Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Georgetown's problem is that they don't have room on campus to build a Cintas.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Quote Originally Posted by stammina0721 View Post
    Those fans dont just disappear. However, they do get apathetic over time.
    If you love or hate a team, you are still invested and care if they win or lose. Apathy, however, is a real killer. It means you just don't care one way or another and realize there is life beyond rooting for your team. You learn to live without it, realize how much it (doesn't) matter and you really never go back. Perhaps casually, but you never really invest anything: time, emotion or (esp.) $$$$$.

I've been that way about the Bengals for some time. I used to live and die with them and it used to ruin most of the week if they lost. It was insanely stupid, looking back. I slapped myself in the face one day and realized it just doesn't matter. Now, I don't even watch most games.

If Marvin and Mikey Boy left, I might be more interested. But I will never, ever be 'all in' again...not even close.
    I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I drink 2XS.

Mac McClung's highlight videos are fun and he just broke Iverson's high school scoring record. So if he can live up to the hype and help get G'Town winning again, I could see the fans coming back.

Sophomore
    1) DC is a front runners town. When your team is winning and it is a good show, people show up. 2) "real" georgetown fans haven't gotten over the fact they don't play Syracuse, louisville, or UCONN regularly anymore. They are very apathetic to this current BE league. I had a co-worker go to the game with me and he is the voice of Mt St. Marys basketball. He was wearing a MSM shirt and people asked him if that's who Gtown was playing that night. I continue to be less and less impressed by this fan base and I grew up around it.

Quote Originally Posted by MD Muskie View Post
    2) "real" georgetown fans haven't gotten over the fact they don't play Syracuse, louisville, or UCONN regularly anymore. They are very apathetic to this current BE league.
    This is a very good point. No other fan base whined as hard about the Big East "breaking" apart as G'Town fans did. Which is why I'm enjoying their downfall.

I have gone to every Xavier road game at Georgetown except for the first season. One of my best friends is also a Georgetown alum and we had about an hour long convo on the drive home after the game.

First off, my friends and I bought tickets that were literally inside a suite for $5. The 6:30 time certainly doesn't help things but right now, Georgetown's entire fanbase is apathetic. They also lose out on the generic sports fan in DC (that have in the past attended games) because of their lackluster play in the last 5+ years.

It really comes down to a horrible set-up for their games and the fact that they have to play in the Verizon Center or whatever it is called these days. It is a 30 minute trek for students from campus to the arena's doors. Up until just several years ago, the school didn't even offer buses to send students, so they would have to find their own method of transportation (there is also no direct metro route either). At Wednesday's game, there were maybe 200 students in their student section. Maybe 200.

It boils down to the Georgetown program does not need a 20,000 seat arena save for the maybe 3 big games every year. This is especially relevant with the team playing mediocre basketball recently. Unfortunately for them, the Georgetown neighborhood will never allow construction on or near campus to build an arena that would be ideal for the program. If they had the capacity (they certainly have the money...the land/regulation approval is the hold-up), I think an arena around the size of the Cintas Center would be perfect for them.

Unfortunately for them, that is not happening any time soon. And until they turn the corner and bring back the casual DC sports fan, it will continue to be disappointing attendances.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by BMoreX View Post

It really comes down to a horrible set-up for their games and the fact that they have to play in the Verizon Center or whatever it is called these days. It is a 30 minute trek for students from campus to the arena's doors. Up until just several years ago, the school didn't even offer buses to send students, so they would have to find their own method of transportation (there is also no direct metro route either). At Wednesday's game, there were maybe 200 students in their student section. Maybe 200.
    I have never liked that lack of metro excuse. Yes they don't have one one campus and that will never happen because of the people living in Gtwon. But that excuse doesn't stop students from going to bars on 18th, or U street, or the 9:30 Club for concerts. The closest metro is not that far off from the main shopping strip of Georgetown. It's a very cheap cab/uber/lyft ride. It isn't like they are playing the games at the old Capital Center that is easily a 30 to 40 drive from campus.

Quote Originally Posted by MD Muskie View Post
    I have never liked that lack of metro excuse. Yes they don't have one one campus and that will never happen because of the people living in Gtwon. But that excuse doesn't stop students from going to bars on 18th, or U street, or the 9:30 Club for concerts. The closest metro is not that far off from the main shopping strip of Georgetown. It's a very cheap cab/uber/lyft ride. It isn't like they are playing the games at the old Capital Center that is easily a 30 to 40 drive from campus.
    I think the bigger issue is that the Georgetown Athletic Dept. or university itself hasn't really actively assisted students in getting over to Verizon Center until very recently.

Quote Originally Posted by UCGRAD4X View Post
    If you love or hate a team, you are still invested and care if they win or lose. Apathy, however, is a real killer. It means you just don't care one way or another and realize there is life beyond rooting for your team. You learn to live without it, realize how much it (doesn't) matter and you really never go back. Perhaps casually, but you never really invest anything: time, emotion or (esp.) $$$$$.

I've been that way about the Bengals for some time. I used to live and die with them and it used to ruin most of the week if they lost. It was insanely stupid, looking back. I slapped myself in the face one day and realized it just doesn't matter. Now, I don't even watch most games.

If Marvin and Mikey Boy left, I might be more interested. But I will never, ever be 'all in' again...not even close.
    Yeah I've become apathetic towards the Bengals. I played more golf on Sundays than watched NFL games and I didn't miss them

Quote Originally Posted by BMoreX View Post
    I have gone to every Xavier road game at Georgetown except for the first season. One of my best friends is also a Georgetown alum and we had about an hour long convo on the drive home after the game.

First off, my friends and I bought tickets that were literally inside a suite for $5. The 6:30 time certainly doesn't help things but right now, Georgetown's entire fanbase is apathetic. They also lose out on the generic sports fan in DC (that have in the past attended games) because of their lackluster play in the last 5+ years.

It boils down to the Georgetown program does not need a 20,000 seat arena save for the maybe 3 big games every year. This is especially relevant with the team playing mediocre basketball recently. Unfortunately for them, the Georgetown neighborhood will never allow construction on or near campus to build an arena that would be ideal for the program. If they had the capacity (they certainly have the money...the land/regulation approval is the hold-up), I think an arena around the size of the Cintas Center would be perfect for them.

Unfortunately for them, that is not happening any time soon. And until they turn the corner and bring back the casual DC sports fan, it will continue to be disappointing attendances.
    Looks like I'm going on a roadie to DC nexr year