Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Quote Originally Posted by sirthought View Post
    Come on...you're saying that compared to their regular season dominance, this one game shows they would have struggled to advance in any case? I agree that any team can lose on any given day, but this team certainly had a formula for winning against some great programs this year. That's not showing it was "safe to say they would not have gotten much further."
    All im really saying is that when you have only one style of play then in this tournament you will face your kryptonite at some point. The teams that advance and go far are the teams that can play multiple styles and adjust. Virginia just can't do that with how they play

South has been blown up

#1 Virginia GONE
    #3 Tennessee GONE
    #4 Arizona GONE

Now just need Nevada to beat Cincinnati
    2014 RTS National Champion $200,000 (2460 teams) 2015 RTS 2nd Place $25,000 (3120 teams)
    2012 NFFC National Champion $100,000 (1872 teams) 2015/2018 NCAA Bracketology 351/362 pts

Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    This gives Kentucky a free ride to the Elite 8, until they run into the Loyola Ramblers!!
    I hope your a profit and we see Kentucky vs Loyola for the Final 4.
    2014 RTS National Champion $200,000 (2460 teams) 2015 RTS 2nd Place $25,000 (3120 teams)
    2012 NFFC National Champion $100,000 (1872 teams) 2015/2018 NCAA Bracketology 351/362 pts

Quote Originally Posted by Xuperman View Post
    Yes, stunning upset!! The NCAA Tourney is the most exciting sporting event going but it is a "one and done" format with too many teams. That said, it is flawed and open to crowning a "National Champion" that is not the BEST TEAM in the country. UK or UC will make the F4. And if they should win it all, would anyone, other than their fan base, recognize either as the best team nationally? Of course not, they would simply be winners of a tournament.
    It make up for the times Kentucky was #1 overall seed and didn't win it or the time Kentucky went 38-0 and didn't win it to win it in a year like this when Kentucky was no where near the best team.

Would prefer a Kentucky vs Xavier National Championship game but hopefully both teams make the Final 4 somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by xu82 View Post
    I met a nice guy and his (very nice but very drunk) wife who was watching it intently.
    That was Greg Marshall and his wife.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Quote Originally Posted by XUBison View Post
    It is your thinking that is flawed, because your premise is all wrong. It has never been about who’s the best, it is about who wins. That’s what competition is and why it is so great. It doesn’t matter who you THINK is the best, period. Sixty-eight programs of all types and sizes compete with each other, and the win or go home format means they all have a real chance to win and advance
    My thinking is crystal clear and my premise is spot on.....ALWAYS FOLLOW THE MONEY! The NCAA tourney has become a made for TV fund raiser and simply an over blown beauty pageant. HOWEVER, the format gets it right more times than not, and I DO LOVE IT!!
    Last edited by Xuperman; 03-17-2018 at 09:22 PM.
    President of the Eddie Johnson Fan Club

Freshman
    A little late to this thread but was too drunk to find pants last night much less type. But this whole thing with UMBC is more than incredible and being a Binghamton alum I follow the AEast as well as X/Big East!!! UMBC were picked to finish 3rd in the conference, finished 8th in the conference in rebounding and their OOC conference wins were pitiful. Outside of N. Kentucky the best win was maybe Nichols St? Vermont has basically been steamrolling everyone else in the conference the past few years and just UMBC winning in Burlington was a massive upset albeit on a Lyles three at the buzzer if that surprises anyone. They had a really quiet year in conference and personally I didnt think they'd win a conference tourney game so my mind is totally blown because if there's one team that historically probably shouldn't have blown out a #1 overall seed it's UMBC. Although I say that and have to admit Lyles has been really good and received zero recognition for it in the conference awards and such.

Since I get to post about the AEast here and am feeling sentimental, if anyone is bored and wants a good read check out the Binghamton basketball scandal. Still havent really recovered from that whole mess in 2006 but at the same time I'm surprised we werent kicked out of D1. That team was the only time the program made the dance and had everything. Players fleeing the country, black mailing the school, UNC style fake classes, robbing Walmart of rubbers, etc.......

Retrievers?

Shouldn't UMBC's nickname be the Cords?
    Warmly,
    "Mel"

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuperman View Post
    My thinking is crystal clear and my premise is spot on.....ALWAYS FOLLOW THE MONEY! The NCAA tourney has become a made for TV fund raiser and simply an over blown beauty pageant. HOWEVER, the format gets it right more times than not, and I DO LOVE IT!!
    I’m sorry, but no. Your assertion was that the tourney is flawed because it doesn’t always crown the best team, and this premise is wrong. The NCAA has never claimed that its trying to crown the best team, it simply crowns the winner. Given this, it cannot be flawed by failing to accomplish something it isn’t designed to accomplish, i.e. crowning the best team. It is a simple fact that you’re premise is wrong, not my opinion. Can you follow that? The remainder of your assertions are rendered meaningless since they are built off your false premise. Correct your premise, then you can see if your critique holds water. Otherwise you’re only spouting off with drivel.

Quote Originally Posted by HenryMuto View Post
    South has been blown up

#1 Virginia GONE
    #3 Tennessee GONE
    #4 Arizona GONE

Now just need Nevada to beat Cincinnati
    Ask and ye shall receive.

And to stick with the OP - history is made when Nevada achieves the biggest second half comeback in NCAA tournament history!
    I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I drink 2XS.