Page 39 of 44 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    Yes they disputed the $400 but agreed they got $40 for a meal.
    Was that for the family? Classy agent taking them to Applebee's.

Sophomore
    Here is a summary of the Miller situation from a friend and former partner of mine who is a huge Zona fan (and grad) FWIW: The whole rebuttal with Miller hinges on his statement that he will be vindicated. In many minds of the fans on paid bulletin boards, the question is whether Miller is saying that he will be vindicated because the conversation where he allegedly discussed $100,000 did not happen on the phone or if there never was a conversation or if there was a conversation but the offer of $100,000 was never acted upon.

What is clear to me is that the ESPN article by Schlarbach was single sourced and not checked. It likely was not with an FBI representative and it almost feels like in the Watergate film, All the President's Men, where the source was talking in an obtuse fashion and miscommunicated what occurred by hanging up when he should not have. Be that as it may, ESPN then doubled down and allowed its hosts to talk smack about Miller and act like it was a proven fact that he was dirty. It went so far as Jay Bilas calling Miller not only a crook, but a stupid crook. Now ESPN pulled the article (after changing a year reference that made the story even less believable.)

My general view is that College Basketball is inherently dirty and recruiting players is an ugly game with money changing hands a lot. I don't think Miller is that stupid. I think that his assistant coaches Pasternack and Richardson were intermediaries and will get nailed. I think they will remain loyal to Miller, but that is up in the air. What I really think happened is that this 24 year old runner, Dawkins was talking big to Richardson about moving $100,000 to pay Quinnerly in exchange for Arizona's coaches convincing Ayton to go to Dawkin's boss's agency, ASM. I think Miller spoke to Dawkins and said, don't you talk to my assistant coaches about money, I am the head coach. I think he was trying to get Dawkins focused on Miller to let Miller be the focal point and the one who ultimately put the kibosh on any deal with Dawkins. Remember, Dawkins is a 24 year old pissant. I think all the stuff in emails to Dawkins' boss was fluff, trying to impress him.

Regardless, I still think that Miller (as well as Calipari, Coach K, Pittino, Izzo and so many big name and even medium name coaches) have "gentlemen's agreements' to "work together for mutual benefit.' Kind of like a tax CPA who refers work to a financial planner to get work back. Frequently money does not change hands (but I know sometimes is does). Certainly perks are given.

So in the end, I think that Miller might have to go and perhaps with him the whole current system. I think the NCAA amateurism approach is not working and I think that some day (not sure when), while we will continue to provide scholarships and cost of attendance to all players (in most if not all sports), schools will be able to woo those players that they want with actual money. Not all players should be paid, but the free market will take hold. This might change if the NBA backs off of its one and done rule. If they do, I think it will still happen, but will be a slower need for implementation.

Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    Yes they disputed the $400 but agreed they got $40 for a meal.
    So they said he bought them a meal but they also said they never met the guy. Makes no sense

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

https://247sports.com/Article/Source...soon-115621971

https://twitter.com/bsnow247?lang=en

Wow!! ESPN's butt has to be puckered right now. Find it also interesting that since their tirade Saturday, Bilas and Vitale have been very quiet.

Like this little nugget from the 247 article...."247Sports sources with knowledge of the content of the audio tapes – which remain under a federal seal – believe they would exonerate the coach of ESPN’s allegations."

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Tufnel View Post
    https://247sports.com/Article/Source...soon-115621971

https://twitter.com/bsnow247?lang=en

Wow!! ESPN's butt has to be puckered right now. Find it also interesting that since their tirade Saturday, Bilas and Vitale have been very quiet.

Like this little nugget from the 247 article...."247Sports sources with knowledge of the content of the audio tapes – which remain under a federal seal – believe they would exonerate the coach of ESPN’s allegations."
    Wow, if this story is not true or cannot be substantiated, I would imagine that Sean would have a pretty good cause of action against whoever broke the story. I thought it was just ESPN but I am also hearing references of Yahoo Sports. The silence of Jay Bilas and others at ESPN about this is pretty damning. I guess ESPN doesn't vet stories like the New York Times and other large papers. Miller may lose his reputation and his job but could potentially win big in a slander lawsuit. Either way, this may change the game of college basketball. Lets get rid of the one and done rules. Goes to show you how some brash talking punk can cause a lot of sh*t!

Yahoo Sports had absolutely nothing to do with this story. ESPN has been getting their butts handed to them lately by the articles that Yahoo has posted and I think they tried to get in front of one for once and didn't properly vet it. Someone needs to lose their job if the story isn't true and I hope Sean sues ESPN.

xu95

Sophomore
    There's gotta be something to this. I agree that ESPN is annoying and can be biased with some of the leagues they cover, but with a major major bombshell like this, there's no way it didn't get vetted at some pretty high levels. If it turns out to be false, I imagine several people will lose their jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by xu95 View Post
    Yahoo Sports had absolutely nothing to do with this story. ESPN has been getting their butts handed to them lately by the articles that Yahoo has posted and I think they tried to get in front of one for once and didn't properly vet it. Someone needs to lose their job if the story isn't true and I hope Sean sues ESPN.

xu95
    Don't forget that ESPN fired almost all of their college basketball writers last year!
    Mama always told me, stupid is as stupid does. @danagardens

Quote Originally Posted by letskeepitreal View Post
    Wow, if this story is not true or cannot be substantiated, I would imagine that Sean would have a pretty good cause of action against whoever broke the story. I thought it was just ESPN but I am also hearing references of Yahoo Sports. The silence of Jay Bilas and others at ESPN about this is pretty damning. I guess ESPN doesn't vet stories like the New York Times and other large papers. Miller may lose his reputation and his job but could potentially win big in a slander lawsuit. Either way, this may change the game of college basketball. Lets get rid of the one and done rules. Goes to show you how some brash talking punk can cause a lot of sh*t!
    Imagine the possibilities in quantifying the damages to both UA and Sean.

Opportunity cost of lost NCAAT revenue, resulting from lost recruits, beginning with Shaq's son.

Differential between alumni giving pre-report versus post report.

General damages for slander (?).

Everything that Sean can throw at them personally.

All that times mental anguish!

Not since Dan Rather got carried away has a "news organization" soiled itself so badly, maybe. I love it.
    X A V I E R

I’ve gone from being a big ESPN fan way back when, to enjoying them sweating bullets and taking flak today.

I get that there are more sports venues today, but how did they mess this up so badly? I’m not indifferent. I want to see them feel some pain. (Very un-Christian of me, I know.) Having pompous asses like Jay Bilas and Dick Vitale as their front men did them no favors, in my opinion.