Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    SLU GRAD, XAVIER SUPERFAN D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IM4X View Post
    That's certainly a fair way to look at it. The way I see it though is that of the four 1, 2 and 3 seeded X teams, only one team (the one coached by Matta) made it past the second round. That's really underachieving, and it suggests how unprepared, unfocused or unable to tap into a sense of urgency 3 of those 4 top 3 seed teams were. If we were to exclude the tournament appearances from the 80s and 90s (when it was harder for X to recruit at the same level as most other teams in the tournament), it would show how much better the lower seeds did versus the higher seeds over the past 18 years or so.

People are making valid points in response to my originial post about lower seeds versus higher seeds. I am just saying that I am making a more specific observation about how ready to play it seems many of our lower seeded X teams (who had to fight to get in the tournament) have been -not so much about about the likelihood of a high or lower seeded team in general to advance further in the tournament.

Clearly both our #1 and #2 seeded teams were underachievers. While we can point to a number of reasons for their early exits (e.g. bad officiating, off days from certain key players, wet floors), it's hard to deny that those two teams looked less focused and determined to finish a team off as some of the lower seeds which advanced further. And to that point, I'd much rather see a lower seeded X team in the tournament playing with a killer instinct for 40 minutes than see a higher seeded one give away a game to a team they are superior to.
    You also can't forget pure luck. As a 1,2,3 seed you are guaranteed to play a pretty solid team in the second round. 1 seed plays 8 or 9, 2 plays 7 or 10, and 3 seed plays 6 or 11. Those are all usually at large teams from a power conference. When you are a lower seed like a 10 seed in 2012 or a 6 seed in 2015 you have the chance to play 15 seed Lehigh and 14 seed Georgia State in the second round. That luck greatly increases the chance of making it to the second round.
    "I知 willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I知 going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I知 going to play harder than I致e ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Well, when you're a 1, 2, and 3 seed you're almost guaranteed to get to the second round. Even if you're second round opponent may be tougher, it's better to be in the second round than lose in the first!

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    Well, when you're a 1, 2, and 3 seed you're almost guaranteed to get to the second round. Even if you're second round opponent may be tougher, it's better to be in the second round than lose in the first!
    No I agree completely, I am just saying we have had some good luck happen to us in second rounds as a lower seed to help us along and help this narritive some people have that its better to be the lower hungry seed.

Give me the top 3 seed everyday.
    "I知 willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I知 going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I知 going to play harder than I致e ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    You also can't forget pure luck. As a 1,2,3 seed you are guaranteed to play a pretty solid team in the second round. 1 seed plays 8 or 9, 2 plays 7 or 10, and 3 seed plays 6 or 11. Those are all usually at large teams from a power conference. When you are a lower seed like a 10 seed in 2012 or a 6 seed in 2015 you have the chance to play 15 seed Lehigh and 14 seed Georgia State in the second round. That luck greatly increases the chance of making it to the second round.
    True, that was fortunate. But then to your point about luck, X had what some would considered an unlucky path to get to an Eliete 8 in 2004 and 2017. Both had multiple opponents seeded higher that were considered to be very tough to get past... yet those lower seeded X teams were determined to prove something....give it their all and win.

Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    No I agree completely, I am just saying we have had some good luck happen to us in second rounds as a lower seed to help us along and help this narritive some people have that its better to be the lower hungry seed.

Give me the top 3 seed everyday.
    Hmm... Did you mean to say "Top 3 seeds" or did you actually mean "top 3 seed?" (i.e. You don't want the 1 or 2 seed).

Freshman
    The higher the seed, the better off you are. With the loan exception of the 8/9 match. Avoid that one like the plague. I'd rather be 10 or 11, or even 12 than 8 or 9.

Quote Originally Posted by IM4X View Post
    Hmm... Did you mean to say "Top 3 seeds" or did you actually mean "top 3 seed?" (i.e. You don't want the 1 or 2 seed).
    Top 3 seeds*

Quote Originally Posted by dethwing View Post
    The higher the seed, the better off you are. With the loan exception of the 8/9 match. Avoid that one like the plague. I'd rather be 10 or 11, or even 12 than 8 or 9.
    Unless we get to play ourselves as the 1 seed. Then 8/9 X will def beat 1 seed X.