Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by xu82 View Post
    Focus on the next 4 minutes. The BE means a lot to me, but it doesn’t begin to compare to March Madness. The BE is a vehicle to get us to where we want to be. I don’t want to get sidetracked with distractions. It wouldn’t be the end of the world, but it’s not the Big Prize.

Even if I feel it could be HUGE in recruiting...the lifeblood.
    Why get ahead of yourself. You should be focusing on the very next possession.

You shouldn't even be reading this thread, you should be focusing on the opening tip.
    RIP Brian Dargin McCormick

Quote Originally Posted by GIMMFD View Post
    Another bright point in a program that's rolling. I don't think we should cut down the nets though, I think we should keep a focused attitude, and make sure we bring it against DePaul and win the whole damn thing straight up. Let's celebrate our Seniors and the success they've brought to this program from transitioning into the Big East to becoming a heavyweight, but then it's right back to work. Take care of business at Providence and DePaul, take a bit of time to enjoy the ride, and then back to business. This isn't where I want our storyline to end next season, I much rather be cutting some nets down in San Antonio instead.
    I would rather cut down the nets in The Cintas, then in Madison Square Garden, then in Omaha, then in San Antonio.

Quote Originally Posted by Emp View Post
    No. Nets are for tourney winners. It would be weirder than snuggies.

Not to mention this is like talking about a no-no in the eighth inning.
    We actually have a tradition of cutting down the nets, we just haven't been able to do so for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by X-band '01 View Post
    It's been 7 years since the program has won at least a share of a conference title. If the team wants to cut a net for checking off a goal, I'm all for it.

I also remember Xavier beating Richmond to clinch the regular season one year, but the team didn't cut the net that day because they struggled and survived in that one (and ended up doing the net cutting in their next home game).
    7 years is too long. My kids would have been 9 & 7. I took them out on to the floor.

Today I mentioned cutting down the nets and it took my kid a minute to figure out what it meant. It has been that long. He said it was Tu Holloway's team when he was down on the floor and the team was cutting down the nets. I think 87 took his kid down there too.

I love the fuddy duddy brigade that is against cutting down the nets. "ACT LIKE YOU HAVE BEEN THERE!". Bunch of old school hard asses. They don't like when teams rush the court either. Why are those young kids having fun?!?

I would love it if we won on a last second shot and then cut down the nets. Some of the brigade might blow a gasket.

7 years is way too long between conference championships. I think that is the longest drought during my entire tenure as a Xavier fan. I remember cutting down the nets when I was a student. None of our fantastic student body has been a part of such a spectacle. And our student section nowdays blows my class apart. Many of these student come here because of the basketball program. They want to be a part of it.

So none of our students or any of our players for that matter have been able to cut down the nets while at Xavier. Our fantastic, legendary and storied senior class is about to bring home our first Big East Championship. I want this. I want to win the Big East Conference Title. I want them to be Champions. And I want them to cut down the nets. I want them to cut down the nets in Cintas, New York, Omaha and San Antonio. Make the whole world our bitches.

I want photos of us cutting down the nets. I want them on ESPN. Big East Champions. If we win, I want to raise a banner in the Cintas, and I would like it to be raised and unveiled Wednesday Night. I want these young men to leave the Cintas after their last game as Champions, and I want a fitting tribute. Nova plays the late game on the road on Wednesday. Their fans will be watching on TV. During the halftime show I want Nova fans to watch some camera shots of Xavier cutting down the nets as Big East Champions. Smell the glove my friends.

This is a goal that they have worked long and hard for. Celebrating a great achievement is not limiting our season or being satisfied. It is one of many goals, but an important one.

The only thing I DO NOT want is Trevon's number retired on Senior Night. I think it was a mistake when we did it with David West, and it robbed us of having a David West night 5 years later when we put his number in the rafters. Tre's senior night will be emotional enough, don't try to make it better and don't deprive us of a second night for Tre when we bring him back to raise it into the rafters.

"I GOT CHAMPIONS IN THAT LOCKER ROOM!" ~ Stanley Burrell

CHAMPIONS!!

SMELL THE GLOVE OF THE BIG EAST CHAMPIONS

One fan's fuddled brigade still thinks Smell the Glove has cachet. It's so hip.

No possible chance of getting waaaaaay ahead of ourselves.

On rubbing it in Nova's nose: Hey! Let's rent a billboard, preferably before the BE tourney, on The Main Line, with us cutting down the nets. Oh wait, they just bitch slapped us again on our home court. Yeah, we own them.
    It's a still great day to be a Muskie, but a sad day to be a supporting member of this board.

That providence game was a fluke. Any line I see in single digits is getting a very large bet

I recall the non nett cutting game. I think we clinched on the road. Played awful yet still won at home and Sean Miller was pissed and sent them to he locker room.
    - David Bowers ('95)

One fan's fuddled brigade still thinks Smell the Glove has cachet. It's so hip.
    It never had cachet. I am a dork on a message board. That won't stop me from saying it.

SMELL THE GLOVE!

On rubbing it in Nova's nose: Hey! Let's rent a billboard, preferably before the BE tourney, on The Main Line, with us cutting down the nets. Oh wait, they just bitch slapped us again on our home court. Yeah, we own them.
    I don't like losing to Nova. That game hurt. And yes, I am petty, but I like the thought of Nova fans watching the halftime show and seeing us cut down the nets as Big East Champions. I hope they don't like it.

And then lose at DePaul, right? No sane coach does this.

Freshman
    The hell with the nets. Let's unveil the Big East Champions banner in the rafters. Let the guys see the permanent testament to their accomplishments.

Quote Originally Posted by waggy View Post
    And then lose at DePaul, right? No sane coach does this.
    Haha. Exactly.