Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by GIMMFD View Post
    I'd think Hurley would choose UConn over Pitt, I think UConn is in a better place than Pitt is even if it's in the AAC, just from a pure basketball standpoint. Though if you can turn Pitt around in the next few years, you can basically guarantee a job anywhere in the country that you want after that.
    Assuming $$$ are equivalent, UConn will expect high achievements fairly immediately (if NCAA allows) while Pitt would likely be more tolerant and lenient; the worst career move for Hurley would be take a job and fail (see Herb Sendek for example). UConn wants/expects Sweet 16s but Pitt would be happy making the field half the time.
    I have seen only two great plays: Hamlet and put the ball into the basket

Quote Originally Posted by joe titan View Post
    Assuming $$$ are equivalent, UConn will expect high achievements fairly immediately (if NCAA allows) while Pitt would likely be more tolerant and lenient; the worst career move for Hurley would be take a job and fail (see Herb Sendek for example). UConn wants/expects Sweet 16s but Pitt would be happy making the field half the time.
    UCONN job is lipstick on a pig. You can't recruit into that conference they way they did in the Big East. Just not possible. Add to that.....they are located in a horrible spot in the middle of nowhere.......

Recruiting hasn't really been a problem for UConn. It's still easier to recruit UConn than Pitt.

Coaching has been....a challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by GIMMFD View Post
    I'd think Hurley would choose UConn over Pitt, I think UConn is in a better place than Pitt is even if it's in the AAC, just from a pure basketball standpoint. Though if you can turn Pitt around in the next few years, you can basically guarantee a job anywhere in the country that you want after that.
    Hurley is not going to Pitt over UCon (spelling intentional). Proximity of recruiting for one. Much shorter move from R.I. Plus he can win in a trash AAAAAAAAAC. ACC is a mine field
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Quote Originally Posted by joe titan View Post
    I think the opposite is true of Pitt. Note how Jamie Dixon got his team into the NCAAs more often than not, but they rarely went far. Pitt didn't really value that and they didn't put up a fight when TCU came calling. In fact they made it easy for him to leave. Then they let Stallings go after only two seasons. That's not too patient after letting go a guy who was by all accounts competitive in tough leagues.

Both jobs will suck for different reasons. His current job is likely a good one, because he can recruit the right players to develop in the A10 and enjoy some success for years. But the rumors are that he sees value in UCONN and it'll be more money. They are going to get hit with something...whatever Kevin Ollie did that might add some pain.

Hurley to UConn confirmed.

Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Braun View Post
    Hurley to UConn confirmed.
    Because he really wanted Xavier but he had a private conversation with Chris Mack who told him he was staying at X? YES!!!!

Kidding, of course.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    Now reports are that David Cox was previously named head coach-in-waiting for URI in the event that Dan Hurley left. This would mean a buyout for Cox if URI goes in another direction.

LaSalle looking for new coach; may seem like a grave yard job but somebody will step into a good gig.
    I have seen only two great plays: Hamlet and put the ball into the basket

Mark Schmidt interviewed for the Pitt job.....