Page 25 of 44 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast
    Arizona has announced Miller won't coach in their game tonight

Somebody hit on it earlier, but the crimes that the FBI is interested in are bribery, corruption, wire fraud, and honest services fraud. They are applicable to these universities and their employees because the universities receive federal funds.

To my knowledge, the IRS has not yet gotten involved. While the FBI can investigate financial crimes, and obviously those will often have tax implications, the FBI itself does not have investigative jurisdiction over tax crimes; instead that falls to the IRS Criminal Investigation Division. They are very good at what they do.

Although here I'm not sure that IRS-CI will have to do too much heavy lifting when it's all said and done. Dollar amounts will eventually be revealed, and a simple audit should reveal whether or not those amounts were ever reported on a return (wild guess as to what that answer will be).

Lastly, as to whether it's a good use of taxpayer funds to investigate this because the tax income may not cover the costs of the investigation. Even disregarding the aspect that the FBI itself is not directly investigating the tax crimes, an income-expense analysis shouldn't be how criminal investigations are graded. While it sounds kind of crazy in context of "it's just college sports", these institutions get a lot of taxpayer dollars themselves and their employees may have been receiving or facilitating bribes. That's something worth looking into.

Quote Originally Posted by XUBison View Post
    Same when I was there, but I had no money, and I didn’t starve, nor did I ever go without beer. It sure seemed the student athletes had a similar experience. Say what you want, but this narrative that star athletes from revenue generating sports are starving is a stupid lie, designed to promote the notion that they are used/abused, and should therefore be paid.
    Tell me where I said "starving"? Hungry at times, yes, that's quite possible. Starving? No. Don't go making strawman arguments.

And considering that these guys consume over 1000 calories more per day than the average college student, the situation is not typical.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Miller releases a statement saying he is confident he will be vindicated. What the hell is going on? If he turns out to be right, the folks at ESPN have some explaining and apologizing to do...especially Bilas and Vitale.
    Last edited by Nigel Tufnel; 02-24-2018 at 03:47 PM.

Former Xavier athlete (not basketball) and trust me, the players do not go hungry. They have normal meal plans and they have basically unlimited "X Cash" to buy food at other restaurants. Not to mention, they get supplements, protein shakes, etc etc at Cintas. There is never a time of the day that the players would want something to eat and not be able to get it. Stop it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Tufnel View Post
    Miller releases a statement saying he is confident he will be vindicated. What the hell is going on? If he turns out to be right, the folks at ESPN have some explaining and apologizing to do...especially Bilas and Vitale.
    I wonder if the report of what he said wasn’t a verbatim quote, but rather a summarization with some poetic license added in for effect?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Golf is a relatively simple game, played by reasonably intelligent people, stupidly.

All-Conference
    The only thing that can possibly be in play is that money never changed hands, or they know there is zero evidence that money ever changed hands. What else is there, besides Miller saying the wiretap "wasn't me".

Either way, I'm completely shocked they are letting Ayton play. How can he continue to play, and how can the games they've played, and their post season not be in jeopardy with his playing?

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by GetUp5 View Post
    Former Xavier athlete (not basketball) and trust me, the players do not go hungry. They have normal meal plans and they have basically unlimited "X Cash" to buy food at other restaurants. Not to mention, they get supplements, protein shakes, etc etc at Cintas. There is never a time of the day that the players would want something to eat and not be able to get it. Stop it.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by GetUp5 View Post
    That's good to know. I know I've heard stories of players being hungry at times at other schools, but that could be because they had issues with bureaucratic mismanagement while Xavier has managed the situation well.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bjf123 View Post
    I wonder if the report of what he said wasn’t a verbatim quote, but rather a summarization with some poetic license added in for effect?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The whole story was unnamed sources....who knows if ESPN even heard the phone call. The FBI didn't leak the wiretap, so it was likely Dawkins' attorney...so there may be some issues with credibility. Ayton is playing tonight. The Miller statement was on Arizona letterhead, so, at this point, Zona is backing Miller. This is crazy.