Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

If not now, when?

Big East season champs.

Top-10 team majority of the year.

#1 seed in the tournament.

Three senior starters.

If not now, when?

Supporting Member
    Excellent question. Had this discussion earlier tonight, the harsh reality for Xavier fans is that the answer might be never. It is a major hill to climb, this was probably our best shot ever. Didn’t happen I guess you keep plugging away as a program and hope to get there. I don’t think it is for lack of trying or support by the university but obviously it not as easy as we fans would like it to be. Go X.

Quote Originally Posted by XUBob View Post
    Excellent question. Had this discussion earlier tonight, the harsh reality for Xavier fans is that the answer might be never. It is a major hill to climb, this was probably our best shot ever. Didn’t happen I guess you keep plugging away as a program and hope to get there. I don’t think it is for lack of trying or support by the university but obviously it not as easy as we fans would like it to be. Go X.
    Sadly...I completely agree with this.

As great as rooting for X is, it's hard to imagine X will ever be able to take that next step where this kind of run-potential is an annual thing. It really takes a perfect storm.

We obviously reload instead of rebuild these days...but the programs a step above reload at a different level. Even IU, who has sucked the better part of a decade, has a chance to load up for a run if they sign Romeo Langford in the next few weeks. X just doesn't do that.

Quote Originally Posted by XUBob View Post
    Didn’t we say this two years ago? Heck it wasn’t that long ago we missed the tourney and then played in the PIG. It probably will happen when you least expect it. But man this team had it. If JP doesn’t foul out, no way they lose.

Quote Originally Posted by xavierj View Post
    Didn’t we say this two years ago? Heck it wasn’t that long ago we missed the tourney and then played in the PIG. It probably will happen when you least expect it. But man this team had it. If JP doesn’t foul out, no way they lose.
    The point above is dead-on — even now we don’t recruit the kind of studs you need to really “reload.”

If it’s ever going to happen, it’s going to take a few guys developing and “coming of age” as upperclassmen all at once like this year was. And they choked.

The next opportunity like this might be ages away.

I don’t want this thinking in the foxhole with me. Damn!

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat View Post
    The point above is dead-on — even now we don’t recruit the kind of studs you need to really “reload.”

If it’s ever going to happen, it’s going to take a few guys developing and “coming of age” as upperclassmen all at once like this year was. And they choked.

The next opportunity like this might be ages away.
    Another aspect of the perfect storm is college basketball likely needs to be "down." I mean look at this year...Xavier builds their best team ever over the course of 4 years and Marvin Bagley decides he wants to play for Duke two weeks before the season starts and boom.

Things can change so fast and if you happen to build your incredible 4 year squad in a year where there's an insane pool of one and done talent...good luck. Look at the team Bo Ryan built and (although they nearly did it) they had to go through literally half of the NBA lottery over the Elite 8-Championship Game span.

The reality is its virtually impossible to climb that mountain without 5 star talent. If X put a team like this together over 4 years and a guy like Kris Wilkes was in the rotation, maybe we're having a different conversation tonight.
    Last edited by AviatorX; 03-18-2018 at 11:47 PM.

Fact is elite teams don’t lose like this. It sucks but until X learns to put the hammer down we just won’t be a consistent top program.

To the naysayers, the future is bright. Scruggs and Marshall are studs. They are Macura and Bluiett, you just don’t see it yet. You need theses two but you group good role players around them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keep the faith.
    Nothing is impossible.
    Hang in there.
    Believe in miracles.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day.
    Where there's a will, there's a way.
    Every dog has his day.

Pick a positive saying and go with it.
    Xavier Basketball: We're Not Scared of Anyone!
    Zip Em Up!

Quote Originally Posted by ArizonaXUGrad View Post
    Fact is elite teams don’t lose like this. It sucks but until X learns to put the hammer down we just won’t be a consistent top program.

To the naysayers, the future is bright. Scruggs and Marshall are studs. They are Macura and Bluiett, you just don’t see it yet. You need theses two but you group good role players around them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    They looked like lost kids in an airport when they had to play without Tre & JP tonight.

I don’t see it. At all.