewhere between 5-10.

Wrecked its brand? Really? That's delusional world...yeah on the court they may have 2-3 lean years like any other school would after getting caught.

However, I think unc is doing ok after decades of academic cheating. I think the usc brand is doing just fine after the Reggie Bush debacle.
    Last edited by Xville; 03-22-2018 at 11:28 AM.

UCLA and UK are historically the best programs in college basketball. And they have histories of cheating like no one's business.

Kentucky, Kansas, Duke, North Carolina

UCLA

Louisville, Indiana

All-Conference
    Mack meeting with Louisville this weekend:

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...ack/449257002/

Ruh roh.
    Run the table.

Quote Originally Posted by drudy23 View Post
    Mack meeting with Louisville this weekend:

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...ack/449257002/
    Get that actual hard news out of this conversation!!!!

Thanks for the link.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Blooded-05 View Post
    As I have been saying for awhile now... Mack coached teams thrive as the underdog. There’s something about that mentality that works at a place like Xavier. It’s a small school that recruits 4-year guys that also see themselves as underdogs. They buy into the message and play with an edge. For the record, this is why I was on here saying I wanted us to get “disrespected” with a 2 seed this year.

Look at MackÂ’s tournament results:
    2010: 6 seed - Sweet 16
    2011: 6 seed - Round of 64
    2012: 10 seed - Sweet 16
    2013: N/A
    2014: 12 seed - Play in game
    2015: 6 seed - Sweet 16
    2016: 2 seed - Round of 32
    2017: 11 seed - Elite 8
    2018: 1 seed - Round of 32

3 Sweet 16s and an Elite 8 from seeds of 6, 10, 6 and 11. We lost our identity in 2016 & 2018 when we went from hunter to hunted. The results speak for themselves.

If Mack leaves, itÂ’ll be interesting to see how the underdog mentality works at Louisville with one & done recruits.

I have posted a somewhat similar thought on a different thread.

If history is any indication of what seed X teams would thrive, an X team would need to be disrespected enough to at least drop to a 3 seed or lower. I don't think it is exclusively Mack teams that have done well as the underdog... Matta's elite 8 team was a 7 seed.

Both the 1 and 2 seeded X teams gave away games to teams that were clearly inferior. They were good enough to beat the teams they played by double figures and when they had the chance to step up and put the game away... they didn't.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    UCLA and UK are historically the best programs in college basketball. And they have histories of cheating like no one's business.

Kentucky, Kansas, Duke, North Carolina

UCLA

Louisville, Indiana
    Louisville has not won a title since 1986. UCONN, MSU and Ohio State have surpassed Lousiville in most people's eyes. Arizona might be higher as well.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by _LH View Post
    Louisville has not won a title since 1986. UCONN, MSU and Ohio State have surpassed Lousiville in most people's eyes. Arizona might be higher as well.
    Regardless of what the stupid ncaa says, they won 5 years ago and have been to multiple final fours. Get real.