Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BMoreX View Post
    FWIW, there’s no such thing as basketball only according to NCAA.

Gonzaga would have to join the Big East in all sports.
    Navy plays football in the American but not other sports. Notre Dame is not in a football conference but plays all other sports in the ACC.

No way they join the Big East..........just doesn't make logistical sense. They're likely using the BE to leverage the MWC.

Quote Originally Posted by xavierj View Post
    Navy plays football in the American but not other sports. Notre Dame is not in a football conference but plays all other sports in the ACC.
    Because football is a caveat.

Whatever conference your basketball teams are in is your “home” conference. Basketball only doesn’t exist per NCAA bylaws.

I’ve long held the view that Gonzaga is the last remaining brand out there to be eventually gobbled up by a power conference. To get them, the BE would have to add several team to bridge the gap across the country. It’s unreasonable for the zags to make 10 cross country trips each season. St. Mary’s fits the profile, and is seemingly ready to move up too. BE would need to expand to 16 teams to get this done. 2 divisions of 8. Have to add SLU, UD, Zags, st Mary’s, and 2 others. Richmond, Seattle u (all the resources but none of the success), and maybe Detroit mercy or some similar school to get it done.

I know a lot of these teams are not ready for the move from a resource perspective, but the association with the BE would immediately change their access to resources.

All in all, a giant stretch. As much as I’d like to see Gonzaga be part of the BE, the distance just cant be bridged...
    Last edited by MHettel; 03-01-2018 at 09:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MHettel View Post
    I’ve long held the view that Gonzaga is the last remaining brand out there to be eventually gobbled up by a power conference. To get them, the BE would have to add several team to bridge the gap across the country. It’s unreasonable for the zags to make 10 cross country trips each season. St. Mary’s fits the profile, and is seemingly ready to move up too. BE would need to expand to 16 teams to get this done. 2 divisions of 8. Have to add SLU, UD, Zags, st Mary’s, and 2 others. Richmond, Seattle u (all the resources but none of the success), and maybe Detroit mercy or some similar school to get it done.

I know a lot of these teams are not ready for the move from a resource perspective, but the association with the BE would immediately change their access to resources.

All in all, a giant stretch. As much as I’d like to see Gonzaga be part of the BE, the distance just cant be bridged...
    That would be a horrible move. Add a bunch of average to below average programs to gain one good one. NFW

It's also based off an outdated idea of travel partners. You go on the road to play one team on a Thursday and then you swing over to another nearby team and play them on Saturday (or a Friday/Sunday setup, but you get the idea). It made sense then. Now, teams almost always go home between games, so there's no need for it.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

No thanks on adding more than 1 team. Why water it down? Only way Gonzaga would work is a few three game road trips. At DePaul, Butler, Xavier, Thursday, Saturday, Monday for example. Gonzaga can add value but Dayton and Saint Louis would not. Why add teams that would add recruiting battles with the other teams and why would you want to add more money sharing?

I’m not interested in Gonzaga. Why mess with a good thing right now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by MHettel View Post

Sorry, now you are talking absolute nonsense. Talk about ruining a good thing by adding lots of garbage. No, just, no.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xavierj View Post
    No thanks on adding more than 1 team. Why water it down? Only way Gonzaga would work is a few three game road trips. At DePaul, Butler, Xavier, Thursday, Saturday, Monday for example. Gonzaga can add value but Dayton and Saint Louis would not. Why add teams that would add recruiting battles with the other teams and why would you want to add more money sharing?
    How would adding Gonzaga water it down? They are a great program and have much of the same views as others in the conference. Also, it could open up a lot more recruiting to the western side of the country for other programs in the conference.