Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Junior

Georgetown crowd

Anyone else concerned by the miniscule crowd for the game last night ? Is Georgetown no longer a hot ticket in DC ? Or is DC a frontrunner or strictly pro town ? Or, worst of all, is Xavier, even at #4, just not a draw?

Doesn’t matter who the opponent is. It seems like every GU home game I’ve watched has lots of seats pretending to be fans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Golf is a relatively simple game, played by reasonably intelligent people, stupidly.

I read lower bowl seats for a top five team could be had for $5. Seems high to me based on the crowd I witnessed. I paid almost $100 on Stubhub for nosebleeds at Cintas against Creighton.

Junior
    Face value for top row upstairs @ Cintas for Nova was $70. We're fine at home. My point in this post was, we seem to play on campus or in empty arena in Philly, DC, and NY.
    Last edited by JTG; 02-22-2018 at 07:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JTG View Post
    Face value for top row upstairs @ Cintas for Nova was $70. We're fine at home. My point in this post was, we seem to play on campus or in empty arena in Philly, DC, and NY.
    Well, that was my point as well. I just put numbers to it. Even with the prime seats you see on TV, the attendance was pathetic last night.

I know what I say isn't taken as seriously but hear me out. I think the Georgetown fan base is still amazing. Those fans dont just disappear. However, they do get apathetic over time. My personal opinion is this. John Thompson III killed the desire of the Georgetown fan base. They love their Hoyas, but they won't go back until they see a winner. I think Patrick Ewing will do great things there but it will take time.

Until Ewing brings a winner to DC those fans wont come back. However, when they do... Georgetown becomes a monster to play at again. I just think those fans got fed up with JT3 so much they just refuse to go. Kind of like how some Bengal fans wont go back as long as Marvin Lewis coaches the team, but on a larger scale. JT3 outstayed his welcome by 2 or 3 years. I may be right or wrong but it may be a legit thought
    Last edited by stammina0721; 02-22-2018 at 07:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JTG View Post
    Anyone else concerned by the miniscule crowd for the game last night ? Is Georgetown no longer a hot ticket in DC ? Or is DC a frontrunner or strictly pro town ? Or, worst of all, is Xavier, even at #4, just not a draw?
    I've lived in DC for 4 years, and I've gone to each XU @ Georgetown game during that span. Last night was the worst crowd in my four years, but not by much. I don't consider games @ Georgetown to be much of a "road" game because the place feels like an empty cavern for most games - more of a neutral site than an away site. Granted, last night had some bad things going for it - the game was on a Wednesday night at 6:30. With DC traffic, I think a lot of people don't even bother to try to make that game. It was also 75 degrees and a beautiful night to be outside.

There has been one game where I felt like there was a decent showing of fans, and that was last season. That game was a midday game on a Saturday, and it happened to be New Years Eve, so I guess that was an easier game for fans to make.

I think a big part of the problem is that they haven't been competitive for a couple years, their arena isn't near campus, and I don't think sports is a big part of their culture anymore (all of my friends who graduated from Georgetown are pretty apathetic about sports). For those talking about ticket prices, I had tickets in the lower bowl and paid $12 for them, and that wasn't resale, but just a regular ticket purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by stammina0721 View Post
    Kind of like how some Bengal fans wont go back as long as Marvin Lewis coaches the team, but on a larger scale.
    I completely understand that. I didn’t renew my Bengals season tickets after 33 years. My wife said she was done going until both Marvin Lewis and Mike Brown were gone. They’re too expensive to pay for and not get used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Golf is a relatively simple game, played by reasonably intelligent people, stupidly.

Yeah, I was at the game. Beautiful day in DC. Shirt sleeve weather. Drank beer with DC Muskie (He says Hi to the Board). Capital One Arena is Double the size of Cintas yet they had half of a Cintas crowd. It’s tough getting downtown to the arena at that time of the day and unless GTown is ranked/must see Basketball people won’t fight to get down there although the Metro ride is easy on the Red Line.

Point is that unless it’s Syracuse or Maryland, or unless GTown is good, they won’t get a crowd. Most GTown people I talked to just think that the Hoyas are just too young and Ewing hasn’t proven himself yet, but they’re satisfied with the job he’s doing so far. It will take some time to recover from JTIII. He really lost the long time Fan base.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Providence and Nova drew over 12,000, Marquette over 15,000, Creighton over 18,000, Seton Hall 10,500, and Butler was sold out. It’s not like they are not facing tough crowds. Georgetown yes but not the rest of the league.