Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    This looks like a solid contract from all perspectives: (info copied and pasted from Redleg Nation--a really nice site for your year-round Reds fix)

The Reds and Eugenio Suarez have reached a deal on a 7-year contract. The Reds already had control of Suarez (26) through the 2020 season. So this buys out three years of arbitration and four years of free agency. The club option in 2025 would be a fifth year.

Details from C. Trent Rosecrans: $2M signing bonus, $2.25M (2018) $7M (2019), $9.25M (2020), $10.5M (2021) $11M (2022) $11M (2023) $11M (2024) then a club option for $15M (2025) with a $2M buyout.

Suarez will turn 33 in July of 2024, the last guaranteed year of the contract.

In what may prove to be one of the most lopsided, favorable trades in the history of the organization, the Reds acquired Suarez from the Detroit Tigers before the 2015 season in exchange for a year of Alfredo Simon.
    Veritas vos Liberabit

looks like they didn't want to make another Encarnacion mistake......

Joey being Joey.

The Reds are sucking extra this year. Which is hard to do given normal suckitude.

Yes they are. I'm thinking Barry Larkin's taking over by the All Star break.

At least we can take delight in Votto trolling Phillies fans. I'd rather have a first place team, though - or at least one that isn't fighting the Yankees' AAA affiliate in Miami for worst team in baseball.

I am now thinking that the Reds need to fire the entire front office. What did we get in the Bruce trade? How about the Cueto trade? Frazier trade? Chapman trade?

The fact that the Reds don't even have decent middle relievers after all these trades speaks volumes.

Quote Originally Posted by XU 87 View Post
    I am now thinking that the Reds need to fire the entire front office. What did we get in the Bruce trade? How about the Cueto trade? Frazier trade? Chapman trade?

The fact that the Reds don't even have decent middle relievers after all these trades speaks volumes.
    Bruce trade - Dilson Herrera; constantly hurt
    Cueto trade - Finnegan, Reed; both are also constantly hurt
    Frazier trade - Peraza, Dixon; miscalculation on how good Peraza was/is
    Chapman trade - absolute dumpster fire

Some of these trades were fine on paper but injuries have screwed the Reds. The reliever issue is sort of related since some guys are starting who would maybe transition to the bullpen. Lorenzen is hurt and would be a very good reliever. The other, more puzzling issue is the front office signing old relievers (i.e. Gallardo) who have no business pitching for us when they should be giving innings to young guys to get experience. I would let Weiss, Rainey (obviously sucked tonight), and Herget get as many innings as possible.

Cody Reed isn't hurt. He's just terrible.

Bottom line is that Reds have gotten almost nothing from trading 4 key players. Inexcusable.

Chapman trade is GM malpractice.

Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    Bruce trade - Dilson Herrera; constantly hurt
    Cueto trade - Finnegan, Reed; both are also constantly hurt
    Frazier trade - Peraza, Dixon; miscalculation on how good Peraza was/is
    Chapman trade - absolute dumpster fire

Some of these trades were fine on paper but injuries have screwed the Reds. The reliever issue is sort of related since some guys are starting who would maybe transition to the bullpen. Lorenzen is hurt and would be a very good reliever. The other, more puzzling issue is the front office signing old relievers (i.e. Gallardo) who have no business pitching for us when they should be giving innings to young guys to get experience. I would let Weiss, Rainey (obviously sucked tonight), and Herget get as many innings as possible.
    You left out some guys:

Cueto got them Duvall
    Frazier got them Schebler

A couple guys didn't net much in subsequent trades, so they may not have been worth as much as fans would have liked:
    Bruce got traded for a 30th round pick named Ryder Ryan a year later.
    Frazier got traded with some relievers for a bunch minor leaguers and Tyler Clippard.

And few people are yearning for Alfredo Simon or Mat Latos back instead of Anthony Desclafani or Eugenio Suarez (although both current Reds fall under the injured category). Luis Castillo for Dan Straily looks good so far, so they've made some trades that have worked as well.

Chapman is really the one trade that I think they struck out on.

Quote Originally Posted by XU 87 View Post
    Cody Reed isn't hurt. He's just terrible.

Bottom line is that Reds have gotten almost nothing from trading 4 key players. Inexcusable.

Chapman trade is GM malpractice.
    He's been hurt on and off the last few years.