Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Junior
    If not now, when?!

Maybe next year.
    Maybe the year after that.
    Maybe twenty years from now.
    Maybe never.

One thing I know for sure, I’m going to enjoy following the Xavier men’s basketball team through it all. Why? Because it’s fun and is a nice escape from the banalities of routine life.
    zip em up

Quote Originally Posted by BandAid View Post
    If not now, when?!

Maybe next year.
    Maybe never.

One thing I know for sure, I’m going to enjoy following the Xavier men’s basketball team through it all. Why? Because it’s fun and is a nice escape from the banalities of routine life.
    Dilly Dilly!!!

Did I do that right? I think I may be out of reps....

Quote Originally Posted by BandAid View Post
    If not now, when?!

Maybe next year.
    Maybe never.

Very true. But, when you're building a brand and you're running a business - which, never forget, is what Xavier is doing - fun and escapism is only going to get you so far unless you're an amusement park and even then you have to keep getting bigger and better to compete. The big bucks are coming in because the deep pockets have been sold on the idea that their money, the big money, is going to build something fantastic and historical. Cintas wasn't built on fun. Mack's endowment wasn't put in place because of fun. We got into the Big East not because we're fun guys, but because of our potential, our dedication to growing the program, and our trajectory. People are paying to see elite basketball with elite results.
    Xavier Basketball: We're Not Scared of Anyone!
    Zip Em Up!

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyMuskie View Post
    It really boils down to this . . . don't tell others how to be a fan - especially upon the death of season that could've had a special ending. We lost. It sucks. Our best player looked like a space cadet for the second time in two weeks, and our second best player was getting screwed up one side and down the other by the three guys the NCAA calls referees. I'm sure the team is hurting. Honestly, I hope they are because for the young guys it means they can use the failure to learn since it is the best teacher. But this? Again? We heard all of this after Providence and here we are again. It felt like How to Lose a Game in One Half The Sequel: Enter the Referees.

Fans are told to chip in with their wallets. They're told to come to games and cheer loud because they make a difference. They're told to buy tickets to away games because it matters to the conference. They're told to watch on tv because it matters to the conference. You can play without fans, yes. You can even play without passionate fans. The Reds do it year after year. But, that support, especially monetarily, is important. Cintas isn't notoriously tough to play in because of the announcer or because the pretzels are stale. It's because of the fans, and one way or the other Chris Mack, the guys on the team, the University, they need us as much as we need them to enjoy college basketball.

No one is done with the team. No one is saying that guys should be put in front of a firing squad when they return. No one is burning shirts. No one is saying that tomorrow is not another day, and that in the grand scheme of things this doesn't really matter. We know. But, let us have tonight. Let us mourn what could've been. Frankly, I think we're a pretty fantastic fan base for a school of our size, and I think we've earned the right to go through our seven stages and come out on the other side in October ready to cheer them on again.
    This is an excellent post. Thank you for it.

Sophomore
    We've had two pretty major chokes in three years. It's starting to become a trend. When's the last time we actually played like we deserved a high seed? 2008 as a 3?

Quote Originally Posted by markchal View Post
    We've had two pretty major chokes in three years. It's starting to become a trend. When's the last time we actually played like we deserved a high seed? 2008 as a 3?
    Yeah and unfortunately that team ran into Russel Westbrook, Kevin Love, and about 3 or 4 other NBA players on that UCLA team.

That '08 Xavier team was so tough though.

I wonder if Virginia has this angst?
    Their one FF was back before the tourney expanded to its current size.
    In this century, 1 E8 (Xavier has 3)
    In this century, 1 other S16 (Xavier has 4)
    Ranked #1 in the country
    Seeded #1 in the country
    Lost to a 16 in the first game.

This doesn't lessen my disappointment at all. It does provide some perspective.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Walk-On
    Quote Originally Posted by Caveat View Post
    They looked like lost kids in an airport when they had to play without Tre & JP tonight.

I don’t see it. At all.
    They haven't played many minutes with Tre, JP, and Kanter all off the floor. The entire offense ran through these guys, especially the last few weeks of the season. I'm not surprised at all that the offense stalled when it was just the young guys and Gates. Goodin, Scruggs, and Marshall all showed flashes of brilliance this year, but that was with the stars on the court at the same time creating shots and drawing the attention of the defense.

Next year X will have 5 players back with a ton of playing experience We've seen that they can be successful when the opportunities arise. I'm confident they will develop enough chemistry in the post-Bluiett/JP/Kanter era to be a very competitive team before the season starts. Not a top seed, but a team that can win on any given night against anyone (except flipping Nova).

Last note...I don't think we are giving enough attention to Naji being hurt. He's the most athletic player on the team and that was FSU's only true advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    I wonder if Virginia has this angst?
    Their one FF was back before the tourney expanded to its current size.
    In this century, 1 E8 (Xavier has 3)
    In this century, 1 other S16 (Xavier has 4)
    Ranked #1 in the country
    Seeded #1 in the country
    Lost to a 16 in the first game.

This doesn't lessen my disappointment at all. It does provide some perspective.
    We're probably about to watch Gonzaga make their 2nd consecutive Final Four...there's some perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    We're probably about to watch Gonzaga make their 2nd consecutive Final Four...there's some perspective.
    And we're probably where Gonzaga was in 2013 when they lost to Wichita State in the second round as a #1 seed. They were back to the Elite Eight as a #2 seed two years later, and two years after that they were killing us in the Regional Final. It's going to happen.