Page 1 of 123 1231151101 ... LastLast

Chris Mack discussion

Two things
    1) does Chris Mack have the potential to take us to a final four?
    2) does he end up at Louisville?

On one hand, it’s hard to not look at this year and 2016 and conclude “There is a ceiling on this program.”

On the other hand, he can look at his buddy Sean out in Arizona as proof that life isn’t always glamourous with the extreme pressure to win at a major program with national title / final four expectations every season, even with the additional recruiting advantages offered. And that’s before considering the microscope UL will be under for the foreseeable future.

Sophomore
    Yes.
    Maybe. If he does, he will leave better than his predecessors.

Junior
    1) No question. He is one of the best Xs and Os coach in the country.

2) No clue. Wouldn’t be surprised either way

Junior
    One thing is for sure, we'll definitely know sometime this off season if Coach Mack is our version of Mark Few or Greg Marshall.
    zip em up

Supporting Member
    I’d be pretty surprised if he does not leave.

I’m not sure if he can take us to the final four. That’s hard to know

One note on Louisville. I certainly hope Mack stays, but one thing is pretty unique about Louisville among higher profile jobs: they've essentially had three coaches since WWII. It's "essentially" because John Dromo got sick after a few years and had to quit, leaving Howard Stacy as interim coach for most of one season. And there was this David Padgett year. But you can basically get back to WW II with just Peck Hickman, Denny Crum and Rick Pitino as the three head coaches. There are not a lot of programs that you can say that about.

Clearly, the school is not the model of stability right now, but over time there's really not been a more stable high-profile program than Louisville. That may be attractive to Mack.

Hopefully becoming a legend at his alma mater in his hometown is MORE attractive.

1- yes,
    2- He's not leaving
    Coaches don't make Xavier, Xavier makes coaches.

Quote Originally Posted by throwbackmuskie View Post
    He's not leaving
    Certainly hope that's right. And I also hope the discussion/decision happens quickly. Louisville hanging around in the NIT will probably slow some of that down, because they're not going to announce a new coach until their season ends.

I used to think that he was likely to leave for Louisville after this season. Now, I don't think Mack leaves for Louisville, or anywhere else this off-season.

1.) Louisville is on probation, and the total extent of their own involvement in the ongoing FBI probe is likely unknown to anyone outside of their own program.

2.) Schools don't know what they don't know about Mack, either. For better or worse, fair or not, Mack isn't viewed as clean as he was before the news about Sumner's "loan" came out. And while my feeling is that Xavier won't be among the schools more seriously implicated (I have a source or two), I don't know if he'll be given the presumption of "clean" quite yet.

And if someone's take away from this season is that "Xavier has a certain ceiling" because they lost by 5 points last night as a 5-point favorite, I think that person is probably poor at analytical thinking, quite honestly.