Page 10 of 44 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    I'm trying hard to understand what exactly a school is suppose to do.
    I don't want to be naive about boosters and what they might do, but what if you have a situations where:
    1 - No one on a staff knows anything
    2 - Player knows nothing
    3 - Agent lend money to family to get a favorable look after player leaves college.
    4 - Player goes off to college and leaves
    5 - Loan is discovered

You punish the school and vacate wins when player was on the roster?
    Makes no sense. You'd have to have a family compliance officer that lived with every recruit's family and audited their records.
    It's the same issue I run into with FCPA compliance. People we hire or contract with could be paying bribes to foreign governments without our knowledge, and we can be on the hook for it. The way to mitigate that is to make a compelling case that you did everything reasonably within your power to prevent it. In our case, we make abundantly clear to our counterparties our expectations on compliance. We interview them. We train them. We put agreements in place that are VERY clear on expectations. We train the people who work with them to make sure they are setting the right tone with the counterparties and ensure that they are getting a consistent message that this is actually important to us and that we are not just paying lip service to it. And if we get a report or hear correspondence that questions a counterparties' compliance, we don't ignore it. We address it with the counterparty. Sometimes we have to cut ties.

Schools need to have similar types of compliance policies. They have to make sure the players know that the school is committed to compliance. They need to train the coaches. They need to train the players. They need to make sure the coaches are setting the right tone with players and their families. They need to show that they are taking warning signs that a player may be taking payments seriously and not ignore those signs. So there's a big gap between players taking these payments and the schools not knowing about it and the schools being absolutely powerless to combat that activity. The schools can't prevent everything, but they sure better make the effort to control the things that they can control and not turn a blind eye to red flags.

"The expense line “Edmond Sumner/Josh Jackson meeting” took place the same day X beat nova in Cincinnati. It looks like the meeting took place in Detroit. This seems like it only went through Ed’s dad." - @RickyB_708

https://twitter.com/RickyB_708/statu...55765122027522

Not sure if that means jack squat, but it's interesting nonetheless.

Yeah this is really nothing. There's nothing implicating Xavier or that we gained any advantage recruiting.

We'll be fine.

Freshman
    Read a little more are there is a photo of a document that lists Ed's father Ernest as to who a $2,500 payment was to go to. Also, there is reference to Tom Izzo, "Villanova coaches", and some of the big name guys as well that are currently still playing. It will be interesting to see what happens to Colin Sexton, Wendell Carter, Kevin Knox, and Miles Bridges for sure.

Sounds like March Madness might have something in common with NCAA football playoffs - they might be down to 4 eligible teams.

If Ed's dad took $, and Ed and the school didn't know, then it would seem a stretch to vacate wins.

I liked Edmond Sumner. I wish he had played more for us. He seemed like such a great guy.
    I have to believe that the school and the BE spend a lot of time instructing these kids as to the pitfalls of agents, money, etc.

If Ed knew about it, absent some drastic family crisis, then I'm not only disappointed, but very worried that one kid can hold the fate of an entire school/program in his hands. Crazy. They shouldn't ever have that power.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Junior
    If wins are vacated, do they count as losses? Mainly wondering how it affects Tre point total?

Quote Originally Posted by xu82 View Post
    Sounds like March Madness might have something in common with NCAA football playoffs - they might be down to 4 eligible teams.
    The joke I heard last week from someone I know on the journalism side of this was that Bowling Green would be a #2 seed if everything came out today.

Miller's spreadsheets are just a speck within the complete evidence within the investigation: https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-col...224417174.html

The more I think about this, the more pi$$ed off I get.
    If we have to vacate wins, and our program gets tarnished, because Ed's dad took $....while UNC has 1500 athletes take bogus classes and gets NADA....than screw this entire stupid thing.
    They will always be my Muskies, but this is a well and truly screwed up world we are playing in.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    If Ed's dad took $, and Ed and the school didn't know, then it would seem a stretch to vacate wins.

I liked Edmond Sumner. I wish he had played more for us. He seemed like such a great guy.
    I have to believe that the school and the BE spend a lot of time instructing these kids as to the pitfalls of agents, money, etc.

If Ed knew about it, absent some drastic family crisis, then I'm not only disappointed, but very worried that one kid can hold the fate of an entire school/program in his hands. Crazy. They shouldn't ever have that power.
    I hope he tears another acl. Bum.