Page 29 of 123 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979 ... LastLast
    Yeah I don’t think Mack staying would be that big of a surprise or newsworthy. Also not sure why he should get a pay raise for losing. I hope he stays but it’s not going to cripple the program if he does leave.
    If I was going to school for school, I wouldn’t have picked the University of Cincinnati. Dontonio Wingfield

Quote Originally Posted by AviatorX View Post
    Why would we want Nova's unnamed top assistant instead of our own homegrown guy? Get that outta here.

If X hires someone with no HC experience, it better be Travis.
    Let’s be real, though — Travis has familiarity in the system, but he’s far from a sure thing and has some question marks. A program like Xavier can and should consider all options internal and external before coming to a conclusion.

Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by otrmuskie View Post
    yeah i don’t think mack staying would be that big of a surprise or newsworthy. Also not sure why he should get a pay raise for [strike]losing[/strike] winning the big east. I hope he stays but it’s not going to cripple the program if he does leave.
    ftfy

Quote Originally Posted by OTRMUSKIE View Post
    Yeah I don’t think Mack staying would be that big of a surprise or newsworthy. Also not sure why he should get a pay raise for losing. I hope he stays but it’s not going to cripple the program if he does leave.
    Because normally bosses of companies don't base your pay off the the fleeting moments of failure but instead your overall contribution to a company. And let's be clear here, Mack has been paid a lot of money from XU, but he has also been an incredible investment considering the increased exposure and revenue he has helped to provide for the school.
    Orioles Baseball, Ravens Football and Xavier Basketball.........Doesn't get much better than that.

How quick people forget he just won the Big East outright. Come on people, I want to keep our Mark Few.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SemajParlor View Post
    Yeah if we survive this, have to imagine we've found our Mark Few.
    This, to me, is what this is different than Miller. It would be huge if he turns down Louisville. If that happens, we've got our coach. I realize Louisville is a huge job, so it may be different, but man, if Xavier can't retain a former player who grew up in the city, will we ever be able to avoid these coaching searches?

All-Conference
    ESPN has been reporting Mack is the frontrunner. That should put us all at ease.

Yeah I don’t want to keep our mark few. F@&$ mark few. I want to keep a coach that is going to put NC banners in the rafters. Last time I checkd Mr. FEW HAS ZERO!. If they think Mack is that guy then pay the man otherwise let’s move on and do it quick. I’m so sick of this crap every year.
    If I was going to school for school, I wouldn’t have picked the University of Cincinnati. Dontonio Wingfield

Quote Originally Posted by ArizonaXUGrad View Post
    How quick people forget he just won the Big East outright. Come on people, I want to keep our Mark Few.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    FWIW — Steele is probably a closer comp to Few than Mack.

Few isn’t a Gonzaga alum and, like Steele (if he were X’s HC) is one of the small minority of major program college coaches that didn’t ever play college basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Backyard Champ View Post
    This, to me, is what this is different than Miller. It would be huge if he turns down Louisville. If that happens, we've got our coach. I realize Louisville is a huge job, so it may be different, but man, if Xavier can't retain a former player who grew up in the city, will we ever be able to avoid these coaching searches?
    Bingo. We'll be viewed as a stepping stone for a while if we can't retain a hometown alum as our head coach, and I think that wouldn't particularly help things out, however at the end of the day Xavier has to be an attractive job to most people. We run a pretty clean program (sans the Sumner loan, yet we don't even know what's going on with that yet), our players are great guys on and off the court, we have a culture of winning, and a great arena in Cintas. Basketball is king here, and you don't even have to compete with football, I'm sure a lot of guys would love to be here. I'd love for us to retain Mack, for branding and longevity, but I think if we didn't go the Steele route, we'd make a pretty successful hire with a good name. I just need this all to be over soon so we can start prepping for next year.